Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I just got a new lens for my Nikon D40. It's one of these Chinese C-mount CCTV lenses that people have been using with an adaptor:

Fujian 35mm F1 7 CCTV TV Lens Mount to EP1 EP2 GF1 GF2 | eBay

The main reason I got it was because I've seen shots people have taken with them, like these:

... however, this was the furthest away I was able to get from a subject without it just becoming a blur:

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have a super-saturated, vignette-ing macro lens... but it's not quite what I expected!

Thoughts/advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
The lens has a very shallow DoF and more so at close focusing distance which these two examples seem to illustrate. Have you tried shooting landscape with it? I would go f/4.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The lens has a very shallow DoF and more so at close focusing distance which these two examples seem to illustrate. Have you tried shooting landscape with it? I would go f/4.
The only problem is that if I go to "landscape" mode, it tells me that there's no lens attached! I can only shoot in "manual" mode.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
You get what you pay for . Sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
The link shows this lens being used on a mirrorless camera. The lens to focal plane distance at infinity in a mirrorless is less than a D40 SLR. Your pictures make perfect sense- you can't get the lens close enough to the focal plane to focus at infinity. Yes, you have a macro lens.

For what you want- buy the Nikon 35 mm 1.8 for about $200. Nearly the same f number, and it will actually work.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You get what you pay for . Sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.
*shrug* I don't think I'll cry for $29.

Besides, now I have a new macro lens!! Sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1
The link shows this lens being used on a mirrorless camera. The lens to focal plane distance at infinity in a mirrorless is less than a D40 SLR. Your pictures make perfect sense- you can't get the lens close enough to the focal plane to focus at infinity. Yes, you have a macro lens.
Well, I guess that'd be it, then.

Quote:
For what you want- buy the Nikon 35 mm 1.8 for about $200. Nearly the same f number, and it will actually work.
Cool, I've been looking at that lens as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The only problem is that if I go to "landscape" mode, it tells me that there's no lens attached! I can only shoot in "manual" mode.
Stay in Manual mode but shoot at f/4 or smaller. It focuses to infinity? Flange distance may also be an issue since C-mount is short (it will work on my NEX but not on A55). It is a nice value in my opinion with quirkiness that is literally its character. A nice one I found: Flickr

More On Flickr

On your D40, you may be able to use for portraits or closeup if infinity focus is an issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The D40 & D40X (I owned the latter) do not have focus motors built into the camera body, hence their small size and light weight. For any of the auto focus functions to work the lens must have a focus motor. Nikon labels these lenses as AF-S or AF-I. This is why your are getting the "no lens attached" message.
As rational1 pointed out the photos show the lens mounted on mirrorless cameras, scrolling further down Nikon is not listed as a compatible camera for that lens.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Yep, wrong lens for the camera. Although the train image you posted looks like a tilt shift lens, are you sure it was taken with that lens (and the lens wasn't modified/picture wasn't Photoshopped?)

Either way, Nikon has a huge sale on lenses right now. I think the 35mm had a small discount. In the past several years I've never seen it on sale. I bought mine a year ago and just sold it a few weeks ago for only 20 dollars less than I paid.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Yep, wrong lens for the camera. Although the train image you posted looks like a tilt shift lens, are you sure it was taken with that lens (and the lens wasn't modified/picture wasn't Photoshopped?)
That cheap little lens can produce those effects, and is quite fun to use. It is part of its character (see the Flickr links above for images taken with that lens on Sony NEX). Normally, inexpensive C-mount lenses will vignette a lot on APS-C sensors (and generally work fine on micro-4/3), but this lens is an exception. However, being a C-mount lens, the flange distance is also too big on DSLRs (non-issue on Sony NEX cameras) which will limits its use to close focusing only.

I've often been tempted to get this lens being so cheap ($30-35 delivered) and with quirkiness it can deliver but with a "normal" 35mm/1.8 already at hand, it would not be used much. I do have an eye on Zeiss Tevidon 35mm lens, but it is an expensive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography