Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM

325 posts, read 369,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Hyperbole.

You'll come running back when your new home is about to fall into the ocean or the cost of living catches up with you.
Or the crazy politics drive you out.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM

325 posts, read 369,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
Several people have said I was crazy to move here from the Central Coast of CA - But you know both places there and AZ here are AWESOME.... I mean I had Big Sur just an hour north of me - at night you could hear the ocean, the fog horn, the cows mooing and the cars on hwy 1. The temp. was about 55-65 most all the time - sometimes seventies. Sometimes colder in winter. But the drag was the fog. It hugs the coast all summer long - grey, drab, wet, thick, profuse, rolling fog. It provides much of the water for the coastal vegetation - like a free watering. This is remedied by driving a short distance to sunshine - but the constant waking to that was a bit harsh. It was gorgeous - but it's gorgeous here. Truly amazing. I wake to sunshine every day - the monsoon clouds are spectacular and the storms exciting - wish more would come. On the coast rain was rare for years - thunder unheard of - lightning rare as well. I have the joys of achey bones and chronic pain - but since I moved here I feel much better. I love the humid heat too - as it reminds me of the Midwest - which I left behind in '03. I enjoy driving to Payson and Pine - stunning views and trees etc... And friendly people here - yesterday was worn and haggard from errands etc outdoors and appointments - stopped in Chipotle for a burrito -- hadn't been to one since last year in CA.... the counter girl saw I was trying to remember how to order there - I told her I'd been to one in CA - but was new to AZ and didn't ever see one till today.... So I put together my order --- she then tells the cashier - don't charge her a thing! This one is on the house - and WELCOME to Arizona :-) Does it get better? Simple things matter - sunshine, happiness, warmth (okay extreme warmth) & knowing it's only going to get better -- cactus's that hi-five you everywhere you go - C'mon - this place is GREAT!
Let me just say, this is such a refreshing post. So often you read posts complaining that one place is not another--and God knows I'm as guilty of this as anyone--but you really reinforce the beauty that is the world--that there are so many different places and they all have their unique beauty.

I think the real problem is that most of us can't live in more than one place at a time.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM

163 posts, read 375,386 times
Allow me to put out a hypothesis. The legend of the heat in Phoenix is a combination of three factors-

First, it's actually pretty hot. 110 is 110 is 110 is 110. That's a pretty well agreed upon fact. There's a heart of truth to the gloom and doom about it being hot in the desert in the summer.

Second, Arizona is home to a lot of retirees who come from areas to escape undesirable weather conditions-- violent storms, overcast skies, cold and snowy winters. Therefore, there's a large part of the population that is relatively unaccustomed to the ins and outs of life in perpetual sunlight. Similarly, if a lifelong Phoenician were to come up here to Omaha to enjoy one of our minus 20 degrees days in the winter, I imagine they would find it stupidly cold, when for me, there needs to be little bits of freezing rain or snow whipping me in the face for it to start to register. No, the winters never feel warm, but I'm guessing I'd fare better in them than someone coming from a warm climate who is completely unprepared (mentally, at least) for what the winter brings. I'm saying the inverse situation is also likely to be true. With so many new, non-native residents, you end up with, instead of a Phoenician's perspective on the heat, a Minnesotan's perspective on the heat. It will skew the perception a bit, I think, towards the hyperbolic.

Third, lots of people have never been there. I nearly moved to Colorado, and when I told people, I was treated to a lecture about the unending snowfall, or the bitter winters, by people who had never lived in or visited the state, and had no information outside of popular portrayals in movies or TV shows, and "common knowledge" type factoids. These people weren't knowledgeable. But that didn't stop them from acting and speaking like they were. I think Phoenix's reputation proceeds it, in a lot of cases. People speak from their experience, which, fairly often, is indirect and incomplete.

So, that's what I'm thinking. With a little bit of truth, and a lot of people coming from either my second or third points, the reality of the situation can be twisted a bit. Again, this is just my own reasoning, so tell me, am I off base, or is this a fairly accurate assessment?

Also, since about the beginning of summer or so, I've been looking at the weather in my home, Omaha, and in Phoenix. More often than you'd imagine, Omaha ends up with a higher heat index than Phoenix. This summer is a bit hotter than average, but we've been dealing with 90-100 degree days with 65-85% humidity. Our heat index has been 110+ on more than one occasion. I'm not dying, I'm still outdoors (and when I'm not, it has more to do with the bugs than heat.) And seriously, I'll take 110 with 7% humidity, over 95-80%.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM

156 posts, read 287,490 times
Today, in my neck of the woods, we had high of 98 with a heat index of 104 and humdity around 60 percent. It felt like I was being smothered when I stepped outside. When I visited AZ last week, I had no problems. I even did some walking, and the amount of perspiration that I didn't have was all too shocking for me It's all about preference; there is no right or wrong, but only what an individual prefers. You don't like it? Fine. You do? Well, that's fine too!

I myself prefer a drier heat

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,214,643 times
Hello from the Pacific NorthWET, where we just experienced our coldest, rainiest spring EVER and are now well on track to break records with a wet, cloudy, dreary summer, too! Just call us the "Land of the Endless Monsoon."

I'm in the distinct minority here in western Washington LOVING this cool, cloudy, misty weather that sustains the evergreen forests and blesses us with abundant water resources. You don't need A/C, you don't have to shovel the rain, and I can wear shorts and tees most of the year for outdoor activities.

That being said, two of my fondest memories of Arizona are of a winter vacation in Scottsdale and a two-week raft trip on the Colorado River that departed from Flagstaff. The sun was blazing in an impossibly blue sky day after day both times, and I did acclimate quickly to the "dry heat." It felt GOOD.

And I also got down on my knees and kissed the ground of Washington when I got home both times, too, as my mind just couldn't deal with all that good weather -- it was UNNATURAL.

I admire you Phoenicians for your ability to cope with so many months of triple-digit heat with the A/C blasting, recreating at night, dust storms, and the pollution -- for the payoff of those beautiful months of sunny, comfortable temperatures.

But how can you SURVIVE without any fir trees in your yard?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

38,981 posts, read 50,929,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Hello from the Pacific NorthWET, where we just experienced our coldest, rainiest spring EVER and are now well on track to break records with a wet, cloudy, dreary summer, too! Just call us the "Land of the Endless Monsoon."

I'm in the distinct minority here in western Washington LOVING this cool, cloudy, misty weather that sustains the evergreen forests and blesses us with abundant water resources. You don't need A/C, you don't have to shovel the rain, and I can wear shorts and tees most of the year for outdoor activities.

That being said, two of my fondest memories of Arizona are of a winter vacation in Scottsdale and a two-week raft trip on the Colorado River that departed from Flagstaff. The sun was blazing in an impossibly blue sky day after day both times, and I did acclimate quickly to the "dry heat." It felt GOOD.

And I also got down on my knees and kissed the ground of Washington when I got home both times, too, as my mind just couldn't deal with all that good weather -- it was UNNATURAL.

I admire you Phoenicians for your ability to cope with so many months of triple-digit heat with the A/C blasting, recreating at night, dust storms, and the pollution -- for the payoff of those beautiful months of sunny, comfortable temperatures.

We just hop in the car and drive for an hour and a half and are in the pines and aspen.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,489,670 times
The heat isn't an issue with me. There are issues with weather or geography wherever one goes...
I thought it would be better here jobwise, but nope, my profession (and don't ask, because I am not revealing that much about myself here) is really in the dumps nationally now.

I notice people here are doing well, buying homes, going on vacations. You always hear someone talking about Disneyland or Vegas, and heck, that's not a cheap picnic.

There isn't really a good place for my profession, and I have found trying to step outside of it and find a new field gets no results.

I am convinced the economy is not bad here. I dropped someone off at the airport and could not find a parking spot at Terminal 2.

Like the previous post said, they just hop in the car and drive up north. Now that doesn't talk about the gas prices, hotel or other lodging, food, and other expenses.

But I haven't seen wealth like I have seen here. In every suburb or bedroom community here, there is great wealth. Back east, you had different suburbs, but they weren't all wealthy.

And for the people who don't care to know their neighbors...there was a time when people knew their neighbors and people helped others out. I remember when my Dad died, and a neighbor came over (in the Midwest) and snowplowed my Mom's driveway for her. She baked him some cookies.

Now, no one wants to know anyone. What is up with that? Who wants to be a recluse?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

391 posts, read 784,949 times
Hi today up here in my part of canada it was 91 with a humidex of 114. At work I was in a second floor closet without air conditioning all day. Lost many lbs. Tonight, we went for a 5 mile walk and sat on the deck for a drink. We were in Phoenix when its 110 and from what I remember, that was hotter than today. But...... no one stayed home and hid from the heat up here so I doubt we'd do it there (we spend winters in Phoenix but often head there during the summer. Cheap golf and as long as there is AC at night, I"m OK.!!
I don't hate the cold up here until we hit about 20 straight days of 10 below or colder and I've been working outside for most of them.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,628,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

Hey Stoneycipher,
I just moved here almost exactly one month ago from the central Oregon coast. It doesn't get any more wet than that. The little town I lived in averaged 119 inches per year.
You are correct that the Pacific Northwest is probably the most beautiful area of the U.S. I will certainly miss being out on one of the many lakes and rivers you have up there but for me, I just couldn't handle the rain any longer. Last winter almost killed me.
As many say on here, it is what you make it and that applies to me as well.
I did enjoy the summers in the PNW, it's the winters that got to me so I moved to Arizona. East Mesa to be exact and so far I love it here. The desert has it's own beauty that can't be matched anywhere else.
Many have said that I'm in the "honeymoon period" and that I'll regret the move but I don't think so. Endless sunshine, lots of ways to cool off and so far, very nice people.
I just bought a house here that I couldn't have afforded up there in my wildest dreams, lots of lake around here (suprisingly) and easy access to Cali. beaches, the forested mountians near Flagstaff, Vegas, Grand Canyon among many other wonderful things.
Frankly, I'm glad I've lived to experience both the PNW and the Great Southwest at length.
One thing I can say after experiencing it first hand. It really is a dry heat. 105 is actually not bad. Not bad at all. 118 wasn't my favorite but with a pool, I survived it just fine.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM

70 posts, read 208,707 times
Cool MY reasons

I moved here with my wife back in Feb of '11. We both were tired of the cold, damp,bone chilling winters in Nj. Aches and pains........not enough Sun in the winter and just too many gray days in winter. Summers in Jersey were Hot and sticky...I drove a semi for 38 years and many almost 21 yrs in Jersey as a P & D driver driving a truck with no A/C and believe me it was brutal in July and August with the high humidity! So far the heat(dont get me wrong it's HOT!!!!) has been bearable! I've even played alot of golf in this heat...even around noon tee times and find it very different and bearable, because of the lack of humidity. In the sun it's hot, very hot but the shade is different...to me it's comfortable even @ 110+ degrees. Call me kooky! Even this past 4th of July, we spent in Havasu on the river and the water temp was 87 deg and air temp 126. Believe me when I tell you, you come out of 87 deg. water into 126 deg. air with 12% humidity you will get goosebumps for a short time......Whoo'd a thunk.......goosebumps @ 126? Up until June the weather has ben fantastic...warm days and cool nights.........sleeping with windows open, couldn't be better. Summer lasts till, I've been told end of Sept to Mid Oct..... then back to magnificant weather! I have found it very easy to deal with the heat, as a matter of fact I LIKE IT!...Then dealing with the cold! Brrrrr..........The sun gives me energy and enjoying the outdoors is so much better then being Solidly trapped indoors 'cause of cold and snow. The heat is not for everyone but for some it's great....... Just my opinion and I would not want to give this up for nobody! I'm lovin it and want to stayu here forever!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area