Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM

242 posts, read 299,026 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let you know that I had posted this in another forum, but as yet had no replies- sorry. A few weeks ago I put a phone bid in at a somewhat local auction house for publicity photos from tv and film. I never saw them in the flesh. They came from a longtime newspaper reviewer. So now I have quite a few sellable photos.
I seperated them into "probably can sell" and not so likely piles. In the "probably" pile I have several hundred 8x10 b&w photos. They stink from mold. Many are curled. Some have the "crop" marks for the newspaper. Is there a name for the crop marks, and should I mention it in the listing title? Almost all have writing on the back; name of actor or show title or random thought. Some of the writing is in pen, some pencil, some marker. Most all of the photos have a taped write-up ( about the actor, the show, or both) to the back of each photo. I usually make simple tasks difficult ones. I am looking to make these photos sellable in like a day or so. Like several hundred photos.
I've read quite a bit but seem to be a bit dense in the finer points . I read for the curling use steam, then book them with paper towels on both sides. How long? photo side towards or away from the steam? If I do steam will the writing on the back run or migrate to the photo?
I was thinking of using like the throw away baby wipes and give both sides a quick wipe; do I remove the addon write up? Will gently wiping both sides hurt either or both.
As for the mold- I read that it is eating the pulp. Should the back be quickly dipped in say a 5% solution of bleach.? Is there a chemical that can demold ithout ruining the photograph?
There are also many photos where the tape used for the writeup has leached a chemical stain that has discolored the photos. Some slight, some badly. Is it possible to put some sort of bleaching agent onto the back to remove or ameliorate the stains?
The write-ups concern me for a couple of reasons. If I leave them attached- I either should treat them for the smell, or remove them. If I remove them, do I cut them off, or try pulling the tape. Do you think these addons affect value?
Any help would be great - thanks -mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
Seems to me that you could spend so much in money and time in trying to improve their appearance that your profit will end up being minimal. Could you try selling them as a job lot first and see what response you get before working on them?

Make a list of the photos' subjects for any inquirers.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM

242 posts, read 299,026 times
Hi Berenice- I'm invested pretty deep in them. They are mostly actors and actresses from mid 1960's to mid 1970's. Some are pretty common on the big auction site, some seem less so, a few pretty desirable. I don't mind the effort needed. Thanks - Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography