Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,193 times

Advertisements

Oh my! The depth of talent on this thread is overwhelming! Thank you all for sharing such incredible photography.

Can I ask if in the humming bird photos you use a strobe to catch them stopped in midflight? Or just a very fast shutterspeed? I am just getting started trying to take bird photos, so inquiring minds - well - at least agreatlife - want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM

180 posts, read 700,720 times
Here's a hummingbird on the University of Pennsylvania campus:

agreatlife--funny you should ask about hummer photos as I was just ready to post one... This was shot in program mode, 1/160 sec, no flash. I guess I was about 20 feet away from her. I was lucky to capture her hovering near the flower so that her body was in focus, while still keeping the wings as an attractive blur. Hummingbirds are so elusive and so fast that I have to take what I can get (and this is the ONLY hummer shot I've ever taken this close). Next time, I may try to shoot manual or shutter priority for 1/2000 or 1/4000 sec, which is my camera's fastest shutter speed, and take note of the results if I'm on a hummer hunt.

I didn't set out to photograph a hummingbird specifically--she just appeared in my viewfinder, so I took the shot!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,572,536 times
Default Missouri

I am a very amateur photographer. However love to take photos of the birds around our home. I will be learning to improve in the very near future. Here are a few of the birds around our yard today:Pileated woodpecker at a feeder:...hummer at feeder:...
chipping sparrow:.. Can't wait to capture the Orioles, Cardinals, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Towhees and others. I am aware that I have much to learn and enjoy reading this thread and all of the pictures.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post

awesome bird pictures, and as a Dale Earnhardt fan for over 18 years, awesome shirt!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
A month ago a friend asked for eggs to stick under her broody hen. I don't have a rooster but I do have some very "busy" ducks. They hatched yesterday. There are six. Five are runners and one, with the striped eye, is a mallard/runner cross.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
[quote=Swampy101;3732066]First, there are a lot of birds that hover in one place. Lots of raptors do, but two come to mind right away, the White-tailed Kite and the Osprey. Another noticable one that does it is the Say's Phoebe. They just keep popping up in my head now. Loggerhead Shrikes will hover, Belted Kingfishers.....

Some will hover for only a second before diving on their prey, others will hover for 5-10 seconds even. Western Bluebirds generall perch, see what they want, fly over and could hover for a second to take aim before diving. Osprey's will think they see something (fish) and stop in mid-air and hover for 2-10 seconds.

Tree Swallows are great. They are cavity nesters and will use bird houses. They will also chase Barn and Cliff Swallows away, so we always put out plenty of bird houses for the Tree Swallows. We currently have 5 nesting pairs in our yard and get along with everything except Hawks and Barn/Cliff Swallows.

Here's a few images I took last summer that I hope to improve on this year.

I'm sorry Swampy but they wouldn't let me rep you again. These photos are great.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM

180 posts, read 1,187,274 times
Thanks Laura, maybe you can rep this post?

I guess I should also say that Agreatlife pm'd me to ask some other questions along with the shutter speed question above and I answered there.

Here's my answer on the shutter speed for the hummingbird shot in post #30 above:

That was shot with:

Canon 1Ds Mark II (16 megapixel digital SLR)
Canon 600mm f4 IS lens
Canon 1.4x teleconverter (to make the 600 an 840mm f5.6 lens)

Aperture was f6.3, shutter speed was 1/8000th and ISO setting was at 1600.

Even at 1/8000th shutter speed, you're hard pressed to stop the wings completely. About the only way to make it look like they're stopped is to get them as their wings are full forward or full back. The only other way is to shoot in lower light with a fast flash.

Last edited by Swampy101; 05-15-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 PM

33,530 posts, read 37,130,597 times
It's good to have your ducks in a row...

Two Mallards and a Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/pugbug/Birds/Merganser.jpg (broken link)

Scaup.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,016 times
Laura C -
Those birds are Northern Cliff Swallows.

You can listen to them on this site:
All About Birds: Cliff Swallow

Love all the bird pictures.

Last edited by Carbondated; 05-15-2008 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's good to have your ducks in a row...

Two Mallards and a Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/pugbug/Birds/Merganser.jpg (broken link)
Wow! What gorgeous pictures. I've never been fortunate enough to get a picture of a merganser. I think they are fantastic. We have many mallards on our pond, and last year I was lucky enough to have a wood duck join them, without any issues between them (always surprises me that ducks get along with other species). I love the wood ducks for that helmet looking back feather and brilliant reds.

The mergansers are awesome. I cannot rep you today, so this will have to do, along with my thanks to Swampy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography