Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM

75 posts, read 303,678 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be driving down to Phoenix from Denver next Sunday 5/16 .While have the fun will be the road trip, I've planned the following activities so far:

- South Mountain part
- Desert Botanical Gardens
- Desert Storm Hummer tours

We're not big into the shopping scene and such since most of what is down there is also up here; however are there any other activities, relatively inexpensive, which would be memorable to this part of AZ (around or just outside of Phoenix? In addition, are there any good restaurants that are unique to this area that are a "must dine"?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
I don't know about the hummer tours, but the first two are a couple of my favorites out here

where is your general location in the city that you'll be staying?

what do you enjoy doing?

as far as food is there a budget? what do you like/dislike?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM

75 posts, read 303,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I don't know about the hummer tours, but the first two are a couple of my favorites out here

where is your general location in the city that you'll be staying?

what do you enjoy doing?

as far as food is there a budget? what do you like/dislike?
We'll be staying in a hotel in North Phoenix. (Bell Rd. and I-17 area)

We like being outdoors. Hiking, walking, experiencing what the desert has to offer. We're not big into shopping, but if there were any unique shops, I'd like to check them out as well. I also appreciate home architecture and/or old neighborhoods. Since we like to walk, if there any neighborhoods worth checking out, we'd be game for that too. One of my reasons for coming out in addition to visiting is to get a feel of the area in the event I would ever want to move down here.

No seafood...outside of that, we're very open. As far as budget...$30 - $40 for a couple is reasonable; however if there is a restaurant that stands out, but is more expensive, we would pay for that. It's vacation after all.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:19 AM

from that area you're pretty close to dreamy draw recreational area - it's a phoenix park like South Mountain - some pretty good hiking in that trail - it's over by northern and the 51 (you can also enter around 40th st & shea)

PHOENIX MOUNTAINS/DREAMY DRAW PICNIC AREAS
HIKING TRAILS PIESTEWA PEAK AREA

down by south mountain park I really like Los Dos Molinos for more of a new mexican style mexican food

Los Dos Molinos

there are some nice homes on the norhtern end of central avenue as well as some nice historic neighborhoods north of I-10 .... not sure if I would classify them as walkable though (honestly most of the phoenix metro isn't).

there are a lot of really nice places to sit outside and have a meal .... the weather could go either way this time of year at night though - here are a few that I like, although they may stretch the target pricing ... chelseas kitchen I'm not as big a fan of their food as others who swear by it, for me it's more of a lunch place when the weather is good

www.houseoftricks.com
www.lons.com
www.chelseaskitchenaz.com
www.thefarmatsouthmountain.com

one thing i've done a bit with visitors is just park and walk at some of the resorts - they often have very well maintained grounds and it can be nice to just kind of stroll and check them out and then grab a lemonaide, cocktail, coffee, etc

Heard Museum is pretty unique to AZ and can be worth checking out if you are into that type of thing

near 44th and bell there is a good equadorian restaurant - it's tiny, but very good - it's now called Mi Comida Restaurante Latino (formerly Mi Cocina Mi Pais).

you're also pretty close to old glendale - i don't think they have any festivals in the park that weekend, but it can be fun to walk the historic neighborhood north of glendale ave and browse through the antique shops and little boutiques set in homes - there is also cerretas chocolate factory there - my favorite 3 restaurants in that area are probably A Touch of European Cafe (polish BYOB, great food - try the soups even if they sound odd - last time I was there I had pickle soup that was just amazing) .... I also like La Piazza Al Forno and Haus Murphy ..... but you also can't go wrong with Lennys for their burgers & malts

i'm sure others will chime in shortly as well

Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,206 times
If you have to be outside; check out Turf Paradise. You could walk from your motel. It is free after about 3:30, otherwise 2 or 3 bucks. The Thai restaurant out there is below par; there are some other good ones though. There should be some bars within 2 miles you could walk/cab for nightlife. The area around the Interstate is a little seedy (as usual), but those motels/inns are pretty nice/safe for the money.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,205 times
When I have visitors in town who really want to get that Arizona feeling, I take them to downtown Cave Creek (which is just about 3 blocks on Cave Creek Road). We walk the shops and have lunch or dinner at El Encanto. Be sure to request patio seating if you go. They serve Mexican food which is good, but the ambiance is really neat.

For hiking, you'll probably want to get an early start and take lots of water. We're in the high 90's already this year. A late afternoon hike would be nice too.

What is cool is that you're visiting during the week, so most people will be working.

I hope you have a great time!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
If you have to be outside; check out Turf Paradise. .
Sunday was their last day of live racing for the season

Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
When I have visitors in town who really want to get that Arizona feeling, I take them to downtown Cave Creek (which is just about 3 blocks on Cave Creek Road). We walk the shops and have lunch or dinner at El Encanto. Be sure to request patio seating if you go. They serve Mexican food which is good, but the ambiance is really neat.

For hiking, you'll probably want to get an early start and take lots of water. We're in the high 90's already this year. A late afternoon hike would be nice too.

What is cool is that you're visiting during the week, so most people will be working.

I hope you have a great time!
cave creek is a nice call as well - i like El Encato as well (love the pollo fundido - the spicy cream cheese sauce they put over it is super rich, but super tasty)

water is definitely a must - sweat evaporates pretty quick out here ...... but remember, you are still sweating ... don't let it sneak up on you and stay hydrated .... i know denver is on the dry side as well so this may be redundant, but it is important

weather has been pretty mild this winter and spring - it's supposed to dip back down into the 80s early next week ..... the time you are here it may dip down again or it may shoot up to 100+ .... really hard to gauge what you're going to get this time of year (probably estimate mid to high 90s with it still cooling off a bit at night), sunscreen and appropriate clothing is a good thing to consider

Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,027 times
YES!!!! I was just about to recommend cave creek. Definetly go to El Encanto (the original, not the 2nd one in carefree). Downtown old cavecreek is pretty cool and usually el encanto has a guy walking around playing a guitar and singing. They have a huge pont with floor to ceiling windows inside and a LARGE patio outside. The food is pretty good also.

If you like hiking I would check out Camelback Mtn. A lot of huge boulders and a AWESOME view from the top. plus its a little challenging depending on skill/experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area