Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Anybody have any comments on this?

I specifically created the polls that way for a reason when I took over the polls. I am willing to consider any opinions...

Rich
If I were to enter a photo and it actually got votes I would rep those who voted for it, win or lose, as a jesture of gratitiude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If I were to enter a photo and it actually got votes I would rep those who voted for it, win or lose, as a jesture of gratitiude.
That is a good point.

I'm not interested in making it a rep generator.

Rich

Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I don't care one way or another. It isn't personal IMO. A picture appeals to people in different ways. Though, after having been here for a while, I would know why a particular member voted for it. Some people vote for technical merit, some vote just because the scene/shot/subject appealed to them. Back in the way old days, there were some posters who rallied their forum friends to vote for them on this contest. It was obvious that the photo was not a winner but it was garnering the most votes...pretty obvious it was like American Idol. But back then also, photo contests here had a cash prize. The competition was nasty and some have been underhanded about it. But now it's all in good fun...so display away the names!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't care one way or another. It isn't personal IMO. A picture appeals to people in different ways. Though, after having been here for a while, I would know why a particular member voted for it. Some people vote for technical merit, some vote just because the scene/shot/subject appealed to them. Back in the way old days, there were some posters who rallied their forum friends to vote for them on this contest. It was obvious that the photo was not a winner but it was garnering the most votes...pretty obvious it was like American Idol. But back then also, photo contests here had a cash prize. The competition was nasty and some have been underhanded about it. But now it's all in good fun...so display away the names!

Well if you, "don't care one way or another", then why, "display away with the names"?
It matters a whole lot to me - enough so that I haven't been entering month after month.

I do appreciate you giving it consideration, Rich. Thanks!

- rainroosty -

Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Well if you, "don't care one way or another", then why, "display away with the names"?
It matters a whole lot to me - enough so that I haven't been entering month after month.

I do appreciate you giving it consideration, Rich. Thanks!

- rainroosty -
"I don't care one way or another" means if enough people say don't display the names, then don't. Else, display! Clear enough?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
"I don't care one way or another" means if enough people say don't display the names, then don't. Else, display! Clear enough?

I understood what you said quite well the first time.
You said, "But now it's all in good fun...so display away the names!"

Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Do the polls actually show who voted for what photo? I hadn't noticed that. All that appears to me is as a vote is cast it(the vote) gets credited to the photo with no names revealed. I feel that maybe the votes should be kept secret until the contest is actually over, but that would just lead to more complaining. I'm fine with the way it's done currently. I'm not ashamed to let others see for whom I have voted,(if that's the case) as I vote for what I feel depicts the current theme the best or what I feel is the best photo to me. As it should be!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Do the polls actually show who voted for what photo? I hadn't noticed that. All that appears to me is as a vote is cast it(the vote) gets credited to the photo with no names revealed. I feel that maybe the votes should be kept secret until the contest is actually over, but that would just lead to more complaining. I'm fine with the way it's done currently. I'm not ashamed to let others see for whom I have voted,(if that's the case) as I vote for what I feel depicts the current theme the best or what I feel is the best photo to me. As it should be!
The polls actually show who voted for each photo until the poll closes. Then who voted is no longer shown to the public.

It is possible for me to find out who voted. It is something I do not like to do, but have gotten it in the past in a poll elsewhere in another forum. ADDED

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-10-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The polls actually show who voted for each photo until the poll closes. Then who voted is no longer shown to the public.

It is possible for me to find out who voted. It is something I do not like to do, but have gotten it in the past.
Rich
Shows how much I care as I never even noticed it before.

Thx Rich good job!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've noticed it, but I didn't think much about it. However, I have had certain people vote for my picture and felt a little bad that I didn't vote for theirs, but obviously you can't vote for everyone! So I try to rep people whenever I see a picture I like, even if I vote for a different one in the contests. I can also see showing the names as a way to prevent people from voting for their own pictures, or worse, creating new accounts and voting for their own pictures several times. Although of the posters in this forum I've come to know, I doubt any of them would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests