Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Advertisements

I bought my first large format printer nearly ten years ago and never purchased a RIP package go go with it. For normal printing Corel or Photoshop do fine but what do you do when you need a banner or panorama wider than the editing software drivers will print. It's RIP to the rescue. RIP software is not an editor. It is a translator of the image that has been edited already to the printer. Some of the key things provided by RIP software is more accurate color, multiple images laid out on a sheet of larger paper for max efficiency, & improved interpolation for up sizing. There are probably more. I learned a few years back that Photoshop could not print the length of banner I had created and never knew why it would not print at the time. Now that much higher resolution cameras are here I will add a RIP to my arsenal of printing tools. There are several to choose from but I'm stating with this one to learn from.

Qimage Ultimate - The Ultimate in Batch Photo Printing

There are others as listed here:

I'm only listing versions that are for my Epson 7900.

ImagePrint 8.0 Rip Software for Epson 7900 Windows Ed Raster :: ImagePrint for 7xx0 Series Printers :: ImagePrint Rip for Windows (Colorbyte) :: RIP Software :: Digital Technology Group

ColorBurst X-Photo (up to 24 inches wide) Windows Postscript :: Colorburst Queue Series Windows :: Colorburst for Windows :: RIP Software :: Digital Technology Group

Onyx RipCenter Midsize Edition RIP Software Version x10 - up to 24" printers :: Onyx :: RIP Software :: Digital Technology Group

Wasatch SoftRIP Large Format Edition :: Wasatch :: RIP Software :: Digital Technology Group

These are just some of what are on the market. These are professional tools and not needed for very day amateur printing. If you are interested in doing pro work for indoor store signage then a RIP should be used.

Now what does a plotter do? Here is a demonstration video for the way those odd shaped signs seen in stores. Basically it expands what the newest camera technology can produce.

Graphtec FC8000 Series - High Performance Roll-Feed Cutter - YouTube

This thread has been posted for those who are looking for a way to earn beyond the hobby level. I do hope this starts some wheels to turning. Anyone shooting a Nikon 7100, Canon 6D, Canon 70D, and even Nikon 5200 and Canon Rebel 5Ti bodies with good glass can take advantage of this technology. There is a demand for sign making using cameras even for small mom and pop stores. If this post helps one person expand there skills it was worth my time and I'm glad to help. The guitar decals I'm working on will be cut out using CorelDraw and save many man hours of using a razor knife. It is an exciting new world of digital imaging and the possibility are endless.

I endorse none of the above products and have no connections to them. I study them and got to trade shows and see them in actions and make up my own mind. The time has come for both the RIP and the plotter to cut out the irregular shapes of decals and signs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography