U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,547,651 times
I second the congrats. I know you didn't like it here. I have a few things I need to do before I can leave.

Maybe one day I will leave too. At least I'm getting my house fixed up and changing all the light fixtures and painting so it will be presentable to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM

285 posts, read 492,422 times
I third the congats Irwin. I hope that now you are truly happy, although I doubt it. People tend to be who they are regardless of where they live.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 104,466 times
I wouldn't worry about it . . . if your number wasn't called, then there's no problem. One time I forgot to call, and even forgot all about the summons till three months later when I found it in a stack of papers. Nothing every happened. And that's in California.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:00 PM

34 posts, read 141,000 times
So long, irwin. One less angry, miserable person in Arizona can't hurt, though I feel sorry for those who live in your new area of choice, who will have to listen to your endless whining about Arizona.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM

343 posts, read 37,326 times
Nice!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 PM

799 posts, read 1,354,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
All Maricopa County residents are obligated by state law to serve as a juror.

You are not a resident of Maricopa County.

Additionally:

A juror who is summoned and who willfully and without reasonable excuse fails to appear for jury service may be found by the court to be in contempt and subject to penalties provided by law.

Not living in the state would likely be considered a reasonable excuse. Further, contempt charges on failure to appear for jury duty never happen. Unless you are served a summons by a Peace Officer, or receive your jury notice via certified mail, the court would have a hard time proving you ever even received that piece of mail.

Much ado about nothing.
I wonder how many people purposely get back at the court system and declare someone guilty because they are mad at being pushed around by the courts. I can imagine a lot of jobs would fire you for taking off.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 22,611 times
Congratulations on leaving Arizona!!!! I, too, hope to follow in your footsteps soon.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM

430 posts, read 936,744 times
Default Happy Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I never really liked it in AZ but this has to be the kicker. I got a jury summons days before I was scheduled to leave AZ forever. I sent it back in time with my forwarding address across the country. Today, I just got a forwarded denial from the County stating that I had to appear on the scheduled date, which of course was over a week ago! I called the County and thankfully they never called my number, but conceivably I could have had a warrant out for my arrest in that stupid state because the morons who run that state (obviously products of the wonderful state public school system there) didn't believe that people actually move away from AZ.

What a truly fitting end to my experience with that place. Good riddance!
Hope you enjoy your new home! Think of us from time to time, suffering in this heat or not.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,152,586 times
Irwin, now you're rumblings can turn to MA taxes, which are among the highest in the nation, city income taxes which are unheard of in the west, frigid winter temps, etc. But I guess your "wonderful" attitude will fit right in with those Northeasterners. Hasta la huego!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,687,186 times
When I had fed. jury duty in Alexandria, VA, they had sent the summons to my old address, though I had update my address with DMV as soon as I moved. Voter regist. rolls are how they choose names. So I had less than two weeks notice by the time the summons got to me. Believe me, had you blown off appearing for this judge, he'd have sent U.S. Marshals to get you, slapped you with $1000 fine and a day or two in jail for contempt. I saw him do it. I even knew all about the case we were to try, as I work in the media. Too bad. I wasn't getting out of it. One guy had just dropped his wife off for back surgery that morning and she would be unable to walk for six wks. Too bad. He wasn't getting out of it. I think the only way to make sure you don't get called again is to change your voter registration. Get a warrant in AZ and it could very well follow you around the country for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: