Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times

Advertisements

After days and weeks of looking at various point and shoot and bridge-type cameras, reading countless reviews, going to various stores and handling them in person and reading more reviews, I decided that none of the cameras I'd been considering were going to make me happy, so today I went out and got myself a new DSLR.

I've always pretty much been a Canon shooter, but this time I settled on a Nikon D5100 that came with two VR kit lenses. From all I've been reading in past threads here, I understand that I should invest in some better glass, but first I need to figure out all the settings and features.

I'd better dive right in as I'm expected to take photos at a wedding on 10/29 and am leaving on vacation 10/31 and would like to feel confident enough to use it for both.

Feel free to offer me any suggestions you might have on lenses, filters, etc. Otherwise, I'll just continue searching through pages of past threads to see what y'all have said to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Oooohhh no...you went to the 'dark' side. Congratulations, though...how exciting. I'm a Canon lass myself, so I'm no help for you aside from offering the congrats. Enjoy the cookies...I hear they're better over there.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
After days and weeks of looking at various point and shoot and bridge-type cameras, reading countless reviews, going to various stores and handling them in person and reading more reviews, I decided that none of the cameras I'd been considering were going to make me happy, so today I went out and got myself a new DSLR.

I've always pretty much been a Canon shooter, but this time I settled on a Nikon D5100 that came with two VR kit lenses. From all I've been reading in past threads here, I understand that I should invest in some better glass, but first I need to figure out all the settings and features.

I'd better dive right in as I'm expected to take photos at a wedding on 10/29 and am leaving on vacation 10/31 and would like to feel confident enough to use it for both.

Feel free to offer me any suggestions you might have on lenses, filters, etc. Otherwise, I'll just continue searching through pages of past threads to see what y'all have said to others.
Everyone with experience will tell you the same thing about wedding photography: DON'T.

The problem is that a wedding is both important and emotional, which means anything not exactly as desired is a horrible mistake. It takes both a huge amount of skill as a photographer, but also at handling emotionally charged people.

As for the camera, you'll love it. You didn't mention exactly which two lenses you have, so it's hard to comment on that. Also it very much depends on what range of photography you want to do. With your first (?) DSLR though, it will probably be some time before you'll know exactly what other/better lenses would be most useful.

The only filter that is of much use for a digital camera is a Polarizing filter. Under some circumstances you might also want a UV filter to protect the lens' front element from sand and salt on a beach as one example, and possibly a Neutral Density for Graduated Neutral Density filter for some kinds of work.

My guess is that a new DSLR with two lenses will be enough to keep you happily engaged for quite some time! Have fun!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Floyd, I know what you mean about wedding photography! I did one very modestly paid wedding (since I wasn't a pro) for cash once and swore never again! This time it's for a personal family friend who is having a very low budget affair and not hiring a pro. She is just hoping for some great pics from me and whoever else might be taking photos. It's just that she likes my work and asked if I'd take some pics. No pressure this time, except that I'm putting on myself.

FYI, this is not my first DSLR. I have a Canon D10 sitting in the closet. But I'm new to Nikon, so there's a learning curve involved, not to mention the fact that there are a lot more bells and whistles on cameras nowadays, including the ability to shoot HD videos. I'm excited to start experimenting!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Oh NOOOOO!!! Traitor!! ! You may need an external flash for that baby if you intend to use the flash at all. The built in flash does not reach very far. I handled a friend's D300 and I was fumbling with the controls, and that was before I bought the T1i. Just not as intuitive for me, but congratulations on finally taking the plunge. Pray tell which lenses you got! So excited for you...once you get used to shooting with a particular lens, you'll never want to go back. And you don't have a problem with composition to begin with, so just familiarize yourself with the controls. You already have the theory correct so just play with the new baby, and don't forget to carry the manual in the bag all the time.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Congratulations PhotoGal!!!! All of the the D5100 kit's I have seen, have come with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm Nikon VR lenses. I have been told that they are very good lenses for a kit. I'm not sure, but they are also the lenses that come with the D3100 kit I'm considering buying.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Congratulations PhotoGal!!!! All of the the D5100 kit's I have seen, have come with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm Nikon VR lenses. I have been told that they are very good lenses for a kit. I'm not sure, but they are also the lenses that come with the D3100 kit I'm considering buying.
Thanks! Yes, those are the kit lenses I got with the D5100, and they will suffice while I adjust to the new camera. Will definitely buy an extra battery and a flash for the hotshoe then go from there.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, those are the kit lenses I got with the D5100, and they will suffice while I adjust to the new camera. Will definitely buy an extra battery and a flash for the hotshoe then go from there.
Sounds like a good plan. Those are the accessories I plan on getting at first, along with the 3 filters package.(polarizing,UV and the neutral as Floyd suggested) Once again Congrats!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Floyd, I know what you mean about wedding photography! I did one very modestly paid wedding (since I wasn't a pro) for cash once and swore never again! This time it's for a personal family friend who is having a very low budget affair and not hiring a pro. She is just hoping for some great pics from me and whoever else might be taking photos. It's just that she likes my work and asked if I'd take some pics. No pressure this time, except that I'm putting on myself.

FYI, this is not my first DSLR. I have a Canon D10 sitting in the closet. But I'm new to Nikon, so there's a learning curve involved, not to mention the fact that there are a lot more bells and whistles on cameras nowadays, including the ability to shoot HD videos. I'm excited to start experimenting!
I think you will do just fine with photography. Having seen your pictures over couple of years, I can say that you've got the eye for details, the kind I often miss. Just to be safe, take those pictures in RAW mode so (or RAW+JPG mode if available).

For filters, I would for a CPL and a UV or clear (Clear filter is the only one I've been using on my primary lenses). Recently got a Marumi Super DHG CPL for my fast telephoto and my travel lens (Sigma 18-250) as they both share 72mm thread, I can say that it is a high quality filter without B+W prices. The Super DHG also claims to be water and oil resistant, and has velvet coating around the glass to minimize any reflection.

Congratulations on the purchase. I think it was an excellent decision to go DSLR instead of another compact super zoom.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
FYI, this is not my first DSLR. I have a Canon D10 sitting in the closet.
Isn't the D10 a point & shoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography