U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,161,858 times

Advertisements

I thought some of you might be interested in this article.

BBC News - In praise of bokeh: the dilemmas of TV filming

"Put on your shades and pull the high collar of your black robe high like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix - we are going to be talking about reality, and its depiction on film. Or on digital video to be precise. We are going to be talking about bokeh.
Bokeh is a Japanese term used by photographers to describe that pleasing effect where the background of a photo is defocused, often into blobs or hexagons, while the subject is razor sharp. It's what you need a real lens for, and it's produced by the effect of the little blades that open and close the aperture, letting the light onto the sensor."
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,765,005 times
Interesting article!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM

30,993 posts, read 13,169,808 times
There is some truth in the article, but a lot of what was said does not make sense. First addressing the former, I had a discussion along the lines in a Sony forum where it appears that Sony is making an attempt to unify its relatively new E-mount for both, digital photography (Sony NEX-series photo cameras) and digital videography (Sony NEX-series video cameras, such as NEX-FS100 mentioned in the article). With even Hollywood making a gradual move towards digital, a more widespread use of SLR lenses is inevitable.

Where the article leaves a lot to be desired is this discussion on bokeh. The assumption made is that large aperture lenses, which can create some interesting bokeh, are something new to TV world. They aren’t. Since Sony NEX-3 can use lenses from pretty much any mount, including the tiny C-mount, I decided to give a TV lens a try to see if it works for photography. There are interesting TV lenses available for use on Sony NEX, including SLR Magic’s 50mm f/0.95! I would love to try that lens someday.

But, for now, I settled for an unmodified, inexpensive C-mount TV lens, a Canon 18-108mm/f1.6 that I found on local CL. That it was a zoom lens, and afforded a large f/1.6 aperture at max zoom was key. If it worked, I would have a good lens to take for low-light action photography. But I was also aware that there will be vignette issues since Sony NEX-series uses a large APS-C size sensor (1.52x crop from full frame) whereas C-mount lenses have smaller image circle. Interchangeable lens cameras like the Micro-Four Thirds from Panasonic and Olympus, with their smaller sensor (2x crop) would work better.

Well, I discovered that with this lens, I got only about a half of the sensor covered. The image was still usable after cropping, and surprisingly sharp. The bokeh was very interesting, as I expected with a large aperture lens (f/1.6) at a focal length with full frame equivalent of 164mm. So, it wasn’t that the bokeh was previously missing, but TV crew likely didn’t investigate larger apertures. If anything, there are plenty of very fast TV lenses out there. Now only if I can find one that can respect the larger APS-C sensor.

Speaking of which, did the article also mention NEX-FS100 as a full frame (35mm sensor)? I think it uses the same sensor size (APS-C) as NEX-series cameras, as I doubt that Sony’s E-mount lenses are currently designed for full frame coverage. However, the next Sony full frame DSLR (or SLT) is rumored to have a hybrid mount, which would allow it to use both, A-mount and E-mount lenses. And this will be yet another step in that direction, of merging videography with photography, not only consolidating lens lineups and mounts, but also minimizing equipment to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography