U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,447,788 times

Advertisements

I have always been interested in photograghy but never done much about it.
In the 90's by brother handed down a film Nikon SRL that I enjoyed .

I am ready for a digital camera that I can learn & grow with and in the ballpark of $1000 ..

Would like to be able to catch video with it.
Enjoy cropping and enlarging ..

One camera store guy suggested the Tamron 17-270 lens .Advice needed with that too. Not having to change lens between shots would be nice .

Thanks..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM

12,702 posts, read 12,003,978 times
Just do it! That's how you learn.......and post !

Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,383,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

One camera store guy suggested the Tamron 17-270 lens .Advice needed with that too. Not having to change lens between shots would be nice .

Thanks..
Considering that the Tamron 18-270 lens is better than 3/4 of the price of the camera, I guess that not having to change lenses between shots,
certainly would be nice! As for the Canon T3i kit, it's one of the best prosumer choices that you can make for the money, and like Tinman said, "Just do it".
I also feel that if, as a former Nikon owner, you found their product to be of quality, that perhaps you might entertain the notion of considering Nikon as a
possible contender for your money. Whatever your choice, please, post your work and I am sure that city-data members will be as helpful to you as the user's
manual, you'll get help and constructive criticism from a broad selection of contributors. I surely wish you every happiness and satisfaction with your ultimate
decision, and I await your results.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 PM

5,623 posts, read 7,116,787 times
To be perfectly honest, I sure wish I had bought the Canon T3i vs. the Nikon D5100. I've always had Canons in the past and feel like I should have stuck with a good thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,383,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
To be perfectly honest, I sure wish I had bought the Canon T3i vs. the Nikon D5100. I've always had Canons in the past and feel like I should have stuck with a good thing.
I'm renaming my D5000, " bad choice"...

Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM

19,691 posts, read 31,496,365 times
I have a T2i, and sometimes wish I had held off for the T3i, just for the hinged monitor view screen.

You can rent lenses at Southeastern Camera on Atlantic Avenue in Raleigh, to get a feel for different lenses before you invest in one.
Easy, no hassle, and reasonable price. Good guys.

I have picked up a Canon 10-22 wide angle lens a few times for real estate shots.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 AM

30,993 posts, read 13,160,695 times
Quote:
I have always been interested in photograghy but never done much about it.
In the 90's by brother handed down a film Nikon SRL that I enjoyed .

I am ready for a digital camera that I can learn & grow with and in the ballpark of $1000 ..

Thanks..
I would suggest adding Sony SLT-A55 to your list unless you have existing lot of lenses laying around that you would like to reuse. I picked mine last June for $699, with the kit lens (18-55). SLT-A35 is priced lower. If you can find one cheaper with just the body. Here are some of the pros and cons of the choice:
-SLT-A55 is not a DSLR. However, it is pretty much the same as a DSLR (with a fixed mirror, instead of one that flips). SLT-A35 is its lesser sibling (whereas, the nicer, more mature, A65 and A77 are more expensive).
-It is light and very compact compared to the typical DSLRs (and even newer SLTs from Sony).
-It uses Sony A-Mount, which is a carryover of Minolta's A-Mount. Consequently, all old Minolta lenses made since 1985 (Auto Focus) can be used.
-Use of old lenses is enhanced by an in-body image stabilization. In other words, you can use a 1985 Minolta lens and still have image stabilization. In fact, you can also get even an old Takumar lens from the 1960s and have image stabilization available.
-Its low light and noise performance is excellent. It is an excellent performer through ISO1600, and very good at ISO3200. I have used ISO6400 a lot, with multi-frame noise reduction to good results.
-It has an Electronic View Finder, which is virtually indistinguishable from an optical View Finder and provides 100% coverage (and 10% enlargement). The downside to it is that, while under normal lighting conditions the EVF is virtually identical to an optical viewfinder (OVF), in low light, you may see pixelation. However, to me, EVF still has a benefit as an OVF would be more prone to showing darkness whereas EVF allows for visibility.
-The live-view is also great as it allows for live histogram (to make exposure adjustments), and any exposure compensation is noticeable, as well as inclusion of an electronic level (to assist the user with keeping the camera level).

Since A55 came out couple of years ago (A35 is relatively new), I'm guessing that its replacement is right around the corner. And that may help you get even better deal on it, if it does happen soon enough.

As for lenses, I suggested getting just the camera body (and save $100 or so, at the expense of kit lens). Instead of the kit lens, you can surely go for one of the zooms. You mentioned Tamron 18-270, which is a good multi-purpose lens and Sigma 18-250 is another. I have only two zoom lenses:
-Sigma 18-250mm/3.5-6.3 HSM OS: This is my all-in-one lens, and competes with Tamron 18-270 that you suggested. After comparing the two (Tamron and Sigma), I settled on Sigma. It has in-lens image stabilization for occasions when I might want to take advantage of it (there are pros and cons to in-lens and in-body image stabilization systems, so I get the best of both worlds with this lens and Sony Alpha).
-Sony 16-50mm/2.8 SSM: This is my "normal" lens, and happens to be the kit lens of Sony's top SLT model (A77). Since acquiring this lens (to replace the 18-55 kit lens), I may have used the travel zoom only once. One of the reasons is its better image quality, lower distortion and especially, low light performance. Surprisingly, it is about as heavy and bulky as the travel zoom but superbly built.

But if your budget is $1K with an all-purpose lens, a $600-700 camera body plus Sigma 18-250 (about $450) would put you right there. Tamron is priced slightly higher. Instead, I would recommend using the $150 to $200 in savings to get a fast prime lens (35/1.8, 50/1.8 or 85/2.8). And you should be able to do this with any brand you may choose to go with. BTW, I would also recommend a look at Pentax, an often ignored brand.

Mind it though, Sony A35 and A55 camera bodies are quite compact. I like it that way but others may not. Here are three angles of my SLT-A55 with the Sigma 18-250 lens mounted:

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 02-13-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,379,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
It is normal to second guess your choice, especially when switching brands. You get used to navigating one way and your fingers hunt that menu. I'm sure that if you shoot enough with that Nikon, you'll eventually get it to do what you want. For a while, I was expecting the little new Oly XZ-1 to do what I can with the T1i and my lenses. I had to do a reality check and remind myself that I didn't get it for the same purpose, and that it doesn't have the same exact features so why should I expect the same out of it. It frustrated me in the beginning that I can't find the controls...I'm getting better at it. I'm sure you're fine with the new Nikon. Don't talk yourself into thinking otherwise...

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM

17,639 posts, read 19,027,454 times
Default Rebel T3i for beginner

Quote:

Thanks..
I bought the Canon EOS Rebel T3i with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm and Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens in July for just under $1,000. My first new SLR was in 1972, and have gone through a lot of cameras... I think the Rebel T3i for beginner would be good.

The T3i meets most of my needs.

I do not see a "Tamron 17-270 lens" on the Tameron site and I have no experience with any recent Tamron lens, Tamron -Photo Lenses but they do have two 18-270mm lenses. Good quality lens's can be expensive... I would search Google for some actual test reports on lens's.

Sometimes I shoot a lot of amateur video, which I usually now prefer to use the Canon SX40. But you can get good video with various cameras. I did this video with the Canon t3i:

2011 Dia de los Muertos Marigold Parade - YouTube

Rich

Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,447,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I do not see a "Tamron 17-270 lens" on the Tameron site and I have no experience with any recent Tamron lens, Tamron -Photo Lenses but they do have two 18-270mm lenses. Good quality lens's can be expensive... I would search Google for some actual test reports on lens's.

That is the one 18-270.. Not sure why I thought 17..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography