Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 31,385 times

Advertisements

After searching the forum, I didn't find much information about barking dogs. By the way, I don't want to start a debate between dog lovers and not dog lovers...

So, I'm currently living in Colorado where the dog population is very, very high. It's not rare to see 2 or 3 dogs spending the whole day in the backyard with homeowners gone for the day. Therefore, lots and lots of barking all around and everyday. I used to live in TX and it was a completely different story. Very quiet on that subject and I think I heard barking once or twice in 8 years!

We're considering a relocation (buying, not renting) to Goodyear and wondering how's the dog population there ? Lots of complaint about barking dogs ? Or not ? From what I said earlier, is it more like Colorado or like Texas ?

Also, with the hot summer days, am I right to expect dogs are kept inside ? But how about winter months ?

Thanks already for your answers and please, no debating about dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I live in Goodyear and we have barking dogs here. It drives me nuts and I don't understand how people can stand for their dog to bark and bark as they have to be hearing it also. My neighbor will let his dog bark non stop while he is in the backyard and never say a word to it.

I don't think barking dogs are a regional issue, it's more luck of the draw with who you have for neighbors.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-23-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
This is the Arizona Revised Staute for unrestrained barking dogs etal:

Citation: A. R. S. § 11-1005

Summary: This Arizona statute provides that each county board of supervisors may regulate dogs, including the designation of a county enforcement agent, contracting with any city or town to enforce the provisions of any ordinance enacted by such city or town for the control of dogs, and for the unincorporated areas of the county, by ordinance, regulate, restrain and prohibit the running at large of dogs and the excessive and unrestrained barking of dogs. They may also establish either civil or criminal penalties for violations of the above ordinances and establish a rabies quarantine zone.

This site provides all the laws and answers regarding dog control in AZ.
Cities may enact additional laws regarding dogs plus noise and nuisance laws.

Arizona Consolidated Dog Laws

Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
This is a big dog state, I'm not sure about Goodyear but in Phoenix I have always had barking neighbors. lol You can call the cops but it becomes a hassle. I just try to play loud music.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
In HOA areas, the HOAs sometimes enforce the barking dog thing. It used to be that way in Estrella, but I think they slashed the community patrol that wrote people up. Could be wrong. I hear dogs from time to time, but its not a constant thing. But, yes, just about everyone around here has a dog or two.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM

19 posts, read 60,797 times
Default Not Much Help With Barking

We have a barking dog next door. The owner has no intention of curbing it. Crime Stop (City of Phoenix) will not respond to a barking dog call. We have finally filed a complaint with the City. Had to have a log of barking since the other homes close are mostly vacant and we didn't have other signatures. The owner has a hearing next week. We'll see what happens.

This is the only barking dog in the neighborhood. There are a lot of dogs in Phoenix.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM

223 posts, read 596,234 times
I haven't heard any barking dogs in my area of Scottsdale (near Shea/101). Thank goodness! I'm not home much during the day, but at least I never hear anything at night. I know we have a restriction on dog size.

Personally I believe if you can't stay home and keep your dog company you should not own one

Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
As people have already responded, there are lots of dogs here, and many people do not control their barking; many do. And yes, during the hot summer they are mostly inside.

HOA's can only cite a barking dog issue if they have proof that the dogs are creating a "nuisance". The "Nuisance" covenant in CC&R's is not spelled out to define when a barking dog becomes a nuisance.

If they try to make the determination on their own, and issue violations and fines, they could be setting themselves up for a law suit.

The only way they can have proof is if the complainant calls the police department. Or if several neighbors complain about the same dog.

The police follow their procedure to determine if the barking is a nuisance. Then the owner can provide the HOA with the ordinance violation document and the HOA can then issue a violation letter.

Most HOA's will treat barking dog issues as a neighbor/neighbor issue until they are provided with a police report showing that the ordinace was violated, or unless there are numerous neighbor complaints where it is obvious that the dog is being a real nuisance to the community (not to just one neighbor).

A homeowner came to our board a couple years ago complaining about a neighbors dog. We told her that we could not make the determination that it is a nuisance. Our reasoning was that dogs bark. That's what they do. And we hear dogs bark occasionally throughout the neighborhood for one reason or another.

We don't know if the dogs are barking because they are frightened, hurt or scared, and we are not qualified to make that determination. We also don't know if other neighbors are bothered by occasional barking because this is the only complaint we have ever had.

We gave her two options to prove to us that the dog was a nuisance.

One was to have several other neighbors write a letter to the board and come to the meeting to make their formal complaint.

The other was to call the Gilbert police and make a formal complaint. The police would then follow the ordinance and make the determination. Bring the police report to us. If the police determined the barking was a nuisance, then we would accept that and issue a violation letter.

She never did any of that. So apparently the barking wasn't enough of a nuisance for her to take any action, nor was it bothering the other neighbors.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
honestly it's not easy to get much recourse in goodyear - they do have an official policy though

Quote:
It is unlawful to keep a dog within the city limits that habitually barks, howls or otherwise disturbs the peace and quiet of a neighborhood. If you are having a problem with such a dog in your neighborhood, it is suggested that you first try to talk peacefully with the owner of a chronic barking dog and explain your concerns. If the person is unresponsive, you can fill out an Action Request Form to report any possible code violations. To obtain a Barking Dog Complaint Packet, please call
Goodyear, AZ - Official Website

I can't find it online, but i'm pretty sure in the packet you need to keep a log of barking, get verification from neighbors and even possibly a recording

I don't think its any worse in goodyear than any other part of the city - in fact I think it's kind of comforting that barking dogs are the #1 complaint in the city as far as noise violation calls are concerned

we have a few yippers in our neighborhood that seem to go pretty much non-stop .... it's rare that i actually hear them though

i think it's something to pay attention to when looking where to land .... you may need to deal with it though

i have to admit it drives me nuts - not so much the dogs, but the owners .... when I was living in MN my neighbors kept a dog chained to their front patio that would howl all night - ear piercing high pitched howling ...... after about a month of this I started making nightly visits to their house at 2-3 am with loud requests that they control their animal

after about 2 weeks of this I had a whole houseful of enemies, but one less barking dog as they moved him to their fenced back yard where he quit howling

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 31,385 times
Thanks you all for your answers. It's hard to figure out what is "a lot of dogs" for everybody. 2 ? 5 ? 10 ? For instance, around my house there is 11 dogs from hearing distance. Some we never hear, others we hear all the time. When I go for a walk, I hear barking all the way. I tried to send an anonymous letter but it didn't change a thing :-(

Anyway, I'll be careful next time we move to pay careful attention about barking dogs. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area