Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times

Advertisements

danameless, thanks for the recommendations!

Not sure if it's allowed on this site (if not, I'd love a PM), but could you recommend a good place that sells used camera equipment? The 50mm 1.4G seems to be exactly what I am looking for (manually focusing with a 1 year old would drive me crazy, though I did just that before I played around with AF), but I don't have a problem buying used if the place is reputable.

Again, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
You might try Adorama, or B&H Photo for online sales. Both are very reputable companies. Just type in "Nikon 50mm" in the search box and there will be a bunch of choices. They both carry "gray market" lenses that are cheaper, which are nothing more than lenses that are imported from someplace other than directly from the manufacturer as far as I understand it. Still the same warranty, but not able to get factory rebates. Adorama also sells used equipment and I've found their ratings of the equipment to be VERY accurate and well described.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Thank you very much, I'll keep an eye out (or instruct my husband to, since this would be a Mother's Day/birthday gift haha)!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Both Adorama and B&H are reputable sites that sell used equipment, but just have to get lucky because they might not have that specific model in stock. You can also check some photography forums too as they have For Sale sections where other photographers are always selling their gear. Since many pros and serious amateurs post on these sites, it's relatively safe and can get some decent deals.

In reference to Bydand, although grey market items are essentially the same product, make sure you double check on the warranty information. My understanding of a grey market is that you only receive the basic warranty (1 year), and not the extended warranty (5 years), although I could be mistaken.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
5 Best Camera Lenses for Bokeh Photography
October 26, 2016

From: https://www.adorama.com/alc/5-best-c...eh-photography

Quote:
The presence of soft, creamy bokeh, which contrasts beautifully with the sharpness of the subject in the foreground, instantly makes any photo all the more captivating. Bokeh refers to the quality of the blur in the parts of a photo (usually the background) that are out of focus.

To achieve bokeh in a photo, you’ll need an extremely fast camera lens with a wide aperture—at least f/1.8 or larger. Therefore, if you’ve been trying to get those dreamy, out-of-focus orbs to materialize in your photos, you’ll definitely need to invest in a good lens.
Here are the five best lenses for bokeh photography:
1. Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens
2. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens
3. Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens
4. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II Nikkor ED-IF Lens
5. Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 Apo Planar ZF.2 Series Lens
They have descriptions in the article. They are not inexpensive lens's (in my opinion)...

Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
5 Best Camera Lenses for Bokeh Photography
October 26, 2016

From: https://www.adorama.com/alc/5-best-c...eh-photography

Here are the five best lenses for bokeh photography:
1. Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART Lens
2. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens
3. Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens
4. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II Nikkor ED-IF Lens
5. Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 Apo Planar ZF.2 Series Lens
They have descriptions in the article. They are not inexpensive lens's (in my opinion)...

Poncho, add the Canon 135 f/2 L to that list. At under $1,000 new, it's not expensive considering how good it is, plus its legendary bokeh qualities. This lens with a FF camera, even a mirrorless Sony, is second to none.
https://duytom.com/en/review/48-review-135-f2

http://www.journeyoflight.com/blog/a...m-of-pure-joy/

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-10-2019 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 PM

29 posts, read 46,654 times
EZ Bokeh:
Good telephoto long lens.
set focal pt to center.
come in close to object while zoomed in.
shoot.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Both Adorama and B&H are reputable sites that sell used equipment, but just have to get lucky because they might not have that specific model in stock. You can also check some photography forums too as they have For Sale sections where other photographers are always selling their gear. Since many pros and serious amateurs post on these sites, it's relatively safe and can get some decent deals.

In reference to Bydand, although grey market items are essentially the same product, make sure you double check on the warranty information. My understanding of a grey market is that you only receive the basic warranty (1 year), and not the extended warranty (5 years), although I could be mistaken.
You are quite right about B&H and Adorama. I usually buy lenses from B&H since I have done so for many years already, and they ship quite fast. I could order from Amazon, but it seems that this company takes too long to process the order and email you a shipping notice. I was going to buy a Canon 135mm f/2L from Amazon, but changed my mind and ordered from B&H on the 12th this month. The lens was just delivered to my house in Alaska a couple of hours ago. Yes, I had to pay $21.00 for shipment, but this added cost was worth it because I didn't have to wait very long. Ordering from Amazon would have been free shipping, but in Alaska I would have had to wait several days for the shipping notice, and then about 4 more days for delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography