Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Not sure why it bugs me, but when I go to a place where there is a lot of people taking pictures then I see that one person whip out their bedazzeled iPAD, and start snapping pictures and videos it drives me up the wall, I don't know why. Does any one else feel this way. Or do I have issues
Agree with others. You have some issues that you need to address; otherwise you will always be bothered by what others use to take pictures or videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
What bugs me is when someone uses a phone or tablet camera for PHOTOGRAPHY as in the artistic kind, vs snapshots (I understand in that case). To express the sentiment that carrying a camera with you all the time is too much to ask, when you're a PHOTOGRAPHER, and when they make models like a Panasonic GM1 that are very small but have a larger sensor for good image quality & interchangeable lenses etc, that's just lame. That's like being a chef & then serving instant microwave Swanson meals in a culinary exhibit.

LRH
Perhaps you should look at the photos taken with pinhole cameras, or with smartphones and the rest. You will be amazed at the images created by some people with smartphones and all kinds of gadgets. In fact, a good photographer can create a better image using a cell phone than a bad photographer using a top of the line camera.
http://www.noupe.com/photography/40-...nes-72749.html

Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
What annoys me is when these thoughtless SOBs hold those damn tablets up at performances and block everyone's view behind them.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps you should look at the photos taken with pinhole cameras, or with smartphones and the rest. You will be amazed at the images created by some people with smartphones and all kinds of gadgets. In fact, a good photographer can create a better image using a cell phone than a bad photographer using a top of the line camera.
40 Incredible Photos Captured with SmartPhones - noupe
Regardless, why would you purposely use a crippled toy of a camera for such serious stuff when better tools are readily available, and when many of them are very portable? If immediate sharing is the reason, there's always an Eye-Fi card. But if you are serious about it, the natural thing to do is to get a camera that measures up to your aspirations & thus liberates you to be the best you can be, the same way a NASCAR driver gets a nice car that can compete with others in a race, just like someone who aspires to play golf a lot gets a GOOD set of golf clubs. You don't see Arnold Palmer out on the golf range with a set of broomsticks, do you?

Some people think it's snotty, but to me, if you're really a photographer and want to "rate," you get such a real camera, learn how to use it, learn some techniques, and get something like a m4/3rds or mirrorless or advanced compact and pocket that thing EVERYWHERE you go, EVERYWHERE and ALL the time, or frankly you just don't rate. You don't use your PHONE. That would be like Keith Richards or Jimi Hendrix (if he were still with us) playing a kid's Fisher Price guitar ON PURPOSE rather than using a nice one commensurate with their outstanding skill level. Phone-cameras are for the Kodak Easyshare or Polaroid crowd or college students documenting their frat party hangover moments with "rabbit ears" group photos and "selfies" in the mirror, NOT for serious art endeavors.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Regardless, why would you purposely use a crippled toy of a camera for such serious stuff when better tools are readily available, and when many of them are very portable? If immediate sharing is the reason, there's always an Eye-Fi card. But if you are serious about it, the natural thing to do is to get a camera that measures up to your aspirations & thus liberates you to be the best you can be, the same way a NASCAR driver gets a nice car that can compete with others in a race, just like someone who aspires to play golf a lot gets a GOOD set of golf clubs.

Some people think it's snotty, but to me, if you're really a photographer and want to "rate," you get such a real camera, learn how to use it, learn some techniques, and get something like a m4/3rds or mirrorless or advanced compact and pocket that thing EVERYWHERE you go, EVERYWHERE and ALL the time, or frankly you just don't rate. You don't use your PHONE. That would be like Keith Richards or Jimi Hendrix (if he were still with us) playing a kid's Fisher Price guitar ON PURPOSE rather than using a nice one commensurate with their outstanding skill level. Phone-cameras are for the Kodak Easyshare or Polaroid crowd or college students documenting their frat party hangover "selfies," not for serious art endeavors.
But see, you got it all backwards. The proper tool to take a photo is whichever tool you have at hand at the moment. I remember back when film instead of digital cameras were used, and a great number of professional photographers would take test shots with relatively cheap Polaroid cameras, and sometimes with the cardboard Kodak cameras. Then you have very famous street photographers who make a living using point and shoot cameras.

Something else: with a smartphone (or tablet with Wi-Fi and 3G) you can take an impromptu photo or video, and in a matter of seconds the photo or video would be published on the Internet, or be sent to the police, or whatever agency that needs it. Yes, you can do the same with a Canon 6D, and soon with several other cameras.
Quote:
“FACT: Today the smartphone is the world’s most popular camera. They are everywhere you go and almost everyone has one. Every few months it seems that the technology gets better and better. Larger sensors, more megapixels, built in processing and effects. It is like having a camera with built in Photoshop enhancements. Two clicks and you are done and one more click to send to your social media,” Huff told redOrbit. “Amazing what can be done today with a smartphone. As for how it has affected me, it has in little subtle ways. I can snap a shot of my son and send it to Facebook instantly for all of my family to see. I can whip out my phone anywhere, anytime and take a photo. It’s in my pocket. It’s with me at all times. Instant worldwide SHARING is the key word.”
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...dustry-092013/
Finally, look at the news award-wining photographs taken with what we consider toys. All you have to do is to search the Internet, and you will find plenty. As I mentioned before, a good photographer can take a good photograph with a crappy camera, but a bad photographer can only take crappy photos regardless of what camera he or she uses.
Here are the impressive winners of the 2013 iPhone Photography Awards

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/214954/

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/534...eo-5s-scotland
-----------------

That said, I used tow DSLR cameras for all of my photography. At work I use a top of the line iPad (128GB) provided by my employer, since I can instantly send my employer images of the work taking place at the moment, trouble spots, and a myriad of other subjects.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-07-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Holly cow!!! I just realized that this is an old thread that has gotten a second wind, and I helped with that

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But see, you got it all backwards. The proper tool to take a photo is whichever tool you have at hand at the moment.
And if all you have with you is a phone, yet you call yourself a photographer--I'm sorry, but I disagree. If you are a photographer, you ALWAYS have some sort of real & decently high-grade camera on you. ALWAYS.

