Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What scenario?
A 6 35.29%
B 9 52.94%
C 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Population explosion due to the cheap real estate and a real economic recovery for all classes, which will never happen. People are going to want to live near work and not out in Maricopa for "affordable" housing. Sorry, but there is nothing affordable about $800 utility bills every month for a 2 bedroom with 2 people. lol but with that comes the second part.

The second part is the attitude of NYC. Typical "i'll put you in cement shoes if you **** me off" mentality. "Someone shoots you in front of me, im ignoring the problem, its not my job"
High Rises and Skyscrapers are better for a city , then Suburbs. Less of an impact of on the environment and Power Grid. As for the Attitude issue , LOL sorry but i'm an Ex-NYer so you can't place this on me. The New Transitways will absorb some of the population swells if done right. You guys do need a Subways. Ask for a Private-Public type of system it will get built faster and better. Usually costs less. Unfortunately there's not many options less for you guys other then Transit. You don't want Phoenix's Traffic to reach the Level of LA's. BTW take some pointers on how to build your system form them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
High Rises and Skyscrapers are better for a city , then Suburbs. Less of an impact of on the environment and Power Grid. As for the Attitude issue , LOL sorry but i'm an Ex-NYer so you can't place this on me. The New Transitways will absorb some of the population swells if done right. You guys do need a Subways. Ask for a Private-Public type of system it will get built faster and better. Usually costs less. Unfortunately there's not many options less for you guys other then Transit. You don't want Phoenix's Traffic to reach the Level of LA's. BTW take some pointers on how to build your system form them.
I think modern, properly engineered, skyscrappers are better then suburbs. We can't do subways on the west coat, too much rock and clay. But I agree with the other poster, if you want a city that relies on mass transit, move to one of those cities. I would rather move to Tokyo over NYC or Chicago.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
All three are appealing to me. I like to use my car, and it's an economy car. Yet I'm leery about how long we can continue building roads before the air quality gets as bad as Los Angeles. Note Phoenix air quality should be as good as San Francisco's and Portland Oregon's to make up for its tremendous heat in the summer.

Yet studies have shown again and again that individual auto transportation is the most efficient unless mass transit has a time table that runs very early and very late and frequent. There are times people would want to work at the office another two hours. Those people want assurance that they will be able to get home or to work in reasonable times.

(Now I put on my heat-resistant suit to be ready for flames)...Then you have to think of what type of people will mostly use public transit. It's a mix. But some of them are smelly. Some are stoned. Some have contagious viruses. Some are creepy. Some aren't mentally able to drive. I've seen all types as a busrider for awhile in college.

It depends on the routes I suppose. The light rail in Phoenix probably gets better than average riders, due to its route between ASU and downtown.

Mass transit should not be a replacement for the automobile, but should be a helluva convenient choice and should bring down both congestion and air pollution levels.

Having the current lightrail is a great thing for Phoenix. But IMHO, I think we'd be "on the right track" if we had two north/south lines One along Scottsdale/Rural blvd from Scottsdale Airpark to Chandler Blvd. The other in the west valley parallel to the 101 north/south. And both those lines should connect to the existing Phoenix metro rail.

Just a dream.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:20 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Looks like a dream. But then I worry about two things: 1) the cost and 2) having lots of light rail at every developed part of the valley will encourage more sprawl. I can imagine the Queen Creek of today will be Eloy, Arizona City, maybe even Picacho Peak in twenty-five years. Ouch!

I like the idea of the existing plan with an extension to Pardise Valley. Let urbanization and walkability take ahold of the current lines. I'm interested in the trio: ASU, SkyHarbor Airport, and downtown Phoenix. It would be great if the junkyards and street hustlers were cleared out and exported to Los Angeles and high rise lofts were built in place.

My own wish is a "if you build it, they will come" scenario. That white collar professionals, upscale restaurants and pubs, more workout clubs (a new LA Fitness with 5 lane lap pool downtown would be great), would be attracted to the locale. There are a lot of people who regularly fly out of SkyHarbor to work elsewhere, but call Phoenix home. Lots of these are single middle aged professionals who don't necessarily want to rub elbows with 21 year old college kids, but who don't fit into SFH family neighborhoods or the granny/gramps lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Interesting planned and proposed light rail lines Map by the Transpolitic

More Light Rail Presents Itself as the Answer for a Growing Phoenix « The Transport Politic

I really hope that happen's it would be a great regional investment into the Future.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 04-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area