Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,251,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
My mistake, this will be ONE OF THE BIGGEST UPSETS IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL!! Even though the Coyotes are the higher rated seed and have home ice advantage. LOL
Let's recap

1. The ESPN analysts unanimously chose the Red Wings
2. Vegas picked the Red Wings
3. 2/3rd of the ESPN fan poll picked the Red Wings
4. The Red Wings have 6 All-Stars and a Selke winner
5. The Coyotes lone All-Star and highest scorer is out
6. The Red Wings won 2 games in Phoenix
7. The Red Wings beat the Coyotes in the regular season
8. The Red Wings won more games in Phoenix than the Coyotes in this series thus far

but let's ignore all of that, it would not be an upset because the Coyotes are seeded higher...LOL

Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM

4,620 posts, read 9,247,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Since you admit you know little of hockey....
LOL, I never said I know little of hockey, I said I'm not a big fan of hockey in the least. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were watching LA Kings games every night. Even went to a dozen or so Kings/Ducks games over the years and a couple PHX games. I just fell out of love with the sport many years ago, and never returned as a fan. It doesn't mean I don't understand the game. Plus I've played organized sports all my life, I know what it means to "upset".

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's recap

1. The ESPN analysts unanimously chose the Red Wings
2. Vegas picked the Red Wings
3. 2/3rd of the ESPN fan poll picked the Red Wings
4. The Red Wings have 6 All-Stars and a Selke winner
5. The Coyotes lone All-Star and highest scorer is out
6. The Red Wings won 2 games in Phoenix
7. The Red Wings beat the Coyotes in the regular season
8. The Red Wings won more games in Phoenix than the Coyotes in this series thus far
1. That's called a prediction. A 4 vs 5 series is always close.
2. Vegas sets lines to get 50% of the money on each team, so they collect the juice. Has nothing to do with whom is better, but has more to do with where Vegas feels the money will go.
3. This is why Vegas also picked the wings.
4. So? They still performed at a lower level than the Coyotes this season.
5. OK, that's unfortunate. That would make the win even bigger. He may still play, right?
6. Didn't the Coyotes win two in Detroit? Yep.
7. Means they may be difficult match-up, makes a win bigger. What were the 2 teams respective records throughout the regular season, though?
8. Ditto for the Coyotes in Detroit.

Look, I agree, it is a HUGE game, and I'll be rooting for the Coyote's. I just had to chuckle the other night when one of the local sportscasters said it would be a big upset if the Coyote's pulled it out. Detroit had a bad year, if the Coyotes get by them, the competition is only going to get tougher. It seems like people are trying to blow their whole wad on this one series, when in actuality, Phoenix is supposed to beat the lower seed.

That's all... carry on

Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,172,292 times
in 18 games after the olympics the redwings grabbed 78% of possible points with a 13-3-2 record

they went from being out of the playoffs to being a 5 seed

they were able to get healthy and were rolling - given they have played in the last 2 SC finals, were the hottest team in the league, had good h2h success against phoenix and the coyotes franchise hasn't won a playoff series since 1987 back when they were still in winnipeg .... well, you have to call that an upset

especially when you look at some of the key indicators for things like the playoffs .... the 'yotes PP was the 3rd worst in the NHL at 14.6% - detroit was 10th on the kill at 83.9% and 9th on the PP @ 19.2%

the 'yotes are at 21.4% on the PP in the playoffs and detroit is down to 17.9% (which is consisten with how well the 'yotes can kill penalties)

given that the 'yotes lost doan pretty early and had to play without fiddler for some games what they have done is pretty impressive

this would definitely be an upset

it wouldn't be the biggest upset of all time

but an upset none the less

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,406,644 times
Is it on TV? Other than FSAZ...because even though I have cable, I don't have that channel

Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 157,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Thank You for injecting some facts into this discussion. I don't know how he omitted 10 time All-Star Lidstrom, 2 time All-Star Rafalsky and 1 time All-Star Bertuzzi. Their backup goalie Osgood is a 2 time All-Star. He says he is trying to keep the record straight but how does one do that if he fails to mention 4 All-Stars in addition to Zetterberg and Datsyuk. How is it "far fetched" to say Detroit has a plethora of talent when they have 6 All-Stars and a 7th player ho won the Selke trophy??? The Coyotes are playing well because of their defense and discipline but even most Red Wings fans know the talent on their team is much deeper. It just sounds like he is making excuses.
That's your best argument? Seriously?

Bertuzzi is 35, Rafalski is 36, Osgood is 37, and Lidstrom is going to be 40 (yes, FORTY) on Wednesday. Those are the 4 "All-Stars" you listed. They still got a little left in the tank, but those guys are freakin' old.

That's like me saying a team with Lemieux, Messier, Forsberg, and Brodeur would be unstoppable. An ECHL team would smoke them 10-0. Why? Because they're past their prime. Arguing that the Wings have the upper hand because of 4 All-Stars with an average age of 37 is just silly.

I'm a die-hard Wings fan, but I'll admit they're nearing a transition period. They'll be lost without Lidstrom when he leaves. But if making them seem better than they are makes 'yotes fans sleep better, then more power to you I guess.

The Wings had some steam at the end of the season, yes. But momentum rarely carries over into crazy NHL postseasons. You'd probably know that if you watched hockey any other time besides the playoffs.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM
zox

344 posts, read 477,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmualum View Post
That's your best argument? Seriously? Bertuzzi is 35, Rafalski is 36, Osgood is 37, and Lidstrom is going to be 40 (yes, FORTY) on Wednesday. Those are the 4 "All-Stars" you listed. They still got a little left in the tank, but those guys are freakin' old. That's like me saying a team with Lemieux, Messier, Forsberg, and Brodeur would be unstoppable. An ECHL team would smoke them 10-0. Why? Because they're past their prime. Arguing that the Wings have the upper hand because of 4 All-Stars with an average age of 37 is just silly. I'm a die-hard Wings fan, but I'll admit they're nearing a transition period. They'll be lost without Lidstrom when he leaves. But if making them seem better than they are makes 'yotes fans sleep better, then more power to you I guess. The Wings had some steam at the end of the season, yes. But momentum rarely carries over into crazy NHL postseasons. You'd probably know that if you watched hockey any other time besides the playoffs.
Lidstrom made the most recent All-Star team. I would say that qualifies as having more than a "little left in the tank." Your argument would make sense if we were talking about the NFL but hockey players can play at a high level late in their careers. Shane Doan is 34 and is our highest scorer and All-Star. Messier led his team to the Stanley Cup at 34. Lemieux made the All-Star team at 36. Brodeur made the All-Star team at 35. If a team consisted of those players at those ages, it would be dominant. Furthermore, experience counts for a lot in hockey and all of those players have a great deal of experience in these types of situations so that is an advantage over the Coyotes. Your team consists of 6 All-Stars not 4 when you account for Datsyuk and Zetterburg. If you want to downplay the talent on your team for fear of being embarrassed in an upset, I suppose I can understand that but at least try to construct an argument that makes sense. Saying a player like Lidstrom has a little left in the tank makes no sense when he just made the All-Star team.

Last edited by zox; 04-27-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM

35 posts, read 157,607 times
I still don't think the Wings were the favorites, but I guess that doesn't matter now -- GO WINGS!!
But in all honesty, gutsy effort by the 'yotes, and being a future resident of Phoenix, I'm rooting for them all the way (as long as they're not playing the Wings). They remind me of the Hawks a lot, they have a pretty bright future ahead of them IMHO.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 PM

380 posts, read 1,060,301 times
the Coyotes were slight favorites tonight.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,251,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
the Coyotes were slight favorites tonight.
Source?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,042,028 times
I refused to join in on the "fodder" but....

Gotta take y'all hockey fans to the "Joe" to see what hockey fandom is all about.

Now, it ain't the 'ole Olympia in downtown Motown but it still has its charm.

Go Wings.

Bring Lord Stanley's Cup where it belongs.

Whenever the Red Wings win a championship, there's at least a million souls packin' the streets for the victory parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area