Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,567,921 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of you who are worried about the price of food potentially going up if we lose our cheap labor are also complaining about our high tech jobs being outsourced to India and China? How is it you want cheap labor on U.S. soil but not exported to another country? What's the difference? I'll tell you the difference: The Indians and Chinese abroad are not flooding our hospitals' emergency rooms and raising our health care costs. They are not sending their children here to school and having us pay for it. Having illegals over here is much worse. I welcome higher prices because you know what? The wages will go up due to labor shortage. Ever hear of the law of supply and demand from economics 1B? Ever see Alaska as an example? In the 70s oil pipeline construction prices went way up BUT WAGES WENT WAY UP TOO. There was a labor shortage and a lot of young people went up there still to work on construction and expected and got higher pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 478,790 times
No one has been able to explain how 1070 itself is going to result in sweeping changes in immigration reform. Meanwhile, we have existing laws that are not enforced that would result in these changes. We have laws that make it illegal for a company to knowingly hire illegals. If we actually prosecuted those companies such as the construction, and hospitality industries, many illegals would go to other states for employment. The biggest cause for the drop in immigration the past two years was the weak local economy. Now imagine if we enforced the law and discouraged companies from hiring illegals. That would result in a far greater reduction of immigrants move here than laws such as 1070. I think we need to address our immigration problem but I don't think 1070 was well thought out. I truly believe the negative impact of this law will far outweigh any positive impact because no one can explain how 1070 itself will cause a drop in immigration. What is it about this law that will result in law enforcement acting differently? If you can't answer that then maybe you should consider if it's worth the negative financial impact that we are going to receive as a result of this law.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
With Major League Baseball threatening to boycott if the law goes into effect can the NFL be far behind?
Besides what will we do with hundreds of thousands of them after we round them up?
They are charged with a Criminal Offense and can't make bail. Do they get lawyers?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM

I'm also concerned how 1070 will affect housing prices. The negative publicity may affect outside interest in our state. This will reduce investment in homes from investors who see this situation as being too volatile for them. It will also reduce interest from retirees who would rather retire elsewhere as they now perceive Arizona as being too radicalized especially retirees from liberal areas such as the upper midwest, and the east coast. This will result in an increase supply of homes and housing prices will fall. I know some will pose the reduce crime as a result of a drop in immigration will make areas safer and more desirable, but will this law create an immediate and noticeable impact in lessened crime to offset the losses due to the negative publicity? I personally don't think it will.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I wonder how many of you who are worried about the price of food potentially going up if we lose our cheap labor are also complaining about our high tech jobs being outsourced to India and China? How is it you want cheap labor on U.S. soil but not exported to another country? What's the difference? I'll tell you the difference: The Indians and Chinese abroad are not flooding our hospitals' emergency rooms and raising our health care costs. They are not sending their children here to school and having us pay for it. Having illegals over here is much worse. I welcome higher prices because you know what? The wages will go up due to labor shortage. Ever hear of the law of supply and demand from economics 1B? Ever see Alaska as an example? In the 70s oil pipeline construction prices went way up BUT WAGES WENT WAY UP TOO. There was a labor shortage and a lot of young people went up there still to work on construction and expected and got higher pay.
If prices go up they go up....but greedy companies that want to hire illegal aliens and pay them less get fined or punished somehow-but so should companies that move American companies overseas or outsource our jobs. We don't hear too much about how that is affecting our economy yet it is doing a lot of damage to Americans and is about as bad as hiring illegals here. Its not just about the Mexicans.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,567,921 times
On the contrary, many people will consider Phoenix a safer place with illegals all gone and drug trafficing dropping down. Cleaner neighborhoods without trash all out in front too. House prices should be going back up. The mainstream media, celebrities, and big name politicians outside Arizona are one side. the majority of Americans are in favor of getting illegals out of our country because of the tax burden. There is a lot of new respect for Arizona.

I'm one of them. I was becoming disillusioned about how draconian our laws have been becoming. Speed cameras everywhere, cops giving tickets to people 5 miles per hour above the speed limit, cops that can arrest you if they deem you impaired, even if you are not, and so on. But this stance against illegals renewed my pride in Arizona, and I'm not even a native Arizonan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm also concerned how 1070 will affect housing prices. The negative publicity may affect outside interest in our state. This will reduce investment in homes from investors who see this situation as being too volatile for them. It will also reduce interest from retirees who would rather retire elsewhere as they now perceive Arizona as being too radicalized especially retirees from liberal areas such as the upper midwest, and the east coast. This will result in an increase supply of homes and housing prices will fall. I know some will pose the reduce crime as a result of a drop in immigration will make areas safer and more desirable, but will this law create an immediate and noticeable impact in lessened crime to offset the losses due to the negative publicity? I personally don't think it will.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Housing Prices are barely at Construction Cost now, so any downturn will kill construction.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
On the contrary, many people will consider Phoenix a safer place with illegals all gone and drug trafficing dropping down.
On the contrary, the law will not result in an immediate and noticeable drop in crime in the next 2-3 years if any. However, the negative economic impact from the publicity will be felt immediately. Losing the Republican National Convention and possibly the MLB All-Star game, the BCS National Championship game and the National Urban League's conference are things that will be immediately felt economically and will further bring negative publicity to this state. The Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association said 19 meetings representing 15,000 room nights have been canceled because of the immigration law. Negative economic impact is certain. Reduced crime as a direct result of 1070 is uncertain. It's similar to arguments posed by the NRA. Gun laws don't inhibit hardened criminals from acquiring guns to commit crimes. Likewise, I would be interested in knowing how 1070 is going to prevent kidnappers and drug dealers from entering Arizona. Boycott Arizona goal: 'Shocking stop to economy'

Last edited by zox; 05-03-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,012 times
Quote:
On the contrary, the law will not result in an immediate and noticeable drop in crime in the next 2-3 years if any. However, the negative economic impact from the publicity will be felt immediately. Losing the Republican National Convention and possibly the MLB All-Star game, the BCS National Championship game and the National Urban League's conference are things that will be immediately felt economically and will further bring negative publicity to this state. The Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association said 19 meetings representing 15,000 room nights have been canceled because of the immigration law. Negative economic impact is certain. Reduced crime as a direct result of 1070 is uncertain. It's similar to arguments posed by the NRA. Gun laws don't inhibit hardened criminals from acquiring guns to commit crimes. Likewise, I would be interested in knowing how 1070 is going to prevent kidnappers and drug dealers from entering Arizona. Boycott Arizona goal: 'Shocking stop to economy'
Don't you think being #2 in the WORLD for kidnapping is negative publicity also. Maybe by doing nothing Phoenix can overtake Mexico City for #1. These boycotts make me sick and wonder why these organizations don't want existing federal laws to be enforced? Something had to be done and I don't see this bill as being close to draconian as some folks would think. There have always been legal avenues for people who want to work here and many have used this route. I'm hoping that just the threat of enforcement will make more people think about twice about being here illegally. I'm hoping more states will consider passing this type of legislation.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Quote:

I disagree, I was looking to buy a second home for future retirement and have been looking into the LV and Arizona areas and now hands down it will be Az.

We're dealing with the illegals here in Mass. not on nearly the same level as Az. but there's a lot of them here and our scum leaders here in Mass just passed a bill allowing illegal immigrants benefits from public entitlement programs. So now I get to pay for them to have benefits along with our MANDATORY health care that we've had here for the last 3 years!

There hasn't been 1 person I've talked to here that doesn't stand behind what Az. is doing and only hope that other states will grow a set and start doing what our Gov't should be....Enforcing the LAW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area