U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 16,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
Arizona has the highest skin cancer rate of any state in the country.

Now that's BECAUSE people don't take proper care of them selfs. WEAR SUN SCREEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

11 posts, read 16,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
if i was to live anywhere in az it would be flagstaff. I have been to flagstaff in the winter & summer & tucson & phoenix only in the winter. I went to hoover dam in nv in the middle of summer & crossed over into az. It was horribly hot but nice scenery & a very small town (in az). I remember the big clock with the time zone change on the state border (nv/az). The forcast for today in phoenix,az is high-107, low-83. The forcast for yucaipa,ca (so.ca/inland)) today is high-86, low-54 & no humidity just like phoenix (dry heat). Summer nights are generally cool here (low 60s). I sleep comfortable with just my fan on. I havent used my swamp cooler yet this yr. Im putting it off as long as i can. Last yr i used my cooler from july-sept.

what the hell is a swamp cooler?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,423,941 times
I really couldn't say that I enjoy the heat or hot weather but I've noticed in the last 2 years I've been getting more used to it. I don't really mind it. My mother once told me that every season has its own beauty. How very true. Summer is what you make of it. Some of it depends on how tough you are mentally. If you think you can handle it you'll find a way and if not, you'll complain and be miserable. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water and wear light colored clothing. I know that summers in Phoenix and Scottsdale can get hot because of their location but being tough mentally can make a difference. It has really helped me. And lastly, at least those of you in Phoenix don't have the humid and sticky Miami summers.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM

455 posts, read 520,782 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I have this weird thing when it comes to temperature:

Once it gets past say, 103F, I really can't tell much difference between that and 110F or even higher. It's as if my brain turns off my ability to sense how really hot it is, therefore it might as well be 115F for all I care. Just feels like it does when I'm blow-drying my hair...except all over my body instead! And yet the weather forecasters love to hype how incredibly warm it's going to be every day (and it usually ends up being a bit lower than what they predict).

What I'd like to know is, from a physiological pov, does it really make that much difference if I'm working outside in 105 vs. 115 weather? Will one necessarily get dehydrated faster the warmer it is (particular between 2 already piping hot temps)? Because to my body and brain it seems to feel about the same.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,824,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinsfuru View Post
what the hell is a swamp cooler?
Evaporative Cooler. Usually you put a big blower motor on the roof. The motor sucks outside air through a wet pad or coarse filter, the water in the pad evaporates cooling the air.

Pros: It works really well in dry air. The blower motor requires less energy than an AC or heat pump will. I grew up with them. They are not too hard to fix, except the heat.

Cons: You have to continously run water over the cooler pads to keep them from drying out. Even though you recycle the water it continously uses water. You can turn it to vent only, but that just brings in the hot outside air. Also it humidifies the interior of your house to a degree.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 6,017,148 times
It all depends if you work outside or not. Wow, those poor construction dudes out there today. They looked really hot. When my husband was a plumber and digging trenches it made a difference from 105 to say 115. But life goes on, lol, you do seem to get more kidney stones here. I don't know if it's the heat or the hard water, maybe the combo.
I don't really notice the difference working in A/C. It doesn't work as well at 115 but it isn't really that noticeable. I would say the night time temps are the biggest drag. Otherwise, you don't really notice.
It sucks to still have high temps at night, cost a lot of money to run that air constantly. lol

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM

56 posts, read 95,517 times
Anything over 80 is annoying to me. Anything over 100 I try not to leave the house until dark. I still love Arizona though, oddly. I just think of the summer months as some people's snowed in months. Either way I spend most of my summer's indoors just like the people who get 100 feet of snow.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,824,956 times
Well, I will say this. When I'm at Subway dripping sweat, still puffing from the bike ride and they ask if I want my sandwich toasted, I just laugh and say, "No, I'm already toasted!"

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,348,039 times
No crowds, light traffic, everything is air conditioned. Only if you work outside would the heat bother you these days.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

137 posts, read 141,830 times
So NO ONE lives without AC in Phoenix? There has to be some people?

When do you guys turn on the AC and turn off? Does it run for months without stopping? Do you pay the power company with the first born or do they still accept blood?

What about pools? My grandpas above ground pool up here in southwest WI is already at 86F and it doesn't even get full sun? Do pools in Phoenix just evaporate?

I've had AC on a few times this year (Maybe a total of 5 days)...we had an 81F dew point 2 days ago, which is insane...its like a swamp up here (a foot of rain since June 1st)...mosquitos will eat you alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area