Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM

328 posts, read 654,582 times

Advertisements

An editing program will do you well....shoot in landscape, I shoot everything in landscape, even people and projects I'm hired for...I fix and perfect my photos using a variety of softwares...My network keeps expanding, and I continue to slowly raise my prices, I must be doing something right. Messing around with camera settings helps with pictures for sure, but even the most complex sophisticated setup wont get you a picture that cant be made better. Dont get too carried away or concerned about what settings you are in, just dont select a nighttime option, that'll mess all your photos up Use your camera/composition skills for the capturing the picture, and the editing for perfecting the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,422 times
Landscape is just auto which basically just sets the picture control to Landscape as well and doesn't use the flash. For best results shoot in A or S when you want some manual control. P for quick or unimportant shots.

If you shoot in RAW you can tune white-balance and picture control after the fact

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Landscape is just auto which basically just sets the picture control to Landscape as well and doesn't use the flash. For best results shoot in A or S when you want some manual control. P for quick or unimportant shots.

If you shoot in RAW you can tune white-balance and picture control after the fact
Is RAW the best format to shoot in? Provided the person has the software to edit?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post

I shoot in RAW, RAW photos are unprocessed, and uncompressed. I feel you have more to play with shooting in RAW. I also try to shoot in optimal light, so I have a wide range of lighting and contrast adjustment options, without compromising the original picture. I use shutter priority and manual focus for night shots, I messed around with Aperture settings when I was in Utah, and did not get one better photo than I did in landscape

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Also, it depends what you are shooting....I think its all personal preference but they're a few guides out there that state weather you should be in jpeg or raw. Weddings, Events, Journalism - Strongly urged to shoot in RAW. For your personal use, if you're running low on card space - JPEG. Like I said before, I feel RAW photos give you more flexibility in your editing abilities. If you're not editing your photos, JPEG will do you just fine.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
the first one....Take a water picture from the shoreline....about 10 ft back.
second pic....focus on either the boats, or the pier....Put you object in the middle of the view....this pic in particular isn't doing justice to either..being split between the water view, boats and pier....

Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
the first one....Take a water picture from the shoreline....about 10 ft back.
second pic....focus on either the boats, or the pier....Put you object in the middle of the view....this pic in particular isn't doing justice to either..being split between the water view, boats and pier....
Finally, a sensible answer. You need to improve your compositions and these are good tips. The other half of the battle is the light. Don't shoot in midday like these shots were taken. Shoot either one hour before dawn, or one hour after sunset. Those are the golden hours of photography. If you don't find good comps in good light, all the post processing in the world isn't going to help.

BTW, the shot with the boats was taken with a Panasonic DMC-ZS10 according to your EXIF data.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Finally, a sensible answer. You need to improve your compositions and these are good tips. The other half of the battle is the light. Don't shoot in midday like these shots were taken. Shoot either one hour before dawn, or one hour after sunset. Those are the golden hours of photography. If you don't find good comps in good light, all the post processing in the world isn't going to help.

BTW, the shot with the boats was taken with a Panasonic DMC-ZS10 according to your EXIF data.
Very good suggestions, lighting makes or breaks a scenic picture. Thanks for the compliment also.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

oops you mean 1 hour after dawn and 1 hour before sunset. You had it backwards.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
oops you mean 1 hour after dawn and 1 hour before sunset. You had it backwards.
Actually what I said is what I meant. Although after some googling, I see that yours is the more commonly accepted definition. I just don't agree with it. I start shooting when possible an hour before dawn, and as soon as the sun has fully cleared the horizon, the morning is usually over for me. That's the time when harsh shadows and washed out colors begin. But it's not a fast rule either. It really depends on the atmospheric conditions. If there's any haze or clouds on the horizon, your sweet light can be somewhat extended. The same holds true for sunsets. Think of all the spectacular sunsets you see. They're usually shot *after* the sun as dropped below the horizon, are they not? That indirect light bouncing off the atmosphere and back to earth is very sweet light. But if you have a clear morning, direct sunlight even at a very low angle can be quite unpleasant. On the other hand, if it's been diffused, it can be amazing. Still, for me, the bulk of the golden hours are before dawn, and after sunset, just like I said.

Rather than arguing about the precise definition, I think we can agree that shooting around the dawn and dusk hours produce the best photos and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography