Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM

8,946 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Well, all I can say Greg is.......WOW and WOW again!! You really, really improved that photo. I AM, without a doubt, EXREMEMLY impressed!! Wait 'til I show my wife! Guess with the camera I have I'd have to do more enhancing/editing than I would with a newer camera.
Now that you made a stunning photo of my moose cow, how about that Bull Elk......what can be done with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The camera I use is ok, but certainly not the best I could have. My photo enhancing/eding software is ok, but (again) certainly not the best! My knowledge of digital photography is ok or should I say...........well, let's just not go there!
You've left out the most important part - the photographer, the eye for a good image. All the gear and software won't mean anything without it.

Regarding the moose photo, Greg has already provided some good pointers. His point on patience and practice is spot on. Wildlife photographers (at least the ones I know) are known for their tenacity - they get up and stay up at all hours of the day and night, spend hours following animals around to get the best light, the best background, the best composition. For any subject, look at other images by other photographers that grab your attention -- study them to figure out what the photographer did that makes them stand out.

For each great image you see, what you don't see are the dozens that were discarded, just to get to that single shot that was just right.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, all I can say Greg is.......WOW and WOW again!! You really, really improved that photo.
No, actually he didn't really improve it much if any. It just looks different. It's more contrasty now which looks punchier. However, he lost the detail in the shadows. Look at the huge shadowed area under the mooses chin in his shot and yours. In your shot, you can still see each individual hair of fur. In Greg's edit, that's just a black blob now. That's not a dig on Greg, BTW. I think he made a nice demonstration. But nobody can really improve a JPG image posted on the internet to any great degree. One would really need the original image, preferably a RAW image.

You came here looking for information, so I hope you don't mind me being blunt. You obviously know very little about photography and it shows. You have a cheap consumer camera, you have developed no skills or eye for composition, nor do you have any processing skills to mention. Evidently, you don't even know how to properly assess a photograph. So why on earth would anyone buy one of your photos?

My advice is to stop asking your friends and family for opinions on your photos; they will never give you honest critiques, nor are they likely qualified to do so. And quit wasting time trying to sell your awful photos. If you are truly interested in photography, then learn the art! Read books and websites. Get good equipment and software and learn how to use it. Take zillions of pictures and post them here and on other photography sites and get real feedback from other photographers. It's a long road to becoming a GOOD photographer, assuming you're actually interested in doing so. If you ever get there, people will seek out your work. But for goodness sake, quit trying to sell crap.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

You came here looking for information, so I hope you don't mind me being blunt.
ouch! there's being blunt and then there's being really rude. Are you just having a bad day Kdog??? Everyone has to start somewhere and needs guidance of how to go about learning the art of photography...

Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ouch! there's being blunt and then there's being really rude. Are you just having a bad day Kdog??? Everyone has to start somewhere and needs guidance of how to go about learning the art of photography...
Ah, but they didn't ask about learning the art of photography. The question was how to sell photos. Therein lies the problem.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ah, but they didn't ask about learning the art of photography. The question was how to sell photos. Therein lies the problem.
well ummm some just put the cart WAAAaayyy before the horse...an need to hear the process of how it works that's all....thanks for not snarfing at me!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well ummm some just put the cart WAAAaayyy before the horse...an need to hear the process of how it works that's all....
Yes, and I explained that to them in easy to understand terms, did i not? Honestly, blunt feedback is the best kind. If you think MY feedback was blunt, you ought to read critiques in real photography forums. I still get PLENTY of pretty harsh feedback on my own work. Really, it's the best way to learn, instead of sugar coating everything. And we do want to learn, right?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM

106,666 posts, read 108,810,853 times
hope you dont mind either, but to be honest there is not much in those photos i would want to buy them for.

there nothing out of the ordinary as far as the look or composition....its rare ordinary photos will sell on sites like those.
boy are we a tough crowd. but you know what thats the best way to keep trying harder and learning more . we all been there and from time to time we are all still there getting torn apart.

just the other day i posted some zoo photos. thought i covered all the bases in editing. FUZZ noticed i still had a bit more room and pushed the black and white points out on my photo even further filling every gap. the colors popped out even nicer.... we all try to help each other as each of sees something different the origional poster may have missed or overlooked.

thanks to fuzz's comments i am now going to be alot more concious of setting my black and white points manually as i just got out of the habbit of doing it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-19-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Where can you sell your photos, any places that do it for free (to host my portfolio?)

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM

106,666 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the better sites you pay for as you need to store the photos in a pretty high resolution. we have a smugmug pro account and sell quite a few . BUT ,we target specific groups. such as we will shoot a car show and give out cards directing them to our site, we will shoot businesses and let the owners see what we did. its not that anyone finds our site and stops in and buys photos.. the photos have to be sold or promoted by us..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography