Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:48 AM

48 posts, read 63,786 times

Advertisements

I go anywhere and all over the place. I never take dumb risks, but I am not necessarily scared of seedy areas. Nothing ever happened to me, probably because of the way I carry myself (and maybe a little luck).

Recently I added a Sony RX-1R to my gear, which is an amazing full-frame camera with an unbelievable Zeiss lens. I'm pretty sure that to the average ignorant user, it doesn't look much more impressive than a nice point & shoot, which is something I really like about it. It doesn't have the same kind of presence as a DSLR, even though it costs $3k and matches, and sometimes even exceeds, the IQ of the top models.

I'm planning a travel through the US and I'm also going to hit cities like Chicago, Memphis, and maybe even Detroit. My plan is to document my journey and try to avoid the beaten path every now and then. I intend to meet people along the way, hear their story and take some photos of them and their environment. If I meet someone I'm comfortable with who offers to take a little tour of some of the more less... touristy areas, I'm completely open to that, too. Stuff like that fascinates me to no end.

With all that said, would a camera like that around my neck make me a more prime target than the average guy?

I just want to hear some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
I’d have to say “yes”. Don’t expose any valuables while in strange areas of most cities. You’re sure to become a target for those who simply want whatever valuables you might have. If you have a camera, you most likely have a cell phone, and a wallet with money. Cameras are good items to pawn or sell on Craigslist quickly and turn a profit. Avoid seedy areas, there’s nothing but trouble waiting for you there, and travel with another person if possible at all times or stay in groups of others. It’s always helpful to have someone watch your back!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,587,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfella View Post
With all that said, would a camera like that around my neck make me a more prime target than the average guy?

I just want to hear some opinions.
It depends on a lot. I don't usually like anything around my neck, one reason for clip on ties... It's hard to judge
approaching danger. I have seen two purse snatchings over the years. Never got to really see what happened.
But I've been pretty lucky walking around with a camera...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-11-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM

48 posts, read 63,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It depends on a lot. I don't usually like anything around my neck, one reason for clip on ties... It's hard to judge
approaching danger. I have seen two purse snatchings over the years. Never got to really see what happened.
But I've been pretty lucky walking around with a camera...
You took that photo?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,078,607 times
There is not really any kind of "illegal secondary market" for camera like there is for smart phones.

I am sure no thief in any US urban area would risk holding up anyone for any kind of camera -- there are lots and lots of famed street photographers that have shot with far more pricey Leicas, Hasselblads or Rolleiflex cameras in a lots worse situations than you will ever likely come across.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfella View Post
You took that photo?
Yes. With a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, taken in New Mexico...

Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is not really any kind of "illegal secondary market" for camera like there is for smart phones.

I am sure no thief in any US urban area would risk holding up anyone for any kind of camera -- there are lots and lots of famed street photographers that have shot with far more pricey Leicas, Hasselblads or Rolleiflex cameras in a lots worse situations than you will ever likely come across.
But some thieves will grab anything... If something catches their eye, and they see a chance, they can grab and run.

You are sure "no thief in any US urban area would risk holding up anyone for any kind of camera"?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,150,314 times
I've traveled all over the US and most continents and I always carried several cameras and lenses.

I've been in many undesirable areas, including the Amazon Rain Forrest where we saw someone chasing someone else with a gun (a few minutes later we heard shots--needless to say, we got the Hell out of there) In Caracas, we had to have body guards. I won't even talk about Mexico and the Federalles.

And so you wont accuse me of bashing other countries, there are many areas here in Cincinnati that people tell me I am crazy to take my equipment!

The only time I lost a camera was in the Munich Bahnhoff by a group of kids. I had a EOS 3 around my neck and, being the well seasoned traveler that I am, I was standing on the neck-strap with my A2E tight between my feet (One foot on one side of strap - the other foot on the other side) A group of young kids, maybe 25, ran by with several bumping into me. Voila, no A2E.

That's why I have an insurance rider on all of my gear!!

The only thing that I really lost was one roll of B-W film that I shot at Dachau Concentration Camp. A major loss because Dachau deserved to be shot in B&W

Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 PM

106,060 posts, read 108,015,953 times
marilyn and i were accosted 2 years ago right in a nice neighborhood park. it can happen any where.

it was only by the luck of how things played out i was able to grab a log on the ground and chase the bad guy off. very unexpected event.

on the other hand unknowingly my wife starts doing a photoshoot one day for a very prominant national street gang which turned out very un-eventful.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

FROM: Famous San Francisco Street Photographer Justin Ryan Beck Gets Camera Stolen From His Hands at Arguello and Balboa « San Francisco Citizen

OTOH, popular photographer Justin Ryan Beck does his good art, his street photography, for free for one and all – isn