Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM

117 posts, read 250,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This is not an issue of illegal immigration; this is an issue of rights. Is it right to pass a law that allows detention and questioning of someone based solely on their race? If you are white, you probably don't care but this law is going to affect the rights of many legal non-whites, who will be detained and questioned solely because of their non-white skin color.
not if you have valid id. and its actually not about race at all it is about being legal. nothing stops them from coming over here and becoming a citizen. it is their fault that they don't take the proper steps to do it. whats the point in being a citizen or becoming one though if there aren't any legal reasons to right?? should we allow them to take over the country. mexicans aren't the only ones that come to this country illegally either btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,640,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
I'm focused on all crime, we just happen to be talking about illegal immigration therefore it's the topic at hand. There's nothing prejudice or racist at all about what I said, you act as it illegals are all of the same race which they are not. The only thing all illegal immigrants have in common is the simple fact that they don't belong here in the United States and they don't respect the laws of this nation. Say whatever you like but that's a fact and no canceled club concert can change those facts.
Focused on all crime? Hey you opened this cans of worms with your little satirical paragrah about all the crime averted b/c Pitbull wasnt coming and the "illegals" therefore were not present to commit so alleged crimes.....

I am not acting as if all illegals are the "same race" but the fact is most people here illegally are Mexican only b/c they are the close to our border, but in Mexico there are different races. There are asians, Indians, even a group of white people who settled in from Germany decades ago! It just depends what part of Mexico they are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Most, which means majority, is still a blunt generalization, and is still just as stereotypical.

So a few of your illegal friends like music in their own language, how does that give you the right to make false claims about the majority of illegals?

Most of the hispanics I have ever worked with seem to prefer country music, and I have worked with countless illegals and legal in various jobs. So does that give me the right to make false claims such as you did?
What makes you think all my friends that are hispanic are illegals, there are people here with papers who still haven't mastered the Eng language that doesn't mean they are illegal, but yes they prefer to go to concerts where they understand the music and the groups often sing about their homeland. Ive been to English and Spanish music concerts over the years annd have seen who gos to what.
True, some people from other countries like different music from here too I wont argue that, Im just saying to go see these concerts they usually want to see the ones that have the music they are used to and brought up listening to.
Anyways the only reason I even brought this up is b/c Meanfish stated all those illegals would be at the Pitbull concert just waiting to commit all this crime....which I disagree with.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,715 times
Quote:
This is not an issue of illegal immigration; this is an issue of rights. Is it right to pass a law that allows detention and questioning of someone based solely on their race? If you are white, you probably don't care but this law is going to affect the rights of many legal non-whites, who will be detained and questioned solely because of their non-white skin color.

Race has nothing to do with it; nationality has lots to do with it. The rules have been different for different countries for years and years. The State Department doesn't publish Visa application statistics because they are so shameful, and it's certainly not the hispanics getting the short end of the deal.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,792,994 times
Quote:

Oh Geeze...Stop trying to make this a racist bill!! I'm white and Italian and in the summer get darker than my Jamaican friend,am I worried about being profiled when I go to Az., NO! Why, because I don't plan on committing any crimes while there. I also don't have a problem bringing my passport just in case! Based on your post I can see you HAVEN'T read the bill at all either.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,408,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Oh Geeze...Stop trying to make this a racist bill!! I'm white and Italian and in the summer get darker than my Jamaican friend,am I worried about being profiled when I go to Az., NO! Why, because I don't plan on committing any crimes while there. I also don't have a problem bringing my passport just in case! Based on your post I can see you HAVEN'T read the bill at all either.
Hey, people who have no clue what's in the bill have every right to weigh in on it... apparently..
RealClearPolitics - Video - Napolitano Admits She Hasn't Read Arizona Law But Says She Wouldn't Sign It

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares84 View Post
Oh, but its ok for illegal immigrants to get free healthcare, food stamps and take jobs cause they are willing to work for less? What about you paying taxes so they can live for free. You are more worried about the hotels and restaurants and poor Pitbull rather than what is coming out of your pocket to support the illegal immigrants.
Please tell me where I said that.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Geez, read the law! It expressly forbids the use of race, national origin or skin color AT ALL, much less solely in developing "reasonable suspicion". In AZ it is illegal to use race as grounds to question someone about their citizen status.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,780,679 times
This has been sliding off topic, and will be soon merged into another thread...

Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 AM
zox

344 posts, read 477,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I think the boycotts are the stupidest things vie seen in a long time. Who are these idiot cities really hurting? It's like yes...we support immigrants and Americans...so let's take away their jobs and give them less work. Maybe the guy I overheard this morning was correct....LA is boycotting AZ because their are afraid all the illegals will go to CA due to the law here.
I don't understand this response. Boycotts are not meant to be positive. They are designed to cause damage. The governor and legislature is not concerned with how others perceive them or this law. The only method for other states to coerce our politicians to make change is to impact our state financially. It is a means to an end.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 AM
zox

344 posts, read 477,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The truth is that the majority of people in the United States are in favor of the Law. At last count 64% of the nation is in favor of the law. It is based on the National Law and in its 10 pages has nothing that is not in line with how the Federal Government and the Constitution of the United States feels about protecting our borders from illegal immigrants. From what I see and hear those that are against it or spew what they think of the law have not even read it. WHen you have a place like Los Angeles that is boycoting the state and the city of LA is broke then that is an empty political move that means nothing to the state of Arizona. It is easy to say that you won't spend money somewhere when you don't have any to spend.
Those numbers vary depending on which poll you reference. A NY Times poll concluded that 52% of Americans support this bill. It is meaningless to draw a conclusion based on an overall percentage. The majority of entertainers in this country fit in the 35 and younger category and the majority in that bracket oppose this law. I agree the majority of people have not read it including many news sources or they have drawn false conclusions regarding it. However, that doesn't mean our legislature couldn't have created a smarter solution. For example, why didn't our legislature mandate that every person arrested in this state would have their status verified to see if they were in the country legally. It would have accomplished the same goal without attracting the ire of the entire country. This is why I feel our politicians have failed us. I think they should have taken some time and thought these issues out instead of creating a piece of legislations out of some knee jerk reaction to their frustration with the Federal Government's failure to enforce immigration policy. I agree with our legislature in principle but not in their execution. They could have managed this in a far smarter manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area