Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,911,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Note: It's currently on sale at Costco for $1,799.00 with the 18-200 lens included. Perhaps not the top lens, but still good for that price.
Yes, a good price and a good entry into DSLR photography. I have the 18-200 and its a very nice walkaround lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I'm looking into buying a Nikon D7000, Any opinions about this camera? Is there anything I should be looking into besides the D7000?

Also what is a good lens, and works for low light and day time shooting?

Thanks AM
I have a D7000 purchased in April. I only use it outdoors and that's only because I only do outdoor photography, not because of anything to do with the camera. I have two Nikon lenses for it, so far. The 18 - 55mm kit lens that came with my D3100 and a 55mm - 300mm zoom lens I purchased and frankly, I never take the 55mm - 300mm lens off the camera. Both lenses have autofocusing and image stabilization. I carry my Panasonic FZ100 ultrazoom with me, for what the D7000 with the 55 - 300mm won't cover and as a back-up camera.

I wanted the D7000 for auto bracketing for HDR. All of my photos are taken, hand-held. I refuse to lug a tripod plus I take a lot of bird photos and some scenery photos from my car. The Nikon D3100 didn't have that auto bracketing feature otherwise I would have stuck with that camera as I was pleased with it. Even my ultrazoom Panasonic (and its predecessor) has auto bracketing.

I've used the D7000 for a soccer game, a running marathon, scenery and mostly birds. I never take posed people photos so I don't use it (or any other camera I own) for that. I took it with me on my last vacation and took photos of surfers, surf casting fishermen, metal detector people from the balcony in my motel room as well as for scenic photos and sunrise/sunset photos. I took some bird photos at wildlife refuges with it including birds in flight. On the first day I used the camera, I took a local photo (birds) that went on to win first place in my camera club with a theme "depth of focus." I've used it on both Raw and JPG Fine settings.

I use my Panasonic ultrazoom for macro, buildings and anyplace where I feel I don't want to lug the D7000 camera bag around all day or I think the lens might suffer (like on the beach when the wind is blowing).

If I have any complaints it has more to do with the auto focus lens sometimes taking too long to focus. With birds, you don't have time to futz around with the camera. I just put it down and pick up the ultrazoom.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM

570 posts, read 1,579,574 times
Will the Nikon Vibration Reduction lens work with the Nikon D1X? I have had a D1X every sense they first came out. But it looks like the D7000 does more than my D1X does and allot less money.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,848,390 times
VR works on every camera Nikon has made since 1998, including every DSLR, except the N55 and N60

Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM

106,242 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have a D7000 purchased in April. I only use it outdoors and that's only because I only do outdoor photography, not because of anything to do with the camera. I have two Nikon lenses for it, so far. The 18 - 55mm kit lens that came with my D3100 and a 55mm - 300mm zoom lens I purchased and frankly, I never take the 55mm - 300mm lens off the camera. Both lenses have autofocusing and image stabilization. I carry my Panasonic FZ100 ultrazoom with me, for what the D7000 with the 55 - 300mm won't cover and as a back-up camera.

I wanted the D7000 for auto bracketing for HDR. All of my photos are taken, hand-held. I refuse to lug a tripod plus I take a lot of bird photos and some scenery photos from my car. The Nikon D3100 didn't have that auto bracketing feature otherwise I would have stuck with that camera as I was pleased with it. Even my ultrazoom Panasonic (and its predecessor) has auto bracketing.

I've used the D7000 for a soccer game, a running marathon, scenery and mostly birds. I never take posed people photos so I don't use it (or any other camera I own) for that. I took it with me on my last vacation and took photos of surfers, surf casting fishermen, metal detector people from the balcony in my motel room as well as for scenic photos and sunrise/sunset photos. I took some bird photos at wildlife refuges with it including birds in flight. On the first day I used the camera, I took a local photo (birds) that went on to win first place in my camera club with a theme "depth of focus." I've used it on both Raw and JPG Fine settings.

I use my Panasonic ultrazoom for macro, buildings and anyplace where I feel I don't want to lug the D7000 camera bag around all day or I think the lens might suffer (like on the beach when the wind is blowing).

If I have any complaints it has more to do with the auto focus lens sometimes taking too long to focus. With birds, you don't have time to futz around with the camera. I just put it down and pick up the ultrazoom.
heres some info on the autofocus system from our good friend ken rockwell

Nikon D7000 Autofocus Settings

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,628,090 times
Quote:
Will the Nikon Vibration Reduction lens work with the Nikon D1X? I have had a D1X every sense they first came out. But it looks like the D7000 does more than my D1X does and allot less money.
The D1X is 10 year old technology in a field which has been advancing at a geometric
rate, so it is hardly surprising that a much less expensive camera today can do far more than the D1X can.

The equivalent of the D1X today is perhaps the D3X, or the soon to be announced D4 series. What the new D4 will bring is hard to say right now, though on some photography forums there are people having drooling fits of hysteria speculating! But there is little doubt that it will be 1) expensive and 2) the most technically advanced DSLR available on the day it arrives.

Pretty much that means you'll have the option of "good enough" with the D7000, or the best there is with the D4 if the cost is worth the advanced technology in your particular circumstance. (I certainly would not want to abuse anyone for taking either path.)

The only part of the current Nikon rumors that seem to be even close to reliable is that the announcement of new models from Nikon will be made in the last week of August and that the D4 will probably (as were the D3 and D3s models) be available on the last Friday in November.

If your old D1X needs to be replaced, and a D7000 fits the budget and you other needs, there is not really any reason to hesitate. Go for it!

If you want to stick with the professional build and technology that characterized the D1X, it makes sense to hold off right now on any decision. There is little doubt that a D4 series is about to be announced. But the question for a buyer would be whether to jump on the new model or wait a little longer and pick up a (very likely to be heavily discounted) older D3 series body, either new or used.

And for someone looking seriously at a D4 series camera, it's still going to be a tough decision that will very much depend on exactly what Nikon comes out with. For example, it might be a D4X... or a D4 now and a D4X later. Historically, with the D1, D2 and D3 series there have been such variations to meets the specific needs of specialized requirements.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks to all of you for all the good information.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM

D7000 question?

I just got my Nikon D7000 about a week ago, It was mail order so I can't go into a camera store and ask a question.

When I take a picture the mirror comes up but seems to hesitate before the shutter fires and takes the pictures. It sounds like a one or two second shutter speed. But I know the shutter speed is right because the pictures come out good. So I can't make a quick on the fly picture because it's gone before the shutter goes off. Am I missing something in the D7000 set up, I have been all through the book and camera menu and don't see anything on this. All of you that have the D7000 is this normal or and I missing something

Thank you

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

106,242 posts, read 108,237,907 times
we need all the info from that pictire. iso,shutter speed, aperture and check to make sure you dont have the timer on.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,321,517 times
Quote:
D7000 question?

I just got my Nikon D7000 about a week ago, It was mail order so I can't go into a camera store and ask a question.

When I take a picture the mirror comes up but seems to hesitate before the shutter fires and takes the pictures. It sounds like a one or two second shutter speed. But I know the shutter speed is right because the pictures come out good. So I can't make a quick on the fly picture because it's gone before the shutter goes off. Am I missing something in the D7000 set up, I have been all through the book and camera menu and don't see anything on this. All of you that have the D7000 is this normal or and I missing something

Thank you
Maybe the mirror lockup is enabled? Not sure how that functions on the D7000, but you might look at that feature in the manual and see if it is enabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography