Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,214 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24yo female grad student going to ASU for the next several years. My parents are going to invest in a gated-community condo; I'll pay rent to them while I'm living there.

We're looking in the borders of:
the river (N)
Price Fwy (E)
Superstition Fwy (S)
and 143/60 (W)

My mom thinks we should get one on the orbit bus line for my convenience; I think it will probably be too close to partying undergrads. Thoughts on where to look and to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
I'm a 24yo female grad student going to ASU for the next several years. My parents are going to invest in a gated-community condo; I'll pay rent to them while I'm living there.

We're looking in the borders of:
the river (N)
Price Fwy (E)
Superstition Fwy (S)
and 143/60 (W)

My mom thinks we should get one on the orbit bus line for my convenience; I think it will probably be too close to partying undergrads. Thoughts on where to look and to avoid?
Some of the Orbit bus lines (there are more than one) go FAR from partying undergrads. The closer you are to the 60 (Superstition) and, say, from Rural Rd east, the further you get from that type of environment. You may NOT find a gated community, though, there aren't that many in Tempe. I don't know that gated is required to be safe in Tempe. There's also paid bus lines to help you get to campus, as well, depending on exactly where you end up.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,454 times
a) condos are very cheap now.
b) cash works best.
I offered 40 for one a few weeks ago, and got a quick counter for 61K. It had sold for 270K. Only rents for 725; so I passed. Nice golf course.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
Why not take a look at the complexes called Riverwalk, Red Rox and Belaflora. These 3 are all clustered together on 53 St. & Van Buren, Phoenix. All are gated, newer buildings, in good condition and have low maintenance fees. I used to work at Belaflora and I can tell you that there are many young professional people and grad students living there.

They are only about 1.5 miles from ASU. Often overlooked because they are in Phoenix not Tempe, but they are closer than many in Tempe.

Mod Cut

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-26-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,454 times
I've seen those popping up on E. Van Buren. Looked like about 50K for a 1 br/ and they are newer than most. How is the jet noise over there?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
It never bothered me, but I was there in the day time. I wasn't sleeping (except at my desk). I do not think it is a big issue, but I guess you would have to visit a night time to see if it bothers you.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,472 times
i live east of price freeway at university shadows. its not gated but i think its safe. its super quiet. its super nice. its super cheap.

i love it. great investment. altho east of the freeway, its still tempe (you get the right zip code ) and so i think it is at its floor, pricewise. will always be a valuable rental.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
Try checking out the 700+ unit complex called Villagio Tempe on Rio Salado just East of the Price Freeway. Don't get it confused with the Villagio Tempe apartment complex. It is just East of your boundary, but is only 3 miles to the University, and close to the Tempe Marketplace. Above all of the condo's I would check out the Brownstones around Wilson and 5th Street just on the West end of Downtown Tempe. There's other Brownstones in the area as well. I think these would come up as "Townhomes" on an MLS search rather than condos. If given the choice, I would always go with a townhome over a condo for resale reasons. If you are sold on condo's, there are others in the area such as Hayden Square (just off Mill Avenue), and 525 Town Lake Condos (gated), Regatta Point (next to 525 Town Lake) and others.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 12,214 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm taking it all in.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,963 times
AZJoeD made an excellent suggestion (positive rating applied!). I think it suits your needs very well.

If you desire peace and quiet do NOT consider Hayden Square, trust me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area