U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,380,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktank232 View Post
So NO ONE lives without AC in Phoenix? There has to be some people?

When do you guys turn on the AC and turn off? Does it run for months without stopping? Do you pay the power company with the first born or do they still accept blood?

What about pools? My grandpas above ground pool up here in southwest WI is already at 86F and it doesn't even get full sun? Do pools in Phoenix just evaporate?

I've had AC on a few times this year (Maybe a total of 5 days)...we had an 81F dew point 2 days ago, which is insane...its like a swamp up here (a foot of rain since June 1st)...mosquitos will eat you alive.
Yes, yes and yes, ha ha, the Devil doesn't really come down to Georgia, he comes here every summer, I swear he lives here somewhere. lol He likes the dry heat. lol

I'm sure there are people without air, but when the electric goes out or an ac unit goes down you realize how much you rely on it, your house heats up with in min. of it turning off. This time of year it's pretty much running full time. I imagine no difference from your heaters in the winter. Except instead of digging out the car we just get in it and go, ouch, crap, scramble for the air condition and drive fast for 5 min getting it to actually work. Trying not to touch anything metal until the car cools down. But the thought of breaking down in the car and having to walk anywhere in the heat sucks, just like the cold. At least there is no snow to deal with. Just dirt. ha ha There is a lot of dirt. You can taste it in the air. ha ha You can never fully get rid of it in your house either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM

97 posts, read 159,351 times
I actually like the heat.. o_O

Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,380,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegirl95 View Post
I actually like the heat.. o_O
A lot of people love it. ha ha I call them "heatcores" or "heathards". lol
Every year they are excited for the summer, it amazes me, but then there are people who love it really cold too. And then God made Southern Cali, for us who like the middle of the road. he he
"Go heat"!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,573,422 times
Quote:

When do you guys turn on the AC and turn off? Does it run for months without stopping? Do you pay the power company with the first born or do they still accept blood?

What about pools? My grandpas above ground pool up here in southwest WI is already at 86F and it doesn't even get full sun? Do pools in Phoenix just evaporate?

I've had AC on a few times this year (Maybe a total of 5 days)...we had an 81F dew point 2 days ago, which is insane...its like a swamp up here (a foot of rain since June 1st)...mosquitos will eat you alive.
I'm sure there are some people who cannot afford the comfort of air-conditioning, it has become very isolated in modern times however.

Sometimes the units break down and people simply have to endure the sweltering heat until they can either afford to have it repaired, or wait for a serviceman to find time in his busy schedule to fit them in.

Electric bills can be overwhelming here. People like to brag about how inexpensive the cost of living is compared to other major cities but we really make up for it on power bills, water bills, car insurance, and registration fees.

In July the units run almost non-stop because it stays hot by day and night.

I have noticed how well-maintained most of the pools are at least around where I live. When the air temperature is over 110 and the water temperature is 85 that is a huge relief. No the pool water doesn't evaporate, that is just silly.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,644,752 times
All I know is I was happy when May came around after I moved here. When I first got here, I had bad allergies for a couple weeks. The heat came and basically eliminated those allergies.

But this heat + humidity + not cooling down much at night combo is where I can kind of see peoples' dislike for summer. I'm not really complaining... but I wish summer here would stay like June. June isn't bad whatsoever.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,573,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
All I know is I was happy when May came around after I moved here. When I first got here, I had bad allergies for a couple weeks. The heat came and basically eliminated those allergies.

But this heat + humidity + not cooling down much at night combo is where I can kind of see peoples' dislike for summer. I'm not really complaining... but I wish summer here would stay like June. June isn't bad whatsoever.
I agree.

June is the most tolerable summer month here because it's a dry heat.

July and August are just as hot or hotter than June but then there is the monsoon season and the humidity that goes along with it on top of the sweltering heat.

The only thing that brings any kind of relief in July or August is the monsoon thundershowers but they are not as frequent as they used to be.

It seems like in the last decade the monsoon season has become the nonsoon season.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM

5,077 posts, read 5,121,062 times
My allergies were always good in the dead of summer, but late Aug. to early Sept. they would return with a vengeance and back in February to May again. They calmed down after years of living here, but allergies are one drawback to this area.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM

5,077 posts, read 5,121,062 times
Quote:

Last week on the news, a woman died in her house, she was in her 60's I think? No a/c and health issues. The state was helping her w/ her utilities, but she wouldn't turn A/C on, neighbors said. And, they'd drop water off in jugs and they'd be left there. Maybe dementia, too? I don't know the whole story, but heat kills out here. Soon, you'll here the reports of the rescues in the mts. of people hiking in the dead of summer, without their cell phones or enough water...
My A/C runs from late May till October 1st. But, now it's every 15 minutes, it seems to kick in and at night, too.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM

97 posts, read 159,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
A lot of people love it. ha ha I call them "heatcores" or "heathards". lol
Every year they are excited for the summer, it amazes me, but then there are people who love it really cold too. And then God made Southern Cali, for us who like the middle of the road. he he
"Go heat"!
OH YES! I love going out to the beach and swimming. (Sun screen first though, if I'm going to be in the sun for a long point of time..) And shorts and flipflops. Though I actually never wear shorts. Always in jeans. But ya know.. It's hard to barrel race in shorts and flip flops.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM

17,593 posts, read 20,934,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

Right after Labor Day it will go back to "June" - but a little cooler than June especially at night/morning. Hang in there. It is only a few weeks away (I keep telling myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area