Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,218 times

Advertisements

I am moving to North Phoenix and i have three options. i just don't know which one to choose.

Option 1: Trillium Deer Valley

Pros: close to mountains (i like the view). Luxurious look.
Con: pricey. Lots of young preppie folks, it seems, in other words, sort of a dorm setting. It makes sense since they market young professionals. I mean, the place has a movie theater, massage, spa, billiard tables, get what i mean? I guess they really got me.
Reviews according to apartmentratings: around 43 %.
Address: 20425 N Cave Creek Road.
1b/1b would cost me 696 with no utilities included.

Option 2: Remington Place

Pros: seems like a quiet place, very good reviews, 70% approval. Great special right now. 1b/1b for 480 with no utilities included.
Cons: older apartment, no luxury, no mountain view.
Address: 17435 North 7th Street.

Option 3: Ventura Vista

Pros: luxury apartment but cheaper than Trillium. Good reviews, around 60 something.
Cons: I did not care for the area very much. There is a strip club nearby. Reviews complain about parking and noise because it is near the highway or something.
Address: 18660 N. Cave Creek Road
Rent would be around 720....they also have mountain views but an apartment with mountain view may be pricier.

Which one seems more sensible? Also, I am a young single woman. When it comes to the address, which area would be safer for me?

Thanks.

PS. I already did the apartment selector person and he was not of great help. So, I am hoping that some of you may know about these areas/apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,424 times
How is Option 3 cheaper than Option 1? You say Trillium is $696 with no utilities and Ventura Vista is $720 so am I missing something?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
How is Option 3 cheaper than Option 1? You say Trillium is $696 with no utilities and Ventura Vista is $720 so am I missing something?
My mistake.

Trillium 696 rent is for a 648 sq ft.
On the other hand, Ventura Vista 1b is 773 sq ft, which I like more. I want something bigger. Trillium does offer a bigger 1b but they don't have any of them available and it ranges around 940....but as they always say, the specials can change any time. Maybe...

There are other complexes I came across with:

San Pedregal and Pinnacle at Union Hills....I think the last one is in Paradise Valley or is this still North Phoenix? 4750 East Union Hills Drive. The apartment complex has great reviews and everything looks great for a good price. Rent starts at 660-745 for 759 sq ft.

San Pedregal is located at 16601 N. 12th Street. They have 1b with 1009 sq ft starting at 829/month. But, there are two months free-prorated. Now, I don't know if the 829 includes the 2 months free or not. I am also suspicious about this area.

I am more concerned about the safety in regards to the addresses-locations and the price comes second, sort of. I mean, with the economy. And although I know that places like Scottsdale and downtown provide more of an active lifestyle, I don't care much for that.

Thanks.

Forgot to add: Monte Viejo on 2220 E Beardsley Rd. Apparently, another equity apartment. 1b is 656 sq ft for 565 dollars.

Last edited by hikoro; 05-23-2010 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 AM

382 posts, read 1,355,529 times
#1 is in a decent area. However, if you need to take the 101 in the morning the traffic can be horrendous and there is no on/off ramp for Cave Creek either (if I remember correctly). You would have to go out of your way to get on.

I lived down the street in another apartment complex near #2. I would not recommend living in that area, but that's just me.... so.... It was relatively OK, it's as safe as Phoenix can be, but you do have your usual creeps, pervs, etc... and general crime as well.

#3 also seems to be a better area than #2, but it's not much better. I've driven around there.

You really should check them all out in person. From your descriptions and my personal knowledge of the area, #1 may be the best choice.

On a funny note, our mortgage for a 1800+ sq ft, 2 story, 4 bd, 2 1/2 bath home is only $750 after taxes, PMI (mortgage insurance), and home insurance. I tell you what, it sure beats apartment living any day.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM

45 posts, read 118,089 times
You can check out the police statistics website to get an idea about safety. They might all have similar crime rates or one might have significantly lower rates. It also breaks the crimes down by type (homicide, sexual assault, drug, theft, etc) and you can get them for the specific grid square (about 1 mile by 1 mile I think) for a selected date range for each of the apartments.

Just google "phoenix police statistics" and it'll be the first link.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
#1 is in a decent area. However, if you need to take the 101 in the morning the traffic can be horrendous and there is no on/off ramp for Cave Creek either (if I remember correctly). You would have to go out of your way to get on.

I lived down the street in another apartment complex near #2. I would not recommend living in that area, but that's just me.... so.... It was relatively OK, it's as safe as Phoenix can be, but you do have your usual creeps, pervs, etc... and general crime as well.

#3 also seems to be a better area than #2, but it's not much better. I've driven around there.

You really should check them all out in person. From your descriptions and my personal knowledge of the area, #1 may be the best choice.

On a funny note, our mortgage for a 1800+ sq ft, 2 story, 4 bd, 2 1/2 bath home is only $750 after taxes, PMI (mortgage insurance), and home insurance. I tell you what, it sure beats apartment living any day.

Thank you. I am not ready to buy a house yet.

But anyways, thank you so much for this insight. This is what I am looking for: personal experience.

Now, do you know anything about these following areas?

Pinnacle at Union Hills. 4750 East Union Hills Drive. Is this still North Phoenix?

Monte Viejo on 2220 E Beardsley Rd.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
You can check out the police statistics website to get an idea about safety. They might all have similar crime rates or one might have significantly lower rates. It also breaks the crimes down by type (homicide, sexual assault, drug, theft, etc) and you can get them for the specific grid square (about 1 mile by 1 mile I think) for a selected date range for each of the apartments.

Just google "phoenix police statistics" and it'll be the first link.
Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 AM

382 posts, read 1,355,529 times
4750 East Union Hills Drive is on the edge of North Phoenix, I believe east of that (which is desert atm) turns into Scottsdale, but you'd have to look up city limits for a more exact answer. I know that Tatum and the 101 is still considered Phoenix, so I'm assuming the same for Tatum and Union Hills. It is a nice area, nicer than the other areas you have looked at so far. Shopping isn't too far away either.

2220 E Beardsley Rd is kind of hit or miss area. There are some really nice places around there, but if I remember correctly there were some iffy areas. I suggest definitely checking the areas on Cave Creek out before you sign any lease. Crime statistics do help, but a view from the eye is priceless.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
4750 East Union Hills Drive is on the edge of North Phoenix, I believe east of that (which is desert atm) turns into Scottsdale, but you'd have to look up city limits for a more exact answer. I know that Tatum and the 101 is still considered Phoenix, so I'm assuming the same for Tatum and Union Hills. It is a nice area, nicer than the other areas you have looked at so far. Shopping isn't too far away either.

2220 E Beardsley Rd is kind of hit or miss area. There are some really nice places around there, but if I remember correctly there were some iffy areas. I suggest definitely checking the areas on Cave Creek out before you sign any lease. Crime statistics do help, but a view from the eye is priceless.
lyzzard. Thanks. I have finished looking at all of the areas and the Tatum/Union Hills wins! And by the way, I had not even read this reply of yours. So, you are spot on. I just loved the complex. And funny that the 1b are bigger but less expensive, compared to Trillium. I felt skeptical about this but they have 84% approval from apartmentratings.com and very good reviews at yelp.com.

You are right. Beardsley and Cave Creek can be very iffy.
There are nice apartments around the area but one block behind you have these low-income houses. What's up with that?

Anyways, you have been of great help. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area