Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 PM

152 posts, read 518,247 times

Advertisements

I used ABF, and would NOT use them again.

When they dropped off the trailer, there was not a ramp, and when I asked about it, the driver said that would be a extra 150.00, they never disclosed this when giving me a quote, so I assumed a ramp came.

The ramp would be delivered the next day, and I already had my help scheduled, so we declined on the ramp.

Loaded it up in to the high trailer, getting a heavy entertainment center was really tough!

Then, it took over a week to get to our new location, and we waited and waited.

When a driver dropped it off, he told us "you have one hour to unload it!"

He explained if we took longer than one hour, we would have to pay extra!

That after we had been waiting and waiting for our stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 PM

675 posts, read 1,406,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999corvette View Post
I used ABF, and would NOT use them again.

When they dropped off the trailer, there was not a ramp, and when I asked about it, the driver said that would be a extra 150.00, they never disclosed this when giving me a quote, so I assumed a ramp came.

The ramp would be delivered the next day, and I already had my help scheduled, so we declined on the ramp.

Loaded it up in to the high trailer, getting a heavy entertainment center was really tough!

Then, it took over a week to get to our new location, and we waited and waited.

When a driver dropped it off, he told us "you have one hour to unload it!"

He explained if we took longer than one hour, we would have to pay extra!

That after we had been waiting and waiting for our stuff!
Wow. They told me I had 3 days on each end for loading/unloading. They also told me there would be a ramp. Hopefully that was an isolated incident.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,535,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Wow. They told me I had 3 days on each end for loading/unloading. They also told me there would be a ramp. Hopefully that was an isolated incident.
Be sure to get it in writing.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Be sure to get it in writing.
The contract states up to 3 days on each end. On the ramp it states: "A ramp will be available at most locations and will be delivered with the ABF trailer." I will check with them to make sure I am included in "most locations".

I am learning one thing. Packing sucks.

Here's the pile going to Texas. Damn Gauntlet game weighs about 300 lbs.

Here's my important stuff- a poker table and a cannon!

A room full of boxes

Another room full of boxes.

One of the first things I'm going to want to do when I get into town is get a keg of Dos Equis for my kegerator... anyone know where the beer distributors are?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Well loading day is tomorrow! The ABF trailer was dropped off this afternoon and placed just where I wanted it. Ramp is all set. Now if I can just squeeze all our stuff in there we'll be in good shape!

We also bought a house a few days ago so we don't have to live in a temporary rental- we will go straight into our new home!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Half way home!

We're 1000 miles into our 2000 mile journey to our new home. Spending a few days visiting our son in Texas.

The ABF was fun to pack. Kind of like a giant 3-d tetris game. I hired a couple of young guys from our company's warehouse to help load the heavy furniture, and then I packed the boxes around it. I filled pretty near every square inch. Good thing I also had the u-haul, because we filled that up too.

I do have to say that if I never have to drive through OK again it will be just fine with me. I-44 is one of the crappiest interstates I've been on. And they have the nerve to charge tolls the whole way? Cost me $29 bucks in tolls to get across that state. I asked one of the booth attendants what they did with the toll money, because they obviously weren't spending it on the roads.

Tomorrow we head off for Gallup. Hopefully we'll make better time now that half the u-haul has been dropped off.

Some of the odd signs we've seen so far:

"Do not drive into smoke"
"Change your life, not your wife"
"Hitchhikers may be escaped prisoners"
and, the Vacuum Cleaner Museum!! (we didn't stop)

Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM

38,977 posts, read 50,923,768 times
Quote:
Half way home!

We're 1000 miles into our 2000 mile journey to our new home. Spending a few days visiting our son in Texas.

The ABF was fun to pack. Kind of like a giant 3-d tetris game. I hired a couple of young guys from our company's warehouse to help load the heavy furniture, and then I packed the boxes around it. I filled pretty near every square inch. Good thing I also had the u-haul, because we filled that up too.

I do have to say that if I never have to drive through OK again it will be just fine with me. I-44 is one of the crappiest interstates I've been on. And they have the nerve to charge tolls the whole way? Cost me $29 bucks in tolls to get across that state. I asked one of the booth attendants what they did with the toll money, because they obviously weren't spending it on the roads.

Tomorrow we head off for Gallup. Hopefully we'll make better time now that half the u-haul has been dropped off.

Some of the odd signs we've seen so far:

"Do not drive into smoke"
"Change your life, not your wife"
"Hitchhikers may be escaped prisoners"
and, the Vacuum Cleaner Museum!! (we didn't stop)
Oh, you took the good freeway. I-40 makes 44 seem smooth as glass. 40 is free though. In fairness to OK, the 4-0 from El Reno to TX border is actually pretty good compared to a few years ago. When you get to Phoenix you will see what a really good freeway is like! I don't have a lot of love for PHX, but will say that after traveling around the US it is so nice to get back to the PHX freeway system.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,048,665 times
Sounds like fun, thanks for sharing the moving experience with us. It's always exciting seeing someone make the move. You should be feeling a little heat by now, next stop, put some sun block and sunglasses on. lol

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Well we arrived in Fountain Hills a few days ago and now have internet, tv, and our stuff- most of which is still in boxes everywhere.

1900 miles, took about 32 hours of driving time. I think I got about 10.5 mpg on the trip, towing a u-haul trailer.

Holy crap it's hot here!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,856,738 times
Quote:
Well we arrived in Fountain Hills a few days ago and now have internet, tv, and our stuff- most of which is still in boxes everywhere.

1900 miles, took about 32 hours of driving time. I think I got about 10.5 mpg on the trip, towing a u-haul trailer.

Holy crap it's hot here!!!
Welcome to AZ! Have fun with all the unpacking and putting away. The best thing about moving into a new place is a place for everything and everything in it's place...for a while anyway.

Hey, you can't say you weren't warned about the heat!! The good thing is that you aren't THAT far from the Mogollon Rim and it's a good place to 'escape' to.

Happy future adventures!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area