Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times

Advertisements

well hopefully our president is going to do something about this on a federal level as I saw somewhere on yahoo, and btw he doesnt like this law either and in fact he says here that "he condemned Arizona's crackdown and pushed instead for a federal fix the nation could embrace." Obama clamors for federal fix to immigration woes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_mexico - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
So we are being boycotted, people are canceling everything and anything that has to do with our state, sports, entertainment, business. Our President is apologizing to Mexico for us because thats all they want to talk about now. Now we are threatening to cut off Cali's electricity as a backlash? Do I smell a revolution or what? This is getting really retarded. Is Colorado going to shut off our water next? lol

What is this a stand off? Lets just drop it and move on already, geez
Either that or start the separation from the rest of the country and make a new country and just be that lone little country in the corner of North America between the U.S. and Mexico.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 AM
zox

344 posts, read 478,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
MLB needs us more than we need them. Go ahead and shut it down. We want the laws against illegal aliens ENFORCED.
The Cubs were willing to move to Florida because a city was willing to provide them with a new complex. They only chose to stay here because Mesa agreed to build them a new complex and because of their recognition of how much the Cubs impacts the city of Mesa. There are many areas of the country that would gladly take our Cactus League business away from us. Make no mistake, we need MLB more than it needs us. SB1070 is a lot of rhetoric. We already have laws that are not enforced that have nothing to do with the Federal government. Our own state law enforcement does not prosecute companies that hire illegals. What makes you think enforcement will increase because more acts will now be considered illegal or a misdemeanor? The primary reason we can't enforce the laws is because we lack the resources to do so. We don't have enough law enforcement officials nor the prisons to host them in. Instead of making excuses about the Federal government not providing financial support to hiring more border patrol and police officers, why didn't our legislature raise taxes and hire those people on their own? If MLB pulls out of Arizona and teams boycott the state to train elsewhere, that will severely damage our economy. Hotels and restaurants would stay empty and not receive the tourism related to Spring Training they receive each year. That would have a trickle down effect and lead to more job losses.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
For crying out loud, we have over 3 million people living in the Valley. We have big aerospace corporations, defense companies, hospitals, ASU, and a whole host of other things.

Sports does not make Phoenix this big. Sports is a microcosm. We can get along fine without Cardinals/Coyotes/Suns/Diamondbacks, and Cactus League. We can get along fine without the Phoenix Open.

Take it away pro sports business. I don't care. I want the law against illegal aliens ENFORCED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
The Cubs were willing to move to Florida because a city was willing to provide them with a new complex. They only chose to stay here because Mesa agreed to build them a new complex and because of their recognition of how much the Cubs impacts the city of Mesa. There are many areas of the country that would gladly take our Cactus League business away from us. Make no mistake, we need MLB more than it needs us. SB1070 is a lot of rhetoric. We already have laws that are not enforced that have nothing to do with the Federal government. Our own state law enforcement does not prosecute companies that hire illegals. What makes you think enforcement will increase because more acts will now be considered illegal or a misdemeanor? The primary reason we can't enforce the laws is because we lack the resources to do so. We don't have enough law enforcement officials nor the prisons to host them in. Instead of making excuses about the Federal government not providing financial support to hiring more border patrol and police officers, why didn't our legislature raise taxes and hire those people on their own? If MLB pulls out of Arizona and teams boycott the state to train elsewhere, that will severely damage our economy. Hotels and restaurants would stay empty and not receive the tourism related to Spring Training they receive each year. That would have a trickle down effect and lead to more job losses.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,268 times
I'd rather give my support to ASU/U of A Athletics, than a pro sport laser light, rap show.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I don't think MLB is going anywhere. Aside from the fact that they are bound by contracts, the people who follow them down here are mostly affluent old geezers who would strongly support this law. The Cubs (and other teams) selected the valley because we are dumb enough to build them new facilities and raise our taxes while giving them tax breaks where some FL communities were not BUT ALSO because the weather is better here in Spring and there is much less team travel involved in going to the various venues.

Anyway, in a couple months the law will either be suspended or enforced. If it is the latter, then everyone will see that this racial profile worry is much ado about nothing.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 AM

223 posts, read 596,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares84 View Post
not if you have valid id. and its actually not about race at all it is about being legal. nothing stops them from coming over here and becoming a citizen. it is their fault that they don't take the proper steps to do it. whats the point in being a citizen or becoming one though if there aren't any legal reasons to right?? should we allow them to take over the country. mexicans aren't the only ones that come to this country illegally either btw.
You miss my point, Mares84. My point is - what if you are a US citizen, but dark-skinned. What if you are walking down the street? It is a very strongly defended right of US citizens that they do NOT have to carry ID (unless driving). There have been many attempts to introduce a national ID card in the US, and they have been defeated by 'freedom' oriented citizens. This is the issue of 'present your papers' that is being discussed. The irony is, if you are a legal alien (as I was, a 'Green Card' holder), you ARE required to carry your ID. But once you become a Citizen, you no longer have to carry any ID.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Oh Geeze...Stop trying to make this a racist bill!! I'm white and Italian and in the summer get darker than my Jamaican friend,am I worried about being profiled when I go to Az., NO! Why, because I don't plan on committing any crimes while there. I also don't have a problem bringing my passport just in case! Based on your post I can see you HAVEN'T read the bill at all either.
Well I have absolutely no intention of carrying my passport; I keep it locked away in CA, where I also have a home. You say above that you don't plan on committing any crimes; but committing a crime is NOT a requirement for being detained under the new law - only that the officers involved have 'reasonable suspicion' that you may be illegal. Ironically, I do support the idea of a national ID card, and I would gladly carry something that fits in my wallet to demonstrate my citizenship. The right-wingers are the ones fighting that. I won't carry the passport because it's way too big to fit conveniently in a pocket.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
For crying out loud, we have over 3 million people living in the Valley. We have big aerospace corporations, defense companies, hospitals, ASU, and a whole host of other things.

Sports does not make Phoenix this big. Sports is a microcosm. We can get along fine without Cardinals/Coyotes/Suns/Diamondbacks, and Cactus League. We can get along fine without the Phoenix Open.

Take it away pro sports business. I don't care. I want the law against illegal aliens ENFORCED.
Forget the revenue aspect of the Cactus League; it brings a valuable element of entertainment to the region - something to do, one more reason to live here. Why are you so eager to see the law 'ENFORCED' ... ? Are you ready to pay a lot more for landscaping, for house cleaning, for your local groceries ...?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Forget the revenue aspect of the Cactus League; it brings a valuable element of entertainment to the region - something to do, one more reason to live here. Why are you so eager to see the law 'ENFORCED' ... ? Are you ready to pay a lot more for landscaping, for house cleaning, for your local groceries ...?
So basically you just want illegals around so they can be exploited for cheap labor. That in itself is disgraceful. I am sick and tired of all the so called pro- illegal folks they have this whole they are people too attitude, but want to take advantage of them for cherap labor.
How about we turn the border into a DMZ and actually defend our border for a change. Time to put some heads on a stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area