Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 AM

594 posts, read 698,933 times

Advertisements

...and I have the best pick up line. wanna hear it ??? OK, here goes.

HI

Old 06-21-2015, 10:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I moved from Miami where it is 100% humidity pretty much every day. Phoenix heat is a friggin breeze compared to that. Like others said it's easy to atone to the heat vs having to get ready for the cold.

From September to about April you get some of the best weather I ever experienced. To go through the heat from May to August is worth it. For someone who grew up with constant humidity, I embrace this type of heat easy.
I also prefer this dry heat to the humidity.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
...and I have the best pick up line. wanna hear it ??? OK, here goes.

HI
Dude.

Life ain't only about women & pick up lines. Remember to hug your horse as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I moved from Miami where it is 100% humidity pretty much every day. Phoenix heat is a friggin breeze compared to that. Like others said it's easy to atone to the heat vs having to get ready for the cold.

From September to about April you get some of the best weather I ever experienced. To go through the heat from May to August is worth it. For someone who grew up with constant humidity, I embrace this type of heat easy.
I agree, except September is one of the not so ideal months because it's still plenty hot.

I'd say October to May is perfect to near-perfect weather, and even May can be exceptionally nice once in a while just like last month was.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Dude.

Life ain't only about women & pick up lines. Remember to hug your horse as well.
Hug your horse, good comeback.

That particular poster has proven himself to be the back end of a horse.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 PM

8 posts, read 24,470 times
I spent 20 years in the military and I have lived or had a temporary duty assignment just about everywhere. What's different about the heat is what a few have eluded to. It doesn't stop you from doing everyday things. And believe it or not, we aren't stuck in a/c 4-5 months. I go out quite often because without the humidity that you get in a lot of southern states (I'm originally from North Carolina), it doesn't feel as bad, especially in the shade. So even on the hottest days, you could be a the bus stop or under a tree and still hold a decent conversation with someone.

I always have a bottle of water available, and love the fact that I'm not shoveling snow or dealing with my mold allergy because of the moisture in my home state. I do have allergies, but I only deal with them a few times a year. When I was in North Carolina and Florida, I had a wad of tissue constantly stuck in my pocket, constant allergy pills, all the time. I kind of feel normal here. Just for a little background, I have lived in NC, FL, Korea, CA, CO, MD, Saudi, and AZ. If you've never been come visit us!! I'll be happy to show you around. But come in Spring or Winter for your first time....LOL... Take care!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
I didn't have a choice, here is where our US office is located.

Before moving here (from Asia), I am very much aware of the weather here. I came in January and this is my first summer here. My assessment? Well, it is REALLY hot! I can't stand walking outside for more than 10 minutes. There some wind blows but it is also hot. So I try not to go outdoor. Getting inside the car is not that bad after few minutes of turning the AC in full blast.

I just don't go outdoor, that's the bottomline. Staying indoor is the best way to get rid of heat. And it's only for 4 months.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Job + Low cost of living = Why people move there.

/thread.

On a side note, I was looking at the Phoenix weather report today, DAMN it's hot... And it looks as though it will be that way for quite some time, I mean 110F+! Boy am I sure glad I got my arce out of there several months ago! Stay cool!

Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
The tragedy of the heat is that much of the heat, especially overnight is due to the urban heat island effect. Phoenix has the worst urban heat island in the US. I read somewhere that its 12 degrees hotter at night in Phoenix than it was 60 years ago. 10 of those 12 degrees were due to the urban heat island effect. But there are things that can be done to mitigate it. Besides making it more comfortable, it also reduces air conditioning bills. Just one example:

The study found that increasing tree shade in a neighborhood from 10 percent to 29 percent could lower temperatures by 4.3 degrees Fahrenheit.

Phoenix takes successful steps to lower city temperatures - The State Press

Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The tragedy of the heat is that much of the heat, especially overnight is due to the urban heat island effect. Phoenix has the worst urban heat island in the US. I read somewhere that its 12 degrees hotter at night in Phoenix than it was 60 years ago. 10 of those 12 degrees were due to the urban heat island effect. But there are things that can be done to mitigate it. Besides making it more comfortable, it also reduces air conditioning bills. Just one example:

The study found that increasing tree shade in a neighborhood from 10 percent to 29 percent could lower temperatures by 4.3 degrees Fahrenheit.

Phoenix takes successful steps to lower city temperatures - The State Press
There is not a whole lot of heat island effect when you get out into the suburbs. It is much more pronounced where the official temps are taken, at our airport. If you go out to Gilbert or Goodyear, temps drop much more quickly and deeply at night than in the airport area. It's very noticeable just driving home from a plane trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area