Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That is pretty cool but SW Kansas to Northern MN is over 1,000 miles apart, that's the likes of comparing Phoenix to Portland, Oregon. I don't think anyone in the extreme SW corner of KS considers themselves the Midwest, not that anyone lives there to ask anyways. I'm guessing the largest population center is Amarillo, Texas.
Correct. But I definitely consider KS to be Midwest, as do most others. Its not Western, nor Southern, therefore Midwestern. Its right in the transition zone, though. My point was in rebuttal to someone's goofy claim that the Midwest weather and geography isn't very differing. That couldn't be further from the truth. From towering sand dunes, to pine forests, to sand prairies, to cypress swamps, to glades, to grasslands... the Midwest's geography is HIGHLY varied. Too bad most people don't see it because they never get off the highways.

On topic, we hit 110 yesterday. I hear AJ got to 114? Regardless, this blows!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Correct. But I definitely consider KS to be Midwest, as do most others. Its not Western, nor Southern, therefore Midwestern. Its right in the transition zone, though. My point was in rebuttal to someone's goofy claim that the Midwest weather and geography isn't very differing. That couldn't be further from the truth. From towering sand dunes, to pine forests, to sand prairies, to cypress swamps, to glades, to grasslands... the Midwest's geography is HIGHLY varied. Too bad most people don't see it because they never get off the highways.

On topic, we hit 110 yesterday. I hear AJ got to 114? Regardless, this blows!
I am at my cabin. It was 86 briefly yesterday with humidity in low single digits, below 70 by 9pm, and in the forties at dawn. What's to complain about? 150 miles door to door from my house in Phoenix. Try that in Kansas.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 PM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
Question---why is Phoenix's population so much higher than other desert cities?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Question---why is Phoenix's population so much higher than other desert cities?
The answers to this question are somewhat complicated and complex. But the following factors have put the Phoenix metro's growth machine in high gear:
relatively low housing costs for the west coast; very convenient to Los Angeles; ample (or at least adequate) water supplies; mass migration to metro Phoenix from declining midwestern and rust-belt cities (Chicagoland has a LOT of transplants here.) Also, CA, NY, MN, PA, Ohio have contributed many current residents. Reasons for leaving rust belt are often economic (no jobs back home). Or, in the case of Chicagoland, residents may be fleeing high property taxes, old housing stock, or cold climates or all of the above. Californians want a slice of the American dream--a chance at homeownership is the primary driver for leaving CA for AZ.

Why is Phoenix metro growing faster than other desert metros? Well, Las Vegas is booming, so they're our equal in terms of growth. Denver is also booming--more on Denver below. The main desert metro that is lagging currently is Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is in a growth slump right now. The reasons are varied. NM populace is poorly educated, mostly votes blue, crime is a real problem, and the state/metro is geographicallly remote and isolated from the rest of the US. It's too bad for these short comings though, considering that Albq. has the best year-round climate of the cities referenced by me (IMO.)

Salt Lake City's economy is booming. The metro has low unemployment, low crime rate, and escalating housing prices. A socially conservative vibe and still a relatively small metro will be turn-offs to some people. And Beautiful scenery--however, so so air quality and cold winters are negatives to the metro.

Las Vegas, as I mentioned, is also booming like Phoenix metro. But their economy is not as diversified as metro Phoenix's, and water shortages are a real problem for southern NV (unlike for metro Phx.)

I guess I'd include Denver as a desert city for this discussion, but I don't think it's technically in the desert (high plains is its true geography.) Needless to say, Denver is booming like crazy. Denver has managed to attract the educated, upwardly mobile millenial youth--more so than Phoenix or Las Vegas has, possibly due to its left leaning social scene, legalized MJ, high tech and financial employment hubs located in the area. Transplanted Californians are very visible in the metro too, one of several reasons that home affordability has declined significantly in recent years, making metro Denver now considerably more expensive than other western, inland metros.

Last edited by DougStark; 06-05-2018 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am at my cabin. It was 86 briefly yesterday with humidity in low single digits, below 70 by 9pm, and in the forties at dawn. What's to complain about? 150 miles door to door from my house in Phoenix. Try that in Kansas.
Any place that has massive elevation gains and is a desert state can claim that. CA, NM, CO, UT, etc, all share that trait.

If you want to make it a pissing contest, try going from dry, desolate western Kansas to lush, fertile farmlands in eastern Kansas. Now THATS impressive.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM

483 posts, read 665,661 times
Golfed 18 holes yesterday. 104 with 8% humidity. Barely worked up a sweat. Seriously.

Try that in Florida...or even Wisconsin. There it can be 80 degrees with 70% humidity and you'd need to change your shirt three times.

Then after taking a shower you need another shower a few minutes later.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Golfed 18 holes yesterday. 104 with 8% humidity. Barely worked up a sweat. Seriously.

Try that in Florida...or even Wisconsin. There it can be 80 degrees with 70% humidity and you'd need to change your shirt three times.

Then after taking a shower you need another shower a few minutes later.
You swing a light club every few minutes, then spend the remaining time on a golf cart. How are you expected to work up a sweat doing that? lol

Go outside and labor today at 3 PM today. Haul some rock around or wax your car. See if you're dry then.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Phoenix Was Second-Fastest Growing City in 2017 | Phoenix New Times

There is a reason. Notice the top five are all pretty warm.

Lots of people like warm to hot weather, myself included

Old 06-06-2018, 03:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Any place that has massive elevation gains and is a desert state can claim that. CA, NM, CO, UT, etc, all share that trait.

If you want to make it a pissing contest, try going from dry, desolate western Kansas to lush, fertile farmlands in eastern Kansas. Now THATS impressive.
That’s a boring drive idk what Kansas you went to. Besides many states are boring and can claim being boring. IL, OK, NE, IN etc. all share that trait.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:

Lush farmlands? Those two words just don’t come together in my mind when describing farms. We’ve got farmland right off the 292 and McDowell, it’s green sure but far from what I considerlusg. Much of the Midwest looks very similar. The geographic diversity in that area just doesn’t match up with Arizona or much of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area