U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 AM

880 posts, read 1,666,550 times

Advertisements

Outstanding shots Kdog!
We had hoped to get shots of the humpbacks bubble net feeding, as a group of about 14 adult whales had been doing so in the area where we were for the last 10 days but today they were not in the mood for cooperative feeding.
Still I was quite happy with the close encounter, we had cut the engines and were drifting when the whales decided to come and investigate us. Since it is illegal here for boats to approach closer than 100 yards from the whales, encounters that close are rare, making it quite an honor to be chosen by the whales for a close up visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM

5,824 posts, read 7,844,755 times
Great photos, Redhawk and Kdog! Redhawk, you could have used the momma bear and cub photo for the 3-of-a-kind assignment (assuming they were shot AFTER the assignment was posted, of course).

Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 AM

82 posts, read 140,615 times
Redhawk, those are sweet.....if that's out the back door can't wait to see what's out the front door? Was this on vacation or is this taken from your house? I'm hoping to save some money and take the family to either Washington or Juno to do some whale watching. I am seriously so jealous of all you guys/gals.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Location: Former Michigander living in Durham, NC (SW Durham)
675 posts, read 1,674,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Next time ask your whale to do this.

Kdog, these are awesome, awesome shots! I tried to rep you but have to spread a few more around first.

I am jealous of your close proximity to the whale AND your awesome photography!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoggal View Post
great photos, redhawk and kdog! Redhawk, you could have used the momma bear and cub photo for the 3-of-a-kind assignment (assuming they were shot after the assignment was posted, of course).
I posted them there as well

Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod11 View Post
Redhawk, those are sweet.....if that's out the back door can't wait to see what's out the front door? Was this on vacation or is this taken from your house? I'm hoping to save some money and take the family to either Washington or Juno to do some whale watching. I am seriously so jealous of all you guys/gals.
They are all taken here around Juneau, the whales out between Shelter and Lincoln Islands, and the bears at Steep Creek by Mendenhall Glacier which is just down the road from my house.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM

4,163 posts, read 6,293,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Outstanding shots Kdog!
We had hoped to get shots of the humpbacks bubble net feeding, as a group of about 14 adult whales had been doing so in the area where we were for the last 10 days but today they were not in the mood for cooperative feeding.
Still I was quite happy with the close encounter, we had cut the engines and were drifting when the whales decided to come and investigate us. Since it is illegal here for boats to approach closer than 100 yards from the whales, encounters that close are rare, making it quite an honor to be chosen by the whales for a close up visit.
Indeed an honour...how fortunate for you!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 PM

46 posts, read 190,559 times
The barn swallow pics are wonderful, what color and clarity. Great job!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Love this shot!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
These are wild foxes in Colorado.

Does he look sly to you?

Tough Guys
These are awesome photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography