Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 03:17 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

Well, I currently own an Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT) which is almost 6 yrs old. Has given me excellent service but I thought it's time to upgrade to a newer model. The DSLR coupled with my Sigma 18-200 lens shoots absolutely amazing pics and as far as picture quality I am more than happy.

However, while traveling carrying this camera around is a huge burden just due to it's size, especially with the zoom lens.

I am looking at the T3i and it looks amazing but I'm also thinking of giving up the whole DSLR idea and going in for the Powershot S95 which allows significant manual control as well.

The weakness in a Point and shoot I feel is the lens and controllability of the lens especially the slow zoom. When shooting wildlife in the Galapagos islands the ability of instantly going form 0 zoom to full zoom on my DSLR with just a twist of the wrist enabled me to capture some great zoom shots fast enough before the scene was gone.

In this age when Point and shoots are advancing so rapidly does it make sense to still get and cart around a huge DSLR for the casual non-pro photographer? What are the key disadvantages of a point and shoot?

The bottom line, if I get the S95 what am I going to miss? I can slip the S95 into my pocket but need to carry a shoulder bag to cart around a DSLR. The DSLR also attracts a lot more attention in some locales where I prefer to maintain a lower profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:45 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
I shoot with a DSLR (or two) and own a Canon S90 to put in my pocket when I don't want to carry a big camera bag. Or sometimes I carry the S90 as a backup for shooting wide-angle shots when I have a long lens on my DSLR for example. The two camera styles compliment each other well. However for me, a P&S will never replace a DSLR. If I ever get to the Galapagos for example, I wouldn't think of going with just a P&S. After traveling all that way, I'd want to take the best pictures I can and that means bringing the big camera and lenses.

Things you'll miss with a P&S are the creative possibilities that interchangeable lenses give you. But just as important, or maybe ever more so is that you'll miss the speed and responsiveness of the DSLR. P&S cameras are slow, with a long shutter lag. That makes it very difficult to capture action. P&S cameras also have tiny sensors with a lot more noise than your DSLR and you'll especially see that in low-light conditions.

You might want to look at some of the newer 4:3 small interchangeable lens cameras like the Nikon 1 for example. That may combine the best of both worlds for you.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I shoot with a DSLR (or two) and own a Canon S90 to put in my pocket when I don't want to carry a big camera bag. Or sometimes I carry the S90 as a backup for shooting wide-angle shots when I have a long lens on my DSLR for example. The two camera styles compliment each other well. However for me, a P&S will never replace a DSLR. If I ever get to the Galapagos for example, I wouldn't think of going with just a P&S. After traveling all that way, I'd want to take the best pictures I can and that means bringing the big camera and lenses.

Things you'll miss with a P&S are the creative possibilities that interchangeable lenses give you. But just as important, or maybe ever more so is that you'll miss the speed and responsiveness of the DSLR. P&S cameras are slow, with a long shutter lag. That makes it very difficult to capture action. P&S cameras also have tiny sensors with a lot more noise than your DSLR and you'll especially see that in low-light conditions.

You might want to look at some of the newer 4:3 small interchangeable lens cameras like the Nikon 1 for example. That may combine the best of both worlds for you.
Pretty much sums it up.

I did find after getting a DSLR that there were VERY rare occasions that I missed my P&S (I had given it to a family member). So I went out and bought an S90 to have for those moments.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
yeah, I think I would miss a DSLR a lot too if I just had an S95...I'm looking at upgrading to a T3i

Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
POS cameras are probably going the way of the VCR soon. Phone cameras are becoming so good that the POS will simply not have a market. Who wants to carry an extra piece of equipment for basic photographs? My smartphone has a decent camera built in and takes good 1080P video!

If you are buying a stand alone camera for good image quality and maximum flexibility, I recommend a DSLR. I have a Nikon DSLR and I've been very happy with it.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Well, I currently own an Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT) which is almost 6 yrs old. Has given me excellent service but I thought it's time to upgrade to a newer model. The DSLR coupled with my Sigma 18-200 lens shoots absolutely amazing pics and as far as picture quality I am more than happy.

However, while traveling carrying this camera around is a huge burden just due to it's size, especially with the zoom lens.

I am looking at the T3i and it looks amazing but I'm also thinking of giving up the whole DSLR idea and going in for the Powershot S95 which allows significant manual control as well.

The weakness in a Point and shoot I feel is the lens and controllability of the lens especially the slow zoom. When shooting wildlife in the Galapagos islands the ability of instantly going form 0 zoom to full zoom on my DSLR with just a twist of the wrist enabled me to capture some great zoom shots fast enough before the scene was gone.

In this age when Point and shoots are advancing so rapidly does it make sense to still get and cart around a huge DSLR for the casual non-pro photographer? What are the key disadvantages of a point and shoot?

The bottom line, if I get the S95 what am I going to miss? I can slip the S95 into my pocket but need to carry a shoulder bag to cart around a DSLR. The DSLR also attracts a lot more attention in some locales where I prefer to maintain a lower profile.

Hmmmmm, Sound to me like you're itching to spend money on a "new something" rather than take great pictures.

Hell, some of my best equipment is over 30 years old but delivers superior photos every time I use them.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I just recently bought a Fuji X10, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't yet missed my DSLR. (I actually sold my Canon 7d, though I still have a 20d and several lenses). Naturally, the X10 can't compete with the 7d on lots of things, but since it's so small I actually use it, instead of leaving it at home because I don't want to carry around a bag. There's practically no shutter lag, like P&S cameras of the past, and the optical zoom is controlled manually, just like an SLR camera, which is really nice. The lens is a 28-112mm (equivalent) zoom, with an maximum aperture of 2.8 available even at 112mm, and a macro mode which allows me to focus within one centimeter of the subject. The continuous shooting mode is even surprisingly fast. Naturally, the 7d was faster but I'm pretty sure this camera is faster than my 20d in that regard.

There are some downsides, of course. It has an optical viewfinder, but there is no information displayed in it. That's not a major problem for me, but it would be nice to have some info available in the viewfinder. Of course, if they had done that I guess the camera would have cost a lot more. Even though I believe it has the largest sensor in its class, it's still a small sensor. In theory this would mean higher noise levels, and indeed compared to my 7d the noise is certainly higher. But to my eyes the level of noise appears lower than with my 20d. From what I've read, small sensors also do poorly in producing that great depth of field like you can get with a DSLR. I've definitely noticed this, though most of my photographs are affected very little by it. One last thing, while this camera focuses surprisingly fast (I'd say almost as fast as the 20d), it does seem to have a little more trouble focusing in low light when compared to the DSLRs I've owned. It's not enough to be a problem really, but it is something I've noticed.

Overall, I love this camera and, perhaps sadly, I don't miss using either of my DSLRs at all. I sold the 7d because I needed the money, but I'll probably sell the 20d and my lenses at the beginning of the year. I simply have no desire to use it since I've had the X10.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
This morning, Amazon had the Canon S95 for $229 with free shipping. Not sure if they are sold out yet, but thought i would pass it along. Also, Amazon has a bunch of Canon lenses on sale. I posted the links at the Shopping and consumer forum here at CD:

Canon lenses on sale at Amazon

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
With new crop of relatively compact interchangeable lens cameras, it ultimately boils down to what size would you find acceptable. If it has to be tiny that slips into a shirt/pant pocket, no interchangeable lens camera would do. Anything larger, but still small enough to allow for portability, I would go with likes of Sony NEX with a pancake lens, and a travel zoom (like that 18-200mm) packed elsewhere and taken out only when you want the flexibility. You'd end up with the best of both worlds. I'm contemplating this very option actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography