Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,892 times

Advertisements

There are advantages to having a master pool builder develope your pool. Ours was 10K gallons, freeform, nothing special, bright sand ground bottom, SALT and infloor cleaning system. Additional upgrade for decking. 34K out the door, plan to spend another 5k to develop landscape, amenities, set up and ELECTRICITY (use your timer). Go SEE pools, lots of them before you sit down, make a list of all the things you really like. For example, we should have looked at 25 to 30 pools instead of trusting the designer (who was fairly new). Since it was a spasher/fun pool, we should have built more and longer benches for seating. Just an afterthought, of course. Go LOOK at pools! Keep it simple and plan to do a lot of overseeing! Don't let your guard down!

Last edited by mrdewey; 06-11-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: new info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM

21 posts, read 141,494 times
With the house I've just purchased, to be built in six months, the pool will cost between $21,000 to $25,000, depending on what I want. I will meet with the pool company in August to decide. It's a variable, depending on taste and desires. It could go way over that, but I'm keeping it simple.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 PM

65 posts, read 477,823 times
Okay, I just finished all this. My pool is $55,156.60 incl. tax from Dolphin. We are building a house up in Peoria at Vistancia. We got quotes from 10 different pool companies, President, Shasta, Pacific, Dolphin, Premier, Paddock and I can't remember who else, but we picked 10 to get estimates from as that was what we read from a website. We designed the pool ourself, which they said was good to do on this site as well so you can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. We also got many coupons starting at $15,995 for a "complete pool package", only to find out and be told by many companies that these are indeed come on's and you do need to upgrade certain things in order for the pool to work sufficiently, i.e., the filter that comes, may clean but not great, no vacuums, etc. Anyway, when all was said and done, the above price is what we got. It is for a small pool, because I didn't want our whole yard to be taken up with the "pool". This was the best price. Pacific came in about $7,000 more for less in our opinion. I did a lot of research on the better business bureau and on recommendations and referrals. There are a lot out there that have complaints, some major against them so be careful. We are living in New York now so we did everything from a distance through e-mails and will meet with our person in July to finalize any color choices. Some never even get back to you when you e-mail and call. What we have is a lagoon pool 21x19.6x12.6 in size or 70' perimeter. It is salt, which is less maintenance, important to us, as we are planning on coming and going from here to there, but it is more expensive. An in-floor system, (MagnaSweep in floor cleaning system) instead of the less expensive type with the hose that sits and floats all over the pool. This comes with 13 heas and a split skimmer. All excavation and grading, some didn't include a finish grading of your yard, so watch that too. The removal of existing walls/fences, the removing and replacing of your gate, the removing and replacing of your a/c unit if it is in the way, alot didn't include that. A Hayward 1 HP 425' cartridge filter. Filters come in three types, sand, cartridge, diaphanous earth. DE we were told were the best at water quality but required the most maintenance. Cartridge didn't require the hassle of backwashing (time element and wasting water) that the sand filter has. Also, how much electrical run you require costs money. An automatic water leveler so that your water doesn't go below the filter level when you are away. Again a necessity for us. How much gas lines you need, if a spa is involved. We wanted a raised beam in certain areas of the pool (14'). That is a rolled, curved edge on some areas of the pool. Whether or not you want tile, adds to the price. We have waterline tiling going around the pool. We also have boulders and a waterfall, a biggie for us. The size of the waterfall is a cost factor so we are having a smallish one. They tried, several companies, to have us get a bigger one. Ours is 25 sq. ft. with 14 boulders going around the pool in different areas. A huge cost factor is what you put around your pool known in the pool world as decking. Our pool ended up with 240' of it, which isn't alot as I didn't want a ton of cement going around the pool. I am also doing an adobe brick decking for the look. That is added into the above price and cost $7,645, so if you weren't getting that, you would subtract that amount. Regular acrylic lace Topping decking I believe was $3,000. We also have a spa that is going in, and a heater that was added into the price above as well, and cost $9787. The inside of both the pool and spa will be finished with PebbleTec, which is another upgrade again. Then, depending on what color you pick, some are more then others. The pool will have a swim step on which to sit in like 6" of water and be comfortable. It will also have one light inside the pool and one light in the spa. There are all kinds of lights too you can pick from but we went with the standard. I have not picked it yet, but are leaning on a very dark color to go along with the lagoon theme. I personally didn't want the aqua pool I had as a child growing up at my parent's house. And, lastly we put in a firepit. Nothing elaborate, just a little circle that will house an iron pot from which a flame will come up. We have some decking that I mentioned above going around that. No built in benches or anything like that. So, you can see how everything adds up. Sorry this is so long and involved, but I thought this was the best way you could see what the costs are and how involved it can get. Hope it helped!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Also, just another thing, someone mentioned going in the off season to get your pricing, don't know if that is true or not, but we purchased ours and signed off on it in March. So, just a fyi....................

Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 AM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
$55K, holy cow! That seems like a lot of money to me. I bet it will be gorgeous though.

You got the in-ground and many like it. I had that on my past pool and skipped it on the current one in favor of the "floating hose". The inground was always broken - fittings stuck in one spot - and it did not clean up leaves and debris in the pool, just blew them around. I had to manually vac it and/or chase leaves with the net. My gray box sucks up the leaves and never leaves (no pun) a dirty spot. The hose is a bit of a nuisance I admit, but I prefer it over the in-ground and saved a bundle too.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Guess I will find out if I love it or hate it, but my sister-in-law had the "floating hose" and she didn't like it when she was in the pool, said it was a pain in the neck. She now has the in-floor model and loves it, so being that I didn't have either growing up, my dad had a manually vacuum the pool out with a pool vacuum head on a pole attached to the skimmer with a long hose, I went with both her recommendation and that of the pool companies. As I said, I will let you know next spring! LOL...................

Old 06-14-2007, 05:53 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Pick your landscape shrubs and trees with care and the pool cleaning issues are a lot better. I have mesquite, bougainvilla, and eucalyptus nearby and all of them are messy all of the time - especially the eucs.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,906,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoverdi View Post
Okay, I just finished all this. My pool is $55,156.60 incl. tax from Dolphin. We are building a house up in Peoria at Vistancia. We got quotes from 10 different pool companies, President, Shasta, Pacific, Dolphin, Premier, Paddock and I can't remember who else, but we picked 10 to get estimates from as that was what we read from a website. We designed the pool ourself, which they said was good to do on this site as well so you can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. We also got many coupons starting at $15,995 for a "complete pool package", only to find out and be told by many companies that these are indeed come on's and you do need to upgrade certain things in order for the pool to work sufficiently, i.e., the filter that comes, may clean but not great, no vacuums, etc. Anyway, when all was said and done, the above price is what we got. It is for a small pool, because I didn't want our whole yard to be taken up with the "pool". This was the best price. Pacific came in about $7,000 more for less in our opinion. I did a lot of research on the better business bureau and on recommendations and referrals. There are a lot out there that have complaints, some major against them so be careful. We are living in New York now so we did everything from a distance through e-mails and will meet with our person in July to finalize any color choices. Some never even get back to you when you e-mail and call. What we have is a lagoon pool 21x19.6x12.6 in size or 70' perimeter. It is salt, which is less maintenance, important to us, as we are planning on coming and going from here to there, but it is more expensive. An in-floor system, (MagnaSweep in floor cleaning system) instead of the less expensive type with the hose that sits and floats all over the pool. This comes with 13 heas and a split skimmer. All excavation and grading, some didn't include a finish grading of your yard, so watch that too. The removal of existing walls/fences, the removing and replacing of your gate, the removing and replacing of your a/c unit if it is in the way, alot didn't include that. A Hayward 1 HP 425' cartridge filter. Filters come in three types, sand, cartridge, diaphanous earth. DE we were told were the best at water quality but required the most maintenance. Cartridge didn't require the hassle of backwashing (time element and wasting water) that the sand filter has. Also, how much electrical run you require costs money. An automatic water leveler so that your water doesn't go below the filter level when you are away. Again a necessity for us. How much gas lines you need, if a spa is involved. We wanted a raised beam in certain areas of the pool (14'). That is a rolled, curved edge on some areas of the pool. Whether or not you want tile, adds to the price. We have waterline tiling going around the pool. We also have boulders and a waterfall, a biggie for us. The size of the waterfall is a cost factor so we are having a smallish one. They tried, several companies, to have us get a bigger one. Ours is 25 sq. ft. with 14 boulders going around the pool in different areas. A huge cost factor is what you put around your pool known in the pool world as decking. Our pool ended up with 240' of it, which isn't alot as I didn't want a ton of cement going around the pool. I am also doing an adobe brick decking for the look. That is added into the above price and cost $7,645, so if you weren't getting that, you would subtract that amount. Regular acrylic lace Topping decking I believe was $3,000. We also have a spa that is going in, and a heater that was added into the price above as well, and cost $9787. The inside of both the pool and spa will be finished with PebbleTec, which is another upgrade again. Then, depending on what color you pick, some are more then others. The pool will have a swim step on which to sit in like 6" of water and be comfortable. It will also have one light inside the pool and one light in the spa. There are all kinds of lights too you can pick from but we went with the standard. I have not picked it yet, but are leaning on a very dark color to go along with the lagoon theme. I personally didn't want the aqua pool I had as a child growing up at my parent's house. And, lastly we put in a firepit. Nothing elaborate, just a little circle that will house an iron pot from which a flame will come up. We have some decking that I mentioned above going around that. No built in benches or anything like that. So, you can see how everything adds up. Sorry this is so long and involved, but I thought this was the best way you could see what the costs are and how involved it can get. Hope it helped!

You have a spa right? Is the pool heated as well? Do you have a waterfall and a water slide? Did you get the rocky mountain like formation with the negative edge? I friend of mine in Ocotillo got the negative edge lagoon type pool with a huge rock waterfall last year and paid 30,000. I thought that was expensive. I think it was a Paddock.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM

10 posts, read 45,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Pick your landscape shrubs and trees with care and the pool cleaning issues are a lot better. I have mesquite, bougainvilla, and eucalyptus nearby and all of them are messy all of the time - especially the eucs.
I had to chop down one of the trees in the back becasue every time we got a slight breeze, it would fill the tree with leaves.

I have the floating hose, Hayward type auto sweeper and love it. When I get in the pool, I take it out. Get out, put it back in. Not a big deal. Really sweeps well.

They make this skimmer attachment that allows you to adjust how much water comes through the sweeper and how much comes off the surface. Let's me keep the top and bottom both clean at the same time.

And cheap. Had to replace the whole bottom end and all moving parts of the sweeper because it was many years old and the pool needed a replaster so it was always sucking up bits of plaster. Anyway, $200 for a complete rebuild of the auto sweeper. Doubt you can match that with the in-ground.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
Eucalyptus trees are notorious for cracking pools. They love water and the roots will grow over to the edge, nestle up there, and swell up pushing against the pool and splitting the pool open. Just like when they are near sidewalks or driveways, they lift up the concrete.
Bougainvillas are messy with leaves and flowers constantly dropping everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area