Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 89,043 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at Shea homes in the Mountain Shadow subdivision of Arroyo Mountain Estates. It's located Jack Rabbit Trail and West Camelback north of I-10. They're very nice homes and offer basement plans, which we are interested in. But the project is about a mile or so west of any built up area .

We're hard-core suburbanites and the wife is more than a little uncomfortable with the 'condition of the neighborhood', seemingly 'in the middle of nowhere'.

I've told her that housing developments would likely fill in the gap between this neighborhood and the more populous ones to the east in the next few years. But she would like to hear something more likely than just my best guess.

Are any of you folks aware of any development plans in that area?

Also, the addresses there are Litchfield Park, but my understanding is that this area is a Maricopa County cell and under county jurisdiction and services. Any additional info about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,678,474 times
If we knew when development will pick up again, we could all get wealthy. Development has come to a halt with the lack of credit and doesnt look too promising right now for the commercial developers. Shea Homes does build a decent home and we have one up in Vistancia. We bought 5 years ago when we were really removed from any shopping and had just a 4 way stop sign at the 4 corners which now has major shopping like Lowes, Home Depot, Pier One etc. Took about 2 years to see the change come but that was during the boom. There are other communities you could look at that have more options for shopping. Vistancia is in north Peoria and it really is a nice/newer city. Best of luck in your search.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,220,726 times
Those homes seem really overpriced for today's market. In general right now, it's not a great investment to buy new construction when there is so much inventory out there for less. Same thing in my neck of the woods, the new construction that is being built are selling for 25% more than the 2-3 year old homes that already have landscaping, window treatments, etc.

As far as what city that is in, it probably is in an unincorporated part of Maricopa county. You can ask the new home sales representative for more info as to whether it will be annexed, who does the services, etc.

In my opinion, if you like that area, look a few miles southeast of there in Palm Valley. There's a lot of nice 2-4 year old resale homes that are selling for much less per square foot than those new homes, and they are in a better location closer to all the shopping, schools, golf, etc. Toll Brothers built in there, Beazer had some nice houses on huge lots, etc. I would think you could get the same square footage of a house for less.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks. We are also looking in Palm Valley and near around there. We're not having much luck, though, in finding a place (new or re-sale) with a basement.

Toll Brothers has a new development (also in Litchfield Park, but several miles west of the Shea one) and they have basements -- but much higher priced than the Shea ones.

We came across one that was lender-owed (also Shea built in Palm Valley). But it went off the market as quickly as it came on.

We're coming from Hawaii and plan to make the move next May or June, so we have some time. But we're finding it really hard to do from afar. We've made one week-long trip in to look around, but it's an awkward undertaking.

I was hoping with this post to discover whether someone knew something about that open expanse between the built up areas and the Shea Litchfield project -- like the property has been acquired by xx-developer and they have secured permits, zoning, whatever, indicating an intention to build in the next five years.

If I felt fairly comfortable that that was going to happen, I would be willing to talk more seriously with the Shea folks about coming to some sort of agreement. Given the circumstances surrounding housing there, I would hope I could get some fairly significant incentives to buy.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,220,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDudeDon View Post
Thanks. We are also looking in Palm Valley and near around there. We're not having much luck, though, in finding a place (new or re-sale) with a basement.

Toll Brothers has a new development (also in Litchfield Park, but several miles west of the Shea one) and they have basements -- but much higher priced than the Shea ones.

We came across one that was lender-owed (also Shea built in Palm Valley). But it went off the market as quickly as it came on.

We're coming from Hawaii and plan to make the move next May or June, so we have some time. But we're finding it really hard to do from afar. We've made one week-long trip in to look around, but it's an awkward undertaking.

I was hoping with this post to discover whether someone knew something about that open expanse between the built up areas and the Shea Litchfield project -- like the property has been acquired by xx-developer and they have secured permits, zoning, whatever, indicating an intention to build in the next five years.

If I felt fairly comfortable that that was going to happen, I would be willing to talk more seriously with the Shea folks about coming to some sort of agreement. Given the circumstances surrounding housing there, I would hope I could get some fairly significant incentives to buy.
Since the first time buyer program has ended, I think we'll start to see an increase in inventory and a reduction in prices, so hang in there. I know the houses you are looking at are not typical first time buyer priced, I think it will affect some of the houses you are looking at too.

Regarding what is going on between this area and Palm Valley, you can google Palm Valley 303 and see that some of it is planned business park. My guess is that there will be a mix of haphazard subdivisions (areas that aren't in a master plan like Palm Valley), industrial, office and retail. Although I wouldn't expect to see much new activity out there for the next 5+ years.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM

134 posts, read 512,478 times
Shea Homes (big private company) has good reputation and
my friends that live in houses built by Shea seem
be happy. I don't think that basement is very common
in homes here - even the models with basement by Shea are
more recent offering (maybe just 2 years ago?). I love
the Shea model house with basement in Vistancia. The
2 families I know that live in them love their basement.
These basement are finished and functional (unlike the
older scary ones in East Coast older homes). Quiet, supposed
cooler in summer and warmer in "winter" and some much fun
for the kids. I think all houses in Phoenix should have basement.
Only concern I have about basement is about potential flooding.
Maybe another concern is that basement are new "thing" (natural
fear of the unknown).
New homes are overpriced compared to relatively new used houses
here but I don't see many (if any) "used" houses for sale
with basement on the west. And price of houses
nowadays are like half compare to 2005-07.
Development wise as others have stated - don't know. Short term
not that great. But one generally need a car (public transport
is next to none is most places) and I don't like to live
next to a mall. Even from Vistancia, it would take 10 miles
to the major mall in Arrowhead Towne Center although there
are other malls nearby.
The usual golden time-tested advice is very true - to get a feel
of the place, you and your wife should spend some time visiting
here since it is a major move and very diffent from Hawaii
(confession/disclaimer: Sadly I have never been there
only from what I read and see. But Phoenix is very different
from Bay Area, East Coast etc). And right now the job and economy
are not that great.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks again, ASUFAN.

I looked at the available Palm Valley 303 info on-line.

I think you're probably right about both what the development mix will be like and the iffy time frame for it to take place -- not encouraging.

It will likely be a while before that area 'fills in' and when it does, there could actually be a rush hour traffic issue if all that industry materializes there.

I wouldn't mind the place at Arroyo Mountain Estates at all myself, but can't bring myself to mislead the missus about the neighborhood. She feels very uncomfortable with it the way it is today.

Guess we'll sit tight and see if some more likely prospects start showing up on the MLS.

If I had a really sharp realtor there that also functions well as a mind reader, this whole long-distance shopping undertaking could be a bit less challenging.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,136,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDudeDon View Post
If I had a really sharp realtor there that also functions well as a mind reader, this whole long-distance shopping undertaking could be a bit less challenging.
I can read men's minds pretty good. It is the women's minds that I cannot read.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I can read men's minds pretty good. It is the women's minds that I cannot read.

You are not alone!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,503 times
Default Shea Homes in Litchfield Park, AZ

This community is by far the best value for the money. At $70 a square foot, coupled with the Shea reputation, quality and construction these homes make all the sense in the world.
As far as the community...most of the home owners sought this community because of the "remote" feel, nestled against the beautiful backdrop of the White Tank Foothills, on very generous 1/4 acre lots. Located only 3 1/2 miles from I-10, there is easy access to get "anywhere".
This community is a Litchfield Park address, seviced by 911, Sheriff and Buckeye Valley Fire District. It is true that at some point the area could be annexed, but no one knows when that would happen.
As for future development. There is a 73,000 sq. ft. Neighborhood Center, anchored by Walgreens that will be going in at the four corners @ Jackrabbit Trail and Indian School Road. Most likely will take some time to get built ( as the Vistancia resident mentioned for his community ).
Verrado ( the master planned community ot the West of Shea Homes) has added over 14,000 homes.

There most likely will be quite a bit of "new" development before you make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area