Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM

71 posts, read 243,726 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new to photography but would like to purchase a Digital SLR Camera with a price range of up to $550. any suggestions on the best for this price range

thanks in advance
msnicole83
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnicole83 View Post
Hello! I'm new to photography but would like to purchase a Digital SLR Camera with a price range of up to $550. any suggestions on the best for this price range

thanks in advance
msnicole83

Yes, a couple: consider either a Canon eos-Rebel XS, or a Nikon D3000.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS Kit

D3000 from Nikon

Both will take good decent pictures and are relatively easy to use. Personally, I prefer the build quality of the Nikon 18-55VR kit lens over that of the Canon 18-55IS kit lens, but that's just me...
I'd go to a camera store and handle and feel both for yourself...you'll get a pretty good feel for what you want then. Don't forget to check out the big discount warehouses (Sams, Costco, etc). You may find either camera for around $450-$495. Be sure it comes with a lens. (it's cheaper to buy a lens with the camera)

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 07-26-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 8,099 times
You might try to stretch the price a bit and see if you can find a Canon 40D. I've seen them around $650 with a kit lens.

It's been replaced by the newest model (50D), but at 10.1 MP and 6.5 FPS the 40D is an excellent performer. I've shot some really good wildlife images with it. It's now my backup body, but if needed, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

The build quality is definitely a step above the Rebel series. And don't let that 10.1 MP deter you - that's plenty of resolution unless you're enlarging beyond poster-size.

Charlie
Blog - The Wild in Focus
Blog - The Amazing Image

Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
I've been thinking of getting back into photography and have read some good things about the Micro 4/3 cameras. Olympus' PEN E-PL1 has great reviews and seems easy for novices to operate. The only prob is that right now lens selection is fairly small compared to the vast collection Canon & Nikon owners have at their disposal (for a price of course!)

Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 AM

42 posts, read 100,475 times
For $550, you can easily get a used Canon 40D. I have that and a 5D MkI.

40D is a great camera -- not too small and doesn't have that "plastic" feel that the rebel series have.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yes, a couple: consider either a Canon eos-Rebel XS, or a Nikon D3000.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS Kit

D3000 from Nikon

Both will take good decent pictures and are relatively easy to use. Personally, I prefer the build quality of the Nikon 18-55VR kit lens over that of the Canon 18-55IS kit lens, but that's just me...
I'd go to a camera store and handle and feel both for yourself...you'll get a pretty good feel for what you want then. Don't forget to check out the big discount warehouses (Sams, Costco, etc). You may find either camera for around $450-$495. Be sure it comes with a lens. (it's cheaper to buy a lens with the camera)

Bud
The big advantage of the Nikon is that their film camera lenses will work on digital models so the supply of lenses will be abundant and cheap.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The big advantage of the Nikon is that their film camera lenses will work on digital models so the supply of lenses will be abundant and cheap.
Well, I can use Nikon, Minolta, Leitz, Vivitar, and any old lens on Canon digital cameras. All I have to do is to replace the mount with a Canon EOS mount. The only problem with using old lenses is that focusing and aperture must be done manually.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Partial to my Nikon D80. Only 10.2mp, but does me quite well. Easy to use and a good intermediate SLR that can produce professional results with some practice.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Marilyn uses a d80. she loves it.. i think though ill give her the d300 i have and ill look into a d700. a used d80 is around 375.00 so thats a good camera if you can get one.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
What are you looking to photograph? Is this for family use (get togethers, parties, vacations, generally snapshots)? Or are you looking to get into more formal photography where you plan specific trips to locations or events with the expressed purpose to develop a gallery (online) of your images?

Given your initial budget, I'd suggest that you go to a legitimate camera store in your area (not Ritz Camera, Best Buy, hh gregg, or a big box store). A "legitimate camera store" is one that has been around for a good amount of time with staff who are actually going to talk with you about you and your budding interest in photography and give you the chance to hold and understand the body. To give you a sense of what I think of as a legitimate camera store, here are the names of a few around me here in New Jersey: Denville Camera Shop, Le Camera in Princeton.

Just keep in mind that you are going into the shop to learn about the cameras, not buy from them, unless the price is right.

Take time to try out each of the entry-level bodes for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax. Get a feel for the various bodies, especially the viewfinder. You should look at the viewfinder to figure out how intuitive the icons and graphics are. Also get a feel for how the camera feels in your hands, first with just the body, then with a wide-angle and a telephoto.

For me, the issue is whether the camera feels "right" as I'm using it because, ultimately, I'm the one who is adjusting the knobs and buttons to capture the image.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography