Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I see your point canudigit and also agree with you - that's why I pointed out that Ohio winters really aren't that bad. Sure there is occasional snow and occasional temps in the 0 degree range but that is generally rare - especially since the OP comes from Southern Ohio.

Like I said, if the OP wants to experience a bad winter she needs to go to the northern great plains in Minnesota, South Dakota or North Dakota.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 PM

12 posts, read 18,353 times
Canudigit,

I love the fact that you love Ohio winters, maybe a winter in North Dakota would cure our blues, but the reality is we hate winter. If you like it you should continue to live in the north, maybe northern Canada would make you happy. Everyone has a special place, ours would be someplace warm. I can assure you it was almost 45 days last winter when the sun did not shine in ohio, maybe not months and months, but still too long for us.

Thanks for your replies,

Mike and Kelly

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filos5 View Post
Canudigit,

I love the fact that you love Ohio winters, maybe a winter in North Dakota would cure our blues, but the reality is we hate winter. If you like it you should continue to live in the north, maybe northern Canada would make you happy. Everyone has a special place, ours would be someplace warm. I can assure you it was almost 45 days last winter when the sun did not shine in ohio, maybe not months and months, but still too long for us.

Thanks for your replies,

Mike and Kelly
Oh, I never said that I love Ohio winters, that's for sure, I was just commenting that we all, myself included, tend to exaggerate when we want to escape a place. I have lived in Ohio in the winter and I have lived in Arizona in the summer. I will not comment on either, you have to decide for yourself. Plus, I never said that I live in the North, in fact I haven't lived in Ohio for many years and never will again. South Carolina is my perfect place, I hope that you find that Arizona is yours.

God bless and I hope you are very happy if and when you decide to leave Ohio.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
Hello all,
We have spent some time looking through the threads here, and would like to get some feedback from people who have moved from Ohio. We currently live in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. My wife is in the medical field and I am in insurance sales, so jobs should not be an issue for us. We cannot bear the thought of going through another Ohio winter. Overall we are warm weather people, and my wife cannot stand the months and months without seeing the Sun. I realize it is hot in Phoenix, so we are planning a trip in Mid June and staying for about 3 weeks to see what we think about the heat.

We are a very involved family with 3 boys 12,10, and 8, and are focusing on the Gilbert area. Her job opportunity is in Gilbert and I can work anywhere. I currently commute 45min to 1 hour from the area I service now, but I normally only travel 4 days per week and on non-peak hours.

We would like to get any feedback from families that have made the move.

Thanks,

Mike and Kelly
Well if you've read many threads then you've probably seen me rambling about our upcoming move. My 30+ years 'stuck' here in Ohio come to an end in less than 3 weeks.
We both hate the cold weather, and the fact that it gets plenty worse in some other places than it does here in Ohio provides no comfort. This last winter was particularly bad and if we needed any extra incentive, that was it. The spring seemed to take forever to warm up. It wasn't until last Sunday May 23rd that we could get in the pool for the first time.

If you're heading for a 3-week trip in June, that will tell you a lot about how you'll deal with the heat.
I'll also be working in Gilbert, which seems like a nice community. So in a month or so I can give you feedback- right now I can only offer up encouragement! Go for it!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 AM

Canudigit,

Did you move from Arizona to South Carolina? I will agree with you that South Carolina is nice. We have vacationed there a few times, Myrtle Beach area. I will agree with you that you start to build up the negatives in an area when you are ready to leave. It's not that we hate Ohio, we only wish the weather was nicer for a longer period of time. I don't know if its me, but as I have gotten older, almost 40, the winters have gotten longer and longer. It seems the past few years we have a few weeks of spring and fall, a few months of summer and then it gets cold again.

Zathras,

I just read you post again, looks like we will be heading west about the same time. Good luck with you move and keep me posted.

Thanks for all you help

Mike and Kelly

Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Canudigit,

Did you move from Arizona to South Carolina? I will agree with you that South Carolina is nice. We have vacationed there a few times, Myrtle Beach area. I will agree with you that you start to build up the negatives in an area when you are ready to leave. It's not that we hate Ohio, we only wish the weather was nicer for a longer period of time. I don't know if its me, but as I have gotten older, almost 40, the winters have gotten longer and longer. It seems the past few years we have a few weeks of spring and fall, a few months of summer and then it gets cold again.

Zathras,

I just read you post again, looks like we will be heading west about the same time. Good luck with you move and keep me posted.

Thanks for all you help

Mike and Kelly
Yes we depart on the 16th headed for St Louis the first night. We're in Miamisburg which is probably not far from you if you're between Dayton & Cincy. There are some great real estate deals out there right now! Enjoy your trip as well!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
Quote:
Everyone has a special place, ours would be someplace warm.
Phoenix is far from "warm."

Best of luck in your travels and I hope you find a satisfactory place to live, be sure to take your sunscreen

BTW - more Buckeyes fans are always welcome in the Valley of the Sun!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Zathras,

We are in lebanon. We both grew up and went to school in Miamisburg. I wish you a safe trip, we plan on leaving the same day, although I will leave at night and go as far as I can the first day. I like to drive at night so I don't have to deal with traffic.

Hey Nick

Huge buckeye fans here. If we make the move, plan on a party at my place for Ohio state vs Michigan.

Thanks guys,

Mike and Kelly

Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
BTW - more Buckeyes fans are always welcome in the Valley of the Sun!
That opinion is not universally held.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM

I've heard that OSU game parties are more common than one would think out there...

O! H! . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area