I got into photography as a hobby myself many years ago as a teen, and was working full-manual focus 35mm SLRs before I was old enough to DRIVE. I learned how to work them with my only resource being the books in the library, we had no Internet then. I took that camera practically EVERYWHERE I went almost.

I'm not trying to hark back on "the good old days" in saying that, but rather this--if a freaking teenager can lug a 35mm SLR everywhere, and can learn how to work one on their own (and I'm talking about one with manual focus, manual film rewind, no pop-up flash or automated scene modes etc), and has the gumption to upgrade from a Kodak instant camera upon becoming interested in photography even if it meant mowing lawns to scrape the money together for their first-ever Nikon, then please spare me with this notion of how a professional can't be bothered to even take an advanced point & shoot like a Nikon Coolpix A or a mirrorless like a Panasonic GM1 with them. Freaking please. Get a real set of golf clubs, or get off the driving range.

LRH

Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,049 times
The best camera that I've ever owned (and still own) is a Nikkormat FT-2 35mm all manual camera made by Nikon. Once you get use to it, it's easier than a digital, IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:19 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
And if all you have with you is a phone, yet you call yourself a photographer--I'm sorry, but I disagree. If you are a photographer, you ALWAYS have some sort of real & decently high-grade camera on you. ALWAYS.

I got into photography as a hobby myself many years ago as a teen, and was working full-manual focus 35mm SLRs before I was old enough to DRIVE. I learned how to work them with my only resource being the books in the library, we had no Internet then. I took that camera practically EVERYWHERE I went almost.

I'm not trying to hark back on "the good old days" in saying that, but rather this--if a freaking teenager can lug a 35mm SLR everywhere, and can learn how to work one on their own (and I'm talking about one with manual focus, manual film rewind, no pop-up flash or automated scene modes etc), and has the gumption to upgrade from a Kodak instant camera upon becoming interested in photography even if it meant mowing lawns to scrape the money together for their first-ever Nikon, then please spare me with this notion of how a professional can't be bothered to even take an advanced point & shoot like a Nikon Coolpix A or a mirrorless like a Panasonic GM1 with them. Freaking please. Get a real set of golf clubs, or get off the driving range.

LRH
Surely you must be joking. I lugged a pack with two full-size DSLRs, three lenses and a tripod 3,000' up a mountain the other day to catch a sunset, yet I shoot with my cell phone all the time when I just want a quick snapshot. I own a cordless electric impact wrench and yet sometimes all I want is a good old fashion screwdriver to tighten a screw. I guess I'm just funny like that.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Surely you must be joking. I lugged a pack with two full-size DSLRs, three lenses and a tripod 3,000' up a mountain the other day to catch a sunset, yet I shoot with my cell phone all the time when I just want a quick snapshot. I own a cordless electric impact wrench and yet sometimes all I want is a good old fashion screwdriver to tighten a screw. I guess I'm just funny like that.
No, I am not joking at all. And yes, what you are describing--if you read my words, I'm not at all disparaging that sort of thing. Even skilled photographers want to just take a "quick snap" every now & then, and we all have varying levels of interest in how much effort we want to, or can, put into something. To that end, your lugging DSLRs and a tripod up a 3,000 foot hike, oh believe me, you get my respect for that, you are more committed than me by a long shot. I salute you for that.

What I am disparaging, though, are the scenarios where (a) you profess interest in "artistic" photography as a hobby, or even aspire to be one professionally and (b) you have opportunities such as the 3,000 foot mountain sunset deal, and you ON PURPOSE take only a phone for that, even as options exist that give DSLR image quality (or darn close to it) in a smaller package. I know a guy who takes an Olympus E-M5 in such situations to go light, finding its image quality isn't far behind at all something like a Nikon D7000, which (especially for 2010 standards) is most certainly an extremely worthy "enthusiast's" level of camera. I don't dismiss that as being "lame" etc, that sounds totally understandable to me. I also don't disparage someone shooting, say, with a Nikon D5100 which is still an SLR & has the exact same image quality as a D7000 but is smaller/lighter & less expensive. (More recent comparisons would be someone taking a D7100 or, for lighter deals, a D5200 or D5300.)

I also don't disparage someone who takes a phone on a 3000 ft hike if they're not someone who is into photography in a hobbyist or enthusiast sense, they are someone who likes to hike and, oh yeah, I guess I'll grab a shot of the place to remember that I was here, they didn't go there almost for the PURPOSE of getting a great shot, it was an "as long as I'm here, I guess I'll do that also quickly" sort of thing. I don't laugh off that sort of thing as "lame" either.

It's just that, when someone who IS into the art of photography in a somewhat serious and/or artistic type of way says "the best camera is the one that you have with you," my reply is "yes, and there are plenty of good ones available that do better than a phone if you profess being in any way serious about this," and with Eye-Fi cards you can share them immediately on a phone too. You get the best of both worlds--immediacy of sharing, and higher quality, with not much extra to tote around.

LRH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography