U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM

31 posts, read 48,679 times
Unhappy Komoto Dragons and Gila Monsters?

My daughter (17) is afraid to leave our apartment because my other daughter's boyfriend (18) told her there are Komoto dragons and Gila monsters in Arizona (we just moved here from Jersey two weeks ago). I told her I would post here to get the real scoop. She's already freaked out by the roaches in our apartment.

komoto dragon - Google Search

gila monster - Google Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,999,007 times
We defiantly have Komodo Dragons in Phoenix. They are fast and vicious. You do NOT want to be bitten by them.

You should be safe unless you feel like jumping the fence at the zoo or taking a 20hr. flight to Indonesia.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 PM

17 posts, read 43,238 times
Smile komodos and gilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRosesCenter View Post
My daughter (17) is afraid to leave our apartment because my other daughter's boyfriend (18) told her there are Komoto dragons and Gila monsters in Arizona (we just moved here from Jersey two weeks ago). I told her I would post here to get the real scoop. She's already freaked out by the roaches in our apartment.

komoto dragon - Google Search

gila monster - Google Search
tell your daughter not to worry. We don't have komodos in Arizona unless she wants to go to the Phoenix zoo to see them. We do have Gila monsters, but they are very shy animals and are found mainly in the southern and western areas of Arizona. The poison comes from the fact that they do not have an anus and therefore they expell it through their mouths. I have been here for 7 years and have only seen one.

I would be more worried about a scorpions, black widows or Arizona Browns (our version of the brown recluse) climbing in your shoes or clothing. This is a shake before wearing state. I would truely be more worried about all the car accidents the most.

Tell her to just be smart and get out and enjoy all that Arizona has to offer. Welcome to Arizona.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Shake before wearing?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,999,007 times
Quote:
Shake before wearing?
Check your shoes. You don't want a spider bite/scorpion sting on your pretty little toes.

Honestly, Where you live you shouldn't have a problem with any little critters. As a general rule (not always) the more establist parts of town don't have a problem with the scary native insects.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:18 AM

2,249 posts, read 755,819 times
Think of it this way, There are approximately 4.5 MILLION people living in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, Do you think this many people would be living in one area if these are other creatures ran rampant through the streets causing destruction and killing people everyday?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
There are approximately 4.5 MILLION people living in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, Do you think this many people would be living in one area if these are other creatures ran rampant through the streets causing destruction and killing people everyday?
I told her that but I thought people telling her that in this thread would carry more weight than mom telling her. But now she's afraid of the black widows. :

Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 AM

2,249 posts, read 755,819 times
Quote:
I told her that but I thought people telling her that in this thread would carry more weight than mom telling her. But now she's afraid of the black widows. :
If you notice I'm not even in Arizona, I live in Northern California but have family in the Phoenix Metro Area so I often study and follow that area and the Black Widows mainly stay outside, as long as you have an exterminator and no cracks to the outside of your house you should be in good shape and if you do see one, obviously you don't want to poke it and harass it, either capture if you can or...kill it in cold cold blood. I myself am terrified of Spiders but every year I can't wait to visit the area. She has nothing to worry about as long as you check your clothes and shoes and be careful when outside near or handling objects that a spider/scorpion could be living under, I'm sure there are PLENTY of spiders and other animals living where you are currently and she isn't worrying is she?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,522,196 times
Your chances of seeing a Komodo dragon in the wild here is 0%. They are only found in the wild in some parts of Indonesia - islands I believe.

Gila monsters move so slow and are so easily recognizable that it would take one curious person to go up to it. Here's a quote I found on Wikipedia:

"I have never been called to attend a case of Gila monster bite, and I don’t want to be. I think a man who is fool enough to get bitten by a Gila monster ought to die. The creature is so sluggish and slow of movement that the victim of its bite is compelled to help largely in order to get bitten."
—Dr. Ward, Arizona Graphic, September 23, 1899

Tell your daughter not to worry about any of those.

Personally, I would love to see a gila monster out in the wild while hiking. I heard they're very rare to see, so it would be a cool experience. I just moved here, so I've got plenty of time to do some exploring!!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,639,142 times
hahahahaha........are you kidding? in that case don't come to Florida because we REALLY do have alligators in almost every pond.......sorry I couldn't help it.....

I think the "shoe shaking" is mostly for men...99% of my shoes are sandals, I am going to get rid of all my boots as none are meant for hiking.......hahahaha a scorpion won't have fun in them!

BTW that Gila Monster looks really COOL, I would love to take pictures of one....(when we get there....) what do you do to get them out for a photo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area