Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM

328 posts, read 655,004 times

Advertisements

Im gearing up to drop a serious amount of cash on some photos I've taken that I'd like to have printed off and attempt to sell. I visited Kinkos, UPS, and FedEx....all have great printers, but can not print my photos as large as I'd like them to be. How large can you print 10.2 mgpx photos without compromising quality ? I'd like to print them as large as possible, eying up 24/36 or 30/42....and where can you have it done ? Anything online ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Professional Prints : Mpix.Com go up to 24x36".
WHCC - White House Custom Colour go up to 30x40".

However, with 10mp, if you don't wish to lose any quality at ALL, technically you can't go bigger than 8.5x13" (I'm bad at math, but I'm pretty sure that's right). But because the bigger the picture, the farther away you view it, small imperfections are not noticeable - this is where it becomes subjective to the individual. Personally, I think you could probably get away with 16x20" - I printed from 8mp around 13x19" once and it looked fine. I've had billboards done with 18mp which, even with that many mp is still way beyond it's technical capabilities, and it looked great because apart from the guy plastering the billboard up, no one can get that close to a billboard to see the image quality anyway.

But 24x36" or bigger would definitely be over the capabilities of 10mp, in my opinion. And if you do not want to compromise any quality, even knowing it will be viewed from farther back and won't be noticeable, your limit is 8.5x13".

This is all assuming that there is no cropping (except to fit the right ratio).

Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
I've printed 13X19 without detail loss, which is what Nikon says is max print size for my camera.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM

well shucks....thats not very large...I cant sell those for hundreds of dollars...

Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM

What are you shooting with? If you're serious about selling big prints, you might want to invest in new equipment.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
well shucks....thats not very large...I cant sell those for hundreds of dollars...
Once the photo is matted & framed it will be around 27" X 21" which is a decent size IMO. Before dumping much money in large format printing you might want to observe more on how photos are framed.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
You can't sell a crappy photo for hundreds of bucks even if it 10' X 8' it all comes down to the photo itself not the size!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
You can't sell a crappy photo for hundreds of bucks even if it 10' X 8' it all comes down to the photo itself not the size!
Got that right!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Trust me, my last worry is the photo itself. And I dont care what it is, I'm not paying 200-300 bucks for an 10X8 photo. I specialize in photos that are meant to be seen, stand out, and be large. I'm not too concerned with framing, that will be on the buyers end to get that taken care of. I will do my best to make them compilable with off the shelf frames. I'm about quality materials, inks, and an exceptional finished product, that being the printed photo.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Trust me, my last worry is the photo itself.
Really? You're that good of a photographer? I'd love to see your work, can you show us?

Quote:
I specialize in photos that are meant to be seen, stand out, and be large.
How so? I could be wrong here but I assume you have never done this before or you wouldn't be asking about it so how can you specialize in something you've never done before? Even if you work in the industry somehow but never done it yourself, I would have thought you wouldn't need to ask about it.

Quote:
I'm not too concerned with framing, that will be on the buyers end to get that taken care of.
At the size you're wanting to print, you should really reconsider that. Prints that size should come framed. When someone buys something that large, for that amount of money, they expect a masterpiece and how will it look when this masterpiece is incomplete and won't come ready to hang on a wall? Who is going to lay down $200+ for something they then have to go to the time and trouble and cost of framing too? I once knew a photographer who put it this way: "When you buy a car, the tires don't come separately, right? You're not expected to go out and buy your own tires and have them put on. So why would you sell a print without the frame?"

Also, consider the fact that when photographers charge that much for a print, a good portion of the cost is in the framing. You could maybe charge even more and make even more money by framing it yourself. I think this was sort of WFW&P's point - that once it's matted and framed, it will look larger and you can get away with charging more.

If you're still set against framing, I hope that you at least plan to matte/mount them - you cannot expect someone to pay $200+ for something that will come rolled up like a poster!

Quote:
I'm about quality materials, inks, and an exceptional finished product, that being the printed photo.
If you are that concerned with these elements of the presentation of your work, you should equally be concerned about framing being under your control too. Framing is a big part of presentation and as you describe here, presentation is very important. To obsess over certain elements of it and ignore others would be very foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography