U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM

105 posts, read 176,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'm from Michigan and disagree with you 100%. My old man (visiting right now) disagrees too. The weather here is fantastic and I'd rather deal with this heat than midwest humidity and having to unearth my driveway every winter.

To each his own I guess....I actually woke up at 3 in the morn last night and got in my car and fired up the ac and blasted it on my face for about 20 minutes......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 6,313,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
To each his own I guess....I actually woke up at 3 in the morn last night and got in my car and fired up the ac and blasted it on my face for about 20 minutes......
Why did you get in the car and not just turn the AC doWn in the house?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM

105 posts, read 176,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Why did you get in the car and not just turn the AC doWn in the house?

I needed a more concentrated direct blast in the face.......

Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,555,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
yeah, it's great when you are leaving from your garage assuming of course the road is clear and doesn't have ice and snow. I did that this winter. There were mornings it was cold but leaving from a garage made it better. However, it's a totally different situation when your car has been parked outside overnight or outside for a prolonged period of time as mine was when it was 7 degrees outside and my car didn't heat up until 20 minutes later. The steering wheel was cold. The windows were iced over. I had to sit in my car for 10 minutes just for the windows to clear from the frost. Leaving your car in 110 degrees outside is much better. Yeah, it's hot when you first get in but you don't have to wait for frost to come off your windows. You don't have to worry about snow or ice on the roads. You can roll the windows down and let some breeze in to help cool down the car. Rolling down the windows in cold weather doesn't warm the car, it makes it worse.

People say you can wear layers and it makes it all better. B.s. When it's 7 degrees outside, no amount of clothing compensates for that. Your face freezes even with a scarf wrapped around it. The term bone chilling cold rings true. That type of cold goes right through your clothes and you try to get indoors as fast as you can. Us phoenecians were all saying how we would gladly take 115 outside in phoenix over this at that time. This was in sierra vista this winter. It was so cold, they ran out of natural gas in the area so people with gas heaters were out of luck. You don't want to be in that situation.

..........."CANDY A$$"..................

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,670,792 times
Air conditioning was a revolution. I was raised with a swamp cooler, only the Fox Theater had air conditioning but it caught on as prices went down mainly thanks to Goettl putting out good units at a fair price. Also too, we used to get winter visitors but it slowly changed to the winter visitors moving here and then going back home during the hot months.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM

275 posts, read 337,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
Because Phoenix is that cool.
I love that you said that.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 AM

347 posts, read 585,881 times
What is a swamp cooler?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 AM

703 posts, read 1,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
What is a swamp cooler?
It's slang for Evaporative Cooler.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM

1,925 posts, read 2,124,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Air conditioning was a revolution. I was raised with a swamp cooler, only the Fox Theater had air conditioning but it caught on as prices went down mainly thanks to Goettl putting out good units at a fair price. Also too, we used to get winter visitors but it slowly changed to the winter visitors moving here and then going back home during the hot months.
Same here. Swamp cooler 'til the mid 70s. It wasn't that bad. Muggy during the monsoons.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:24 PM

43 posts, read 36,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Some people just want to see sunshine. There are a lot of places in this country that are overcast even if it doesn't rain a lot there. Having that clear bright blue sky with sunlight and puffy clouds with the mountains and open space in the background is very unique and uplifting. That's what draws a lot of people to AZ.
Count me as a "sunshine" person. For me, Phoenix is great because of the abundance of sunshine, favorable winters, and low humidity. I grew up in Michigan but have lived in the Valley for a decade. I spent the last year in Dallas/Austin Texas, and was very happy to get back to Phoenix recently. Great cities for many other reasons, but the weather changes were a deal-breaker for me. The winter was overcast nearly more than it was actually clear or sunny. Obviously, the winters in Texas weren't bitterly cold, but what was a similar factor as Midwest winters was the preponderance of days you wake up to a battleship grey sky. That tends to get me down just as the near-perpetual sunny skies here tend to cheer me up. Sure, you can acclimate eventually or just deal with it, but I'm just trying to say that even somewhat subtle changes are noticeable. The summers in Texas were much tougher IMO too - nearly the same heat, with double or triple the humidity/dew point. The summers here and in Texas both sucked, no question. The difference is that here the payoff you get for sweating it out is worth it - nearly perfect (for me) the rest of the year.

If 4 seasons are your thing, plenty of places you can live for that. For me, I'll take the predictability here: the default of hot/sunny/dry with the occasional anomaly of rain/cold/clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area