Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 11:54 PM

15 posts, read 59,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
If you have very good Air conditioning, I mean so good that you have to put on an extra blanket on your bed at night to stay warm enough, and you are in Phoenix, what is the problem?

My A/C in Phoenix is not good, unfortunately. It seems to only work in the living room and dining area. I have to have a fan in the bedroom to blow the air on me and it helps just a little. But the three uncomfortable months per year where the morning lows are 70 and above are so insignificant when you think of Pacific states' earthquakes, the tornados in the midwest, the ice storms in the midwest and northeast, and hurricanes in the gulf states.
You just reminded me of why I picked AZ. No earthquakes, tornado, hurricanes, black ice/snow storms, ice storms. Just dirt storms and I can handle that. I thought I wouldn't have allergy problems but that was a myth. At night something rolls across the desert and gives me the symptoms. I think I am allergic to spring in the desert.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!
It's not that hot.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 AM

15 posts, read 59,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Because it's only that hot 4 months out of the year, the same amount of time that it's "that cold" everywhere else. Most of us realize a hot summer is much better than a cold winter. Hot summers are annoying but doesn't disrupt your life like a cold winter meaning flights are not cancelled, school is not cancelled, roads are not closed, driving is safer, not having to wear multiple layers of clothing everywhere, not having to check your coat in every time you go to a restaurant etc.

Yes, high school kids exercise in the heat here. I've seen kids with full football gear practicing in the heat. It's not dangerous as long as you are well hydrated and take breaks. Dryer weather allows your body to cool faster because high humidity inhibits the body's ability to cool itself. Your body cools down by sweating and then allowing that sweat to be carried off (evaporate). If it's humid, the surrounding environment has a high water vapor so the sweat on top of your skin isn't easily lifted off and your body struggles to get rid of that heat buildup. One's risk of acquiring heat related illness is greater in high heat and humidity versus high heat alone. This is why most heat related deaths in young athletes and people exposed to a limited amount of time in heat occur in humid states like Florida and the deep South. I've personally treated runners for this when I was an intern. These runners were running in 95 F in extremely humid weather. They felt fine until they crashed and their body temperatures reached 104 degrees F.
The heat is more like 5-6 months. It starts by the first of May hitting over 100 and last year did not quit hitting 100 until after October 1st. I know because I was moving to Goodyear during that time. If you do not like heat do not move to Goodyear recently it is the hottest part of Phoenix for some reason.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
I live in Houston and here's my question: In July and August people here play softball, soccer, etc. even during the hottest part of the afternoon. We may sweat a lot but we get used to it and don't really find it uncomfortable. In Phoenix do people actually play softball, soccer etc. when it is 112 or more outside? Wouldn't that be dangerous?
While not 112, I've played extremely competitive softball games in the central California valley when it was probably between 105 and 110. No one passed out as far as I know.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,513 times
People move to Phoenix for cheap homes (most very cheaply built too)...then find out the heat lasts for most of the year...and realize the economy is service driven...notice everything is brown...get tired of paying $500 a month AC bills...then leave.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina3219 View Post
The heat is more like 5-6 months. It starts by the first of May hitting over 100 and last year did not quit hitting 100 until after October 1st. I know because I was moving to Goodyear during that time. If you do not like heat do not move to Goodyear recently it is the hottest part of Phoenix for some reason.
It is lower elevation in GY than Sky Harbor so it is reasonable to expect a little bit higher temp.
Still, I seriously wonder about that gauge at the Goodyear airport. I have a pretty high-quality weather station at my place (in Estrella) and I see about 2 degrees warmer than Sky Harbor report. I am a tad higher up than the Goodyear airport, though. The PHX-GY airport sometimes is 5-7 degrees higher with higher dewpoints which seems a bit much. Anyway, it cools off much more in GY than in Phoenix. We are often 5-10 degrees cooler at daybreak. But yeah, it is a couple degrees warmer on the peaks. I don't know if someone can tell the diff between 109 and 111 without a thermometer.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
People move to Phoenix for cheap homes (most very cheaply built too)...then find out the heat lasts for most of the year...and realize the economy is service driven...notice everything is brown...get tired of paying $500 a month AC bills...then leave.

I don't think those same homes were cheap 5 years ago.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
If Phoenix has so many negative things about it, why do so many move there?

That is one of the many mysteries in life/existence. I also feel that way with Las Vegas and El Paso.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM

255 posts, read 882,005 times
I'm from the east coast. 1 hour from boston, and I lived in tucson for several years. I loved arizona and would do it again. The southwest has a unique culture, its cheaper, the people are friendly, and its close enough to california, nevada and new mexico..I also loved el paso.
Border towns have so much culture. How could you not love them? Here on the east coast, we don't have as much of a Mexican/chicano influence so it was very nice to live and experience it in az. In my neck of the woods, the dominant Latinos are Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. Being half Dominican myself, I love it..but long live the difference...I'm sure this thread was mostly about the heat/homes and not the culture but just adding my 12 cents.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 26,721 times
Some people from states where there is extreme cold and snow want to get away some place were there is heat and no snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area