Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,224,801 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is too hot for the Snowflake Generation, it's excellent for most everyone else though.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 PM

628 posts, read 1,430,331 times
Everything is a compromise. Arizona and Minnesota have fairly close populations - polar opposite climate.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,481,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Everything is a compromise. Arizona and Minnesota have fairly close populations - polar opposite climate.
Arizona has a little over 1,000,000 more people than Minnesota so Arizona would be closer to Indiana, Massachusetts, or Washington in population. Minnesota's population is closer to Colorado's or Wisconsin's.

You're right about the climate, polar opposite with an emphasis on polar when describing Minnesota in the wintertime.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 AM

50,074 posts, read 63,428,947 times
I lived in Phoenix one summer, and was out and about, with only a few accommodations for the heat. Now, I live in GA and barely can come out of the house all summer. The humidity is so oppressive here, it just sucks the life out of you. How this area was ever even settled without AC is beyond me.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,742,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Phoenix is too hot for the Snowflake Generation, it's excellent for most everyone else though.
wow. You do realize Phoenix, despite a ton of retirees, actually skews closer to the millennial generation? Phoenix has THREE OF THE LARGEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE UNITED STATES, I'm serious both #1 and #2 (University of Phoenix and Grand Canyon University) with ASU I think polling #3 or #4 (ties with Ohio State).

Old 12-14-2016, 01:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,695,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
wow. You do realize Phoenix, despite a ton of retirees, actually skews closer to the millennial generation? Phoenix has THREE OF THE LARGEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE UNITED STATES, I'm serious both #1 and #2 (University of Phoenix and Grand Canyon University) with ASU I think polling #3 or #4 (ties with Ohio State).
While this is true I have to point out that that a very small % of U of P students actually live in Phoenix. it's primarily an online university. They do have some physical locations but the vast majority of their students are online.

GCU also has far more online students then those who attend their physical campus.

ASU is far more traditional but they still count over 10,000 online students.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 PM

211 posts, read 563,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM View Post
It was once a nice place to be all because it was not Los Angeles, that has changed with all the traffic, illigals and druggies
If you don't like Latinos, you shouldn't have chosen to live or stay in a city and state with long Spanish and Mexican histories. Even the name Arizona is Spanish... #CommonSense #HereToStay

Old 12-15-2016, 03:46 AM

123 posts, read 174,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!
Winter.

Of course, Metro Phoenix has a lot to offer. It is the 6th largest city in the country, surrounded by a variety of suburbs that each offer different experiences and pros. Phoenix also has TONS of outdoor space, in the form of mountain preserves and municipal parks. The Phoenix area is surrounded by lakes, mountains, canyons, and is an easy drive from some of the most spectacular landscapes you will ever see (Superstitions, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc).

Phoenix is sort of an exotic environment. The sonoran desert is one of legend and lore. It's southwestern atmosphere draws a lot of interest. The city has it's roots in Spanish, Mexican, and Native American cultures. Phoenix has always been a great city for sports, and on top of that, it is relatively affordable compared to cities of similar size...and the mexican food is to die for.

When it comes to the weather, while the heat can be terrible during the summer, i'll take a hot summer and a perfect winter over a perfect summer and a cold, snowy winter. You can't shovel sunshine!

Cheers!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 AM

675 posts, read 1,407,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM View Post
It was once a nice place to be all because it was not Los Angeles, that has changed with all the traffic, illigals and druggies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
If you don't like Latinos, you shouldn't have chosen to live or stay in a city and state with long Spanish and Mexican histories. Even the name Arizona is Spanish... #CommonSense #HereToStay
Why do you assume that someone who doesn't like illegals equates to someone who doesn't like Latinos?

We need to embrace and welcome legal immigrants. Immigration is what helped make this country great, and Latinos are a big part of that. At the same time, we must oppose and fight to stop illegal immigration. It is dangerous to the people doing it, and is harmful to our society in general.

So please stop trying to imply that if you're against illegal immigration you somehow don't like Latinos. That's an asinine position.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,919,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
He was stating he doesn't like illegals. That doesn't mean Mexicans, does it? Big difference. #CommonSense #DeportIllegals #LegalImmigrantsAreWelcomeToStay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area