Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM

29 posts, read 61,301 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the Phx area for about 8 yrs and have only found a handful of healthy restaurants...True Food, Pita Jungle, Green Restaurant, and Wildflower Bread Company. Anybody have any more suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM

223 posts, read 594,341 times
I'm going to watch this thread with interest and hope it gains steam! I've been here just over a year, and my g/f and I struggle to find healthy dining alternatives.

Pita Jungle is our current savior - we go there at least once a week. Another 'solution' for us is to go to Sushi bars (Japanese Restaurants) and order grilled fish (salmon, Mackerel, etc). We aren't interested in total vegetarian restaurants, just fresh ingredients, healthy food, etc. We tried Kings Seafood restaurant at Tempe Marketplace - very disappointing (seafood overcooked).

Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,036,636 times
Pita Jungle is good. Also, AJs is not a restaurant, but they have a cafe area. Whole Foods does, too. Not where you were heading I don't think, but kinda like the better for you fast food for lunch? There are some others that I will get the names of and pass on. They are Ethipian places and serve a good deal of raw and veg, foods.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM

29 posts, read 61,301 times
I just remembered Paradise Bakery is healthy too. I love love LOVE their crumbly blue cheese salad! They have one in almost every mall, including Tempe Marketplace.

Speaking of grocery stores, I often shop at Sprouts. Trader Joes is ok too. I've heard of another called Sunflower (in Tempe?), but I haven't checked that place out yet.

Yes, sidrah, please pass on the Ethiopian place. Indian restaurants also have pretty good veggie dishes. There's one by SMOCA that's delish.

Last edited by Kankan88; 06-01-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,234,338 times
Go to Yelp.com. Most of the trendy restaurants are healthy or have healthy options. There are too many to list. Most of the Fox concept restaurants have healthy items on their menu. There are a lot of good seafood restaurants like Wildfish and Eddie Vees. Here is an example of a restaurant I just found, Nourish

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nourish-scottsdale

Type vegetarian and/or vegan and a lot of restaurants will pop up. You can even befriend people on the site and ask them where to go and they will tell you.

Either way, if you enjoy going out and learning about what is in your community, I would join Yelp. I find a new restaurant on there each day. That site made me realize there are so many great restaurants in the Valley that most people don't know exist.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,036,636 times
I was gonna find the ones I knew of, but I found this and it seems much better! That one Ethiopian one I was looking for is not there. I think it's on University and Kyrene???
Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants -HappyCow- Health Food / Vegan Dining Arizona, AZ -Sorted by Veg Type

Okay, found it, It's called the Blue Nile. Here is a review and menu link.
Best vegan/raw food restaurant in Phoenix: Blue Nile Cafe

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,555,544 times
Be careful of soy products - soy is not good for those with hypothyroidism, those with elevated TSH levels. Soy products are usually higher in sodium. Also goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables. Cooking / steaming the cruciferous vegetables removes a lot of the goitrogens. So I agree with the original poster that eating fish, particularly high in Omega 3's, is better than going pure vegetarian. The key is to not become obese and maintain your weight within ten lbs of optimum for your body type.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,746,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
I was gonna find the ones I knew of, but I found this and it seems much better! That one Ethiopian one I was looking for is not there. I think it's on University and Kyrene???
Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants -HappyCow- Health Food / Vegan Dining Arizona, AZ -Sorted by Veg Type

Okay, found it, It's called the Blue Nile. Here is a review and menu link.
Best vegan/raw food restaurant in Phoenix: Blue Nile Cafe
The Ethiopian restuarant is Lalibela Ethiopian Cafe @ University and Hardy in Tempe. I've never eaten there but everyone raves about it.

Lalibela Ethiopian Cafe - Tempe, AZ

Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM

223 posts, read 594,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankan88 View Post
I just remembered Paradise Bakery is healthy too. I love love LOVE their crumbly blue cheese salad! They have one in almost every mall, including Tempe Marketplace.
That Blue Cheese salad (the one with Cranberries and pine nuts, right?!) is so wonderful! Other than being on the pricey side, I think they are great. They even have a good sized setup at the airport in Term. 4; we now plan on eating lunch there whenever we fly. I wish they'd charge less and stop giving free cookies!

We had dinner at Pita J last night; they've just introduced a new 'June special' - fried cauliflower. It is WONDERFUL!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,386,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankan88 View Post

Speaking of grocery stores, I often shop at Sprouts. Trader Joes is ok too. I've heard of another called Sunflower (in Tempe?), but I haven't checked that place out yet.

Yes, sidrah, please pass on the Ethiopian place. Indian restaurants also have pretty good veggie dishes. There's one by SMOCA that's delish.
You're kidding, right? That salad has 34g of fat! How can you possibly consider that healthy?

Healthy usually means low fat, moderate carbs, high protein, at least for most people. Unless your on a ketosis type of diet eating this salad would limit you to no more fat intake the rest of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area