Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

I have a new camera & am a novice photographer..
When at a public place or crowd event and I am playing with my camera , exactly what is okay..

A picture of group of kids playing at a park ?? I ride at the fair with kids on it.
A close up of one cute kid on that ride ??

A cute kid & pet at a park ??

My kids are all grown and I am trying to think what I would have thought about each of the above.
Any indication that a photographer was zooming in on my kid would have bothered me..

Need advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
I have read on here that it's the photographers legal right to photograph anything, if it's in a public place. If it can be seen from a public place anything can be photographed.
Having said that some parents may confront you as you zoom in on their progeny. Some just verbally, some may even physically assault you and some may try the legal approach and involve a member of the local gendarmerie.

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AS A PHOTOGRAPHER

In a nutshell, if you are standing on public property, such as a city street, city sidewalk, or public park, you may legally photograph anything and anyone that you can see. The same applies if you are on private land with permission of property owner.

You may NOT publish photographs of recognizable individuals without their specific and written permission, or in the case of minors, without the permission of their guardian.

Common sense dictates that photographing minors in public, children unknown to the photographer, can raise concerns about proprietary behavior. Better to gain prior permission, than defend one's activities in a verbal or even a violent confrontation. Or even worse in a police station or court of law.

Here are some internet references worth printing and making available when questioned by private citizens or public servants, such as police:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

http://www.billadler.net/Photographe...ights_Card.pdf

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I have read on here that it's the photographers legal right to photograph anything, if it's in a public place. If it can be seen from a public place anything can be photographed.
Having said that some parents may confront you as you zoom in on their progeny. Some just verbally, some may even physically assault you and some may try the legal approach and involve a member of the local gendarmerie.
Spot-on. And just because it's legal, that doesn't mean the cops won't hassle you. In general police are woefully ignorant of photographer rights and most likely would side with the parents. You could even be accused of being a pedophile. I know photographers that this has happened to. If it went to court, you would win assuming you had a half-way decent lawyer. But at what expense and possible damage to your reputation? Tread carefully there.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
good to know..

I would not be close enough for a parent to even realize, and would respect any concerns..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
good to know..

I would not be close enough for a parent to even realize, and would respect any concerns..
They could still notice, even with a telephoto lens. In fact, trying to do it on the sly may make it seem even more devious.

I've known photographers who have been confronted by parents even when they weren't taking photos of kids. For example, a friend of mine was once doing a photoshoot of an adult in a park and suddenly, a parent was there screaming at her that she couldn't take pictures of her daughter. My friend tried to explain that she wasn't, she was taking pictures of the adult stood in front of them and even tried to show the woman the images on the camera's LCD but this psycho woman wouldn't stop ranting long enough to look.

If someone can imagine that a photographer is taking pictures of their kids from afar, they can probably spot someone actually doing it too.

And as pointed out, since you can't publish the photos without the parent's consent anyway, what is the point of taking them without permission?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I think the best thing to do would be when you notice there are some kids in the background , kind of holler out towards the parents "Just so you know some of your kids are in my picture , is it okay to let them stay or do you want them out of it ? " that usually breaks the ice and lets parents know that you are concerned for their safety as well . Whenever I have done this the parents are usually grateful and say thank you . It solves alot of confusion and anger . I hope I have helped .

Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
You need a model release signed by any person you'd like to photograph. If you publish those photographs and the parents happen to find them online, you will face a costly law suit. If you see a group of kids playing, try to approach the parents, and explain why you'd like to photograph them, offer a link to the photos, and have them sign a release. I am a pro photog, and I will not allow anyone to photograph my children without written permission.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I would stick to taking a photograph of my own child and no one else's especially with the "sue you for waking up" crazy society we live in today. Limit it to scenery, trees, grass growing, paint drying or get all the legal issues put into a document and signed by anyone and everyone you photograph or their legal guardians/parents if you plan to publish.

I should have added that I am not a photographer however, I have taken pictures of children from time to time but I have asked their parents permission and it is usually around Halloween because their costumes are cute of the child has a cute saying on a t-shirt. After the photo is taken with my phone I show it to the parents and make sure they approve before I keep it on my phone, if they do not approve I have them push the delete button on my phone so they know the photo has been deleted.

Last edited by CSD610; 11-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Added a paragraph

Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You need a model release signed by any person you'd like to photograph. If you publish those photographs and the parents happen to find them online, you will face a costly law suit. If you see a group of kids playing, try to approach the parents, and explain why you'd like to photograph them, offer a link to the photos, and have them sign a release. I am a pro photog, and I will not allow anyone to photograph my children without written permission.
Absolutely wrong. The only time you need a model release is when the photographs are used for commercial purposes. I can take pictures of your kids in a public park, with or without your permission, put them on my website and there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

There's a lot of information about this on the web and you were given a couple of references above. Here's another. Is it legal to take photos of people without asking? | PhotoRights.org

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
That is in the UK, and it is worth Nothing here, and it doesn't even look legitimate, as in Gov Backed.....We live in the US. You take a photo of kid and you'll get a law suit in your mailbox.

My KIDS are NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Absolutely wrong. The only time you need a model release is when the photographs are used for commercial purposes. I can take pictures of your kids in a public park, with or without your permission, put them on my website and there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

There's a lot of information about this on the web and you were given a couple of references above. Here's another. Is it legal to take photos of people without asking? | PhotoRights.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography