U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,937 posts, read 13,872,228 times
Reputation: 8486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
OMG! How cute! If I lived there I would have to bring them home!
They would probably follow me too!
Thanks, PG and Blondie. I did some more reading about the Wild Burros out here. Even though they are fully wild, apparently they can be adopted quite easily and take well to being fed and groomed and make good pets.

The history of these burros is that their ancestors were imported to the area by miners and abandoned when the miners left or passed away. There's a little old mining town nearby on Rt66, now a tourist trap, called Oatman. The burros come down out of the hills every day and bum carrots off the tourists there. They are quite resourceful.

Actually the local authorities claim the burros are getting overfed there and have asked tourists to stop feeding them. And now the burros are starting to get aggressive!

Where's my carrot?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
617 posts, read 1,210,541 times
Reputation: 709
Wildlife, but not really. This was at a Wildlife Refuge:

I darkend it a little to try to hide the cage. I tihnk it looks pretty good.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 3,472,277 times
Reputation: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The history of these burros is that their ancestors were imported to the area by miners and abandoned when the miners left or passed away. There's a little old mining town nearby on Rt66, now a tourist trap, called Oatman. The burros come down out of the hills every day and bum carrots off the tourists there. They are quite resourceful.

Actually the local authorities claim the burros are getting overfed there and have asked tourists to stop feeding them. And now the burros are starting to get aggressive!

Where's my carrot?
Oatman is just in the news today - what a coincidence - Carrot-toting tourists making Arizona burros fat - US and Canada- msnbc.com

Nice shots as always, kdog!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,795,835 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Hntr, can't rep you but your collared lizard shots were wonderful, and he was oh so colorful!

Grannymontanny, what great photos you captured at Glacier National Park! Always wanted to go there but likely won't ever make it.

Thanks PhotogGal!! I think he liked his picture taken, he let take enough of them!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,795,835 times
Reputation: 850
Nice shots Kdog, Bydand and Hankejp!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
 
854 posts, read 1,889,375 times
Reputation: 1036
While out on a drive this morning I came across this doe and her two little ones strolling along beside the road .

Mama and the youngsters


one of the little guys

and a short while later this coyote in a field
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,795,835 times
Reputation: 850
Nice shots Redhawk, do you know if they are whitetails or blacktail deer?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
 
854 posts, read 1,889,375 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
Nice shots Redhawk, do you know if they are whitetails or blacktail deer?
Thanks, I believe they are Mule Deer as they don’t have the white eye rings of the white tail. You did a great job on the Longhorn and Bison shots

Last edited by Redhawk; 08-31-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,937 posts, read 13,872,228 times
Reputation: 8486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Oatman is just in the news today - what a coincidence - Carrot-toting tourists making Arizona burros fat - US and Canada- msnbc.com

Nice shots as always, kdog!
Wow, did you see the picture in that article? I was wondering why they posted a picture of a cow, until I realized it was a fat burro!

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 3,472,277 times
Reputation: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wow, did you see the picture in that article? I was wondering why they posted a picture of a cow, until I realized it was a fat burro!

Thanks.
He was just heading inside for a chili dog.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top