Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times

Advertisements

Thought some folks might find this interesting. I know in the past the topic of cell phone cameras has come up, and it's interesting to see how they're advancing relatively quickly from extremely poor photos just a few years ago, to images that are getting closer to matching basic point-and-shoot cameras.

Below is a link to an article about the new 5MP camera and video feature on the iPhone 4 about to come out. It gets a little tech-like at times, but has some interesting info that might inform about cell cameras in general, how more pixels don't always mean better photos, etc.

I'll make the prediction that once they're able to figure out how to include a basic image stabilization feature and put a decent tiny optical zoom lens into cell phones (they've experimented but it's not ready for primetime yet), then cell cameras may one day, replace most point-and-shoot models for most people. At that point, the market will probably be mostly for specialty models (high zoom cameras) or more pro models (DSLRs), with cell cameras taking over the basic carry-around point-and-shoot category. I give it let's say, 5 years before we start to see this really happen (open for discussion).

Link to article: Sizing up the iPhone 4 for shutterbugs

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2010 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
I can't wait! I've gotta pack all my camera gear for a wedding shoot in Mexico this fall. I'd sure rather just take my cell phone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography