Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,378,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes I have been stopped from taking a picture of a courthouse while on my way back from arkansas and I also got stopped from taking a picture of the custer gravesite . I dont know how that violated anything . Some lady who was of indian decent said that they dont allow certain photographs because some of the tribes descendants dont like the pictures robbing their soul. I thanked her for the info and left . yeah I think I must have been photographing a federal courthouse come to think of it .I have also heard you cannot take pictures of federal prisons either .
I've heard of this type of tribal view on photos and soul. But if I found myself alone at such a website I would probably point and click as my own photo theory includes a respect for souls. If you believe that spirits are going to be disturbed by photographs, I personally feel those spirits might actually need a medium and some transition counseling.

Oh, I have been stopped once. And I photograph a lot. The one time (so far) was when I was taking some photos of some masks hanging outside a store in New Orleans. The shopkeeper was a bit irate. I had spent the morning asking permission from several very nice galleries to shoot in their store and got an extremely friendly green light each time but this shopkeeper chastised me like I was a child stealing candy. Apparently the artists showcasing their work can be "tempermental." Alas, I did get permission after being chastised and then asking kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
In Galveston I was walking through the historic part of town and taking pics of the old structures. Some lady came out of her house spitting mad that I took a photo of her house. I pretended I was deaf and walked on.

Airports are very ancy it seems. I've been outside their property lines and have had airport police question me. I've actually had to get rather assertive with them. It seems they hope you don't know your rights so they can trample them.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
If it is illegal to photograph private homes, Google is in some heap of legal trouble for their Street View photographs.
Really? I have an ultrazoom so I can be pretty far away from them to get a photo. I only do it if they are spectacular looking, unusual looking or the property is so pretty (usually in the Fall). I never say where I took the photo and nine times out of 10, I don't even know what street I'm on. I'm usually on my way to a state park or a wildlife refuge and a home/barn/church (usually in a rural area) catches my eye so I pull over and snap it from my driver's side window. The other day I was thinking besides overhead wires my biggest problem is drainage ditches near to and parallel to the road making it difficult to pull over in most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography