Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many picture entries per member? (Home State Contests)
Unlimited? 0 0%
2 per person? 11 64.71%
1 per person? 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times

Advertisements

Bulldawg - regarding your question on panoramas and stitching. From what I read, you edit one photo first, and then you can copy/clone the settings in your software to the other remaining photos to be stitched. In my RAW developer, I can save the parameters of one pic and copy it onto the others. I'm not sure how to do that in Elements, but I'm sure someone will jump in with ideas.

ETA: On second thought, it might be easier if you stitched first and edited later. That way you only have to edit once, and it will be consistent throughout the shots.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 01-13-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Bulldawg - regarding your question on panoramas and stitching.
Thanx, bitbit612. I tried to manually adjust those four shots not only while shooting but in processing. Just by eye. The sky actually got 'blue-er' as I panned and I could only adjust so much. I will get better at this... even if I have to wait for a solid color sky to shoot against!! During the shooting part I adjusted the camera for the same exposure on each shot not anticipating the change in color (or hue) and then in processing, well, I just eye-balled it. With my limited software abilities I am not so sure about saving parameters and copying them to others. After further review, it seems as if the sky went from nearly white to an almost blue bird color. With that in mind I am actually not too disappointed with the results. But I will get better. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Thanx, bitbit612. I tried to manually adjust those four shots not only while shooting but in processing. Just by eye. The sky actually got 'blue-er' as I panned and I could only adjust so much. I will get better at this... even if I have to wait for a solid color sky to shoot against!! During the shooting part I adjusted the camera for the same exposure on each shot not anticipating the change in color (or hue) and then in processing, well, I just eye-balled it. With my limited software abilities I am not so sure about saving parameters and copying them to others. After further review, it seems as if the sky went from nearly white to an almost blue bird color. With that in mind I am actually not too disappointed with the results. But I will get better. Thanks for the input.
Perhaps this is where the problem might be...I don't think you should adjust the settings as you take each shot. After all, it is a continuous shot so if I were doing this, I would just pan horizontally without changing the settings. You're probably thinking that as you pan, you hit some high extreme in change of exposure (like running into the sun full on). IMO, try to set your exposure on the entire scene using the area of highest contrast as your focal point. (I'm sure the more knowlegeable peeps of the forum will chime in and set me straight if I need to be!). Use more than 3 shots so that the overlaps are small and the difference in exposures will be seamless. I really like that you try different things, as I learn from your experiments as well. I don't always get a chance to go out and shoot things...I may be one of those good in theory but lacking in application. It's nice to see the application part come to life. Thanks for that!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Perhaps this is where the problem might be...
You may be right on this one... but as I was panning I watched the little scale on the bottom of the eye viewer bounce several lines in each pan. I could not help myself but to change shutter speed to get the gauge line thingy right back into the middle again. Past experience told me that if I did not, well, I was certainly going to see a more exposed shot as the line thingy went up (to the right). Like I said earlier... If I keep trying perhaps some day I will get a dead even sky 'lighting' situation.
Shooting half of the frame (bottom half) of reflective water sure did not help my case any. I will keep trying....

Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
This whole photography thing drives me crazy. I can upload to an album but I can't upload to any C-D forum. .

Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
This whole photography thing drives me crazy. I can upload to an album but I can't upload to any C-D forum. .
linicx,

The way I do it is like this; After putting my picture on a hosting site (I use Flickr mostly, but also use Shutterfly and Photobucket) I left click the picture and then click "save image location". Then I come on here, click the image icon, erase the 'http://' in the box, right click the empty box and then paste my picture location from Flickr. It sounds difficult... it is difficult to explain... but once you get it... well, it is easy. That first time is the hardest!!
I hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
RedBird!! WOW! Love the first one! So naturally beautiful.

Quad City,
Your picture - is it in sepia tones? How were you able to achieve the tan colorings?
It's gorgeous!

This is why I love the "Home State" theme! We can live and experience other states through the eyes of the photographer. Thank you ALL!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 AM

415 posts, read 1,739,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Quad City,
Your picture - is it in sepia tones? How were you able to achieve the tan colorings?
It's gorgeous!
Snow, clouds, light pollution, "Night Scenery mode," a tripod, and a cheap camera? I had the same thing happen 2 winters ago when I took this shot on a different bridge in the Quad Cities. You wouldn't know it, but the image below is in color. Maybe some actual photographers can explain it.

Its probably my favorite picture I've ever taken, but it actually looks better in black and white. I could have tried to pass it off as being from this Winter... but that's not cool.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 AM

409 posts, read 951,735 times
Oh My....there are so MANY great shots! I'm going to have trouble voting for just one!! Way to go everyone!! I just can't come up with anything for my state in January.... but I am still trying.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Quad City - Is the film old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests