Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

detail enhancer is more pop and sizzle, if pushed hard it can get cartoon like..

tone compressor is very normal looking ,exposure fusion is the plainest.

both tone compressor and exposure fusion require lots of post processing to look the way i want them to..

detail enhancer looks more finished but its very compressed and needs contrast and a little sharpening afterward.
i find unless you have nice blue shies with white puffy clouds i try not to have much sky in my hdr's with detail enhancer. halos, gray stormy clouds and wierd colorations can give your photos all the worst traits detail enhancing can give you. ill try to stick to objects on those days.

detail enhancer

detail ehancer with blue skies

tone compressor

exposure fusion

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-12-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Default First HDR attempts

Hi all,

These might not be the best pics as examples. I chose it because the other images I have come out so fuzzy. I'm not sure how the detail is retained during HDR processing. I also attempted to layer mask one of the original files with the HDR image, but I couldn't get them to align right and it made it more fuzzy. Any way, I'd like your critique for what I have so far.

What I've done is opened the three exposures in DPP and did a high tone curve adjustment and saved. Then, I went into photomatrix and generated an HDR image and played with the sliders. Next, into elements and did some sharpening and adjusted light levels a bit more. What else can I do to improve? I'm really missing the mark on how to create cool HDR images.

This is with tone enhancement...
General HDR Photo Thread-firsthdr.jpg

This is with tone compression...

General HDR Photo Thread-secondhdrimage.jpg

And this guy... I can see the ghosting? or whatever that is above the trees. The highlights are in the original pics, but are more pronounced here.
General HDR Photo Thread-thirdhdrimage.jpg

Last edited by Braunwyn; 09-12-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
detail enhancer is more pop and sizzle, if pushed hard it can get cartoon like..

tone compressor is very normal looking ,exposure fusion is the plainest.

both tone compressor and exposure fusion require lots of post processing to look the way i want them to..

detail enhancer looks more finished but its very compressed and needs contrast and a little sharpening afterward.
i find unless you have nice blue shies with white puffy clouds i try not to have much sky in my hdr's with detail enhancer. halos, gray stormy clouds and wierd colorations can give your photos all the worst traits detail enhancing can give you. ill try to stick to objects on those days.
That's what I was thinking as well. The apple orchard might not have been the best choice to start with. An object might have been easier for me to focus on, but I've seen amazing field shots with HDR and I just don't get how you guys do it.

eta: and thanks for explaining the difference.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM

mathjak107, they all look great!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 AM

your #1 came out okay for a first time. no halos..

thats why when the sky is dark blue its okay to include sky. apple orchard has issues in the sky....
last one is not bad.... your on your way now to the dark side lol

Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
mathjak107, they all look great!
thats why i say dont go by how tone compressor and exposure fusion look in the photomatix software. they look overly bright and flat looking...

i bring them back into my editing software and put back contrast, saturation and sharpening.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your #1 came out okay for a first time. no halos..

thats why when the sky is dark blue its okay to include sky. apple orchard has issues in the sky....
Your pics are so crisp. How do you do that? lol

Quote:
last one is not bad.... your on your way now to the dark side lol
Yea, that last one of the boy had to be masked. He was just some random kid in front of me and he didn't stay still, so I had to remove him from two of the pics,which I did the long and tedious way of erasing. I'm sure there is a better way. And yep, on the way to the dark side. I'm sitting here playing with pics instead of cleaning my house lol.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
I think the first two look fine. The third one has halos, and what I assume is a really bad cloning job on removing something from the water. Keep practicing!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I think the first two look fine. The third one has halos, and what I assume is a really bad cloning job on removing something from the water. Keep practicing!
Yea, there were ghost images of the boy on either side of him that I stamped out. I'm finding it hard to work with it because everything looks so fuzzy that I feel like I have the wrong script on my glasses.

I will keep practicing for sure. I hope just having elements will be good enough for post-processing.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Ghost images of the boy? Did you make sure you had the checkbox turned on in Photomatix to prevent them? I've had pretty good luck with it, although I haven't used it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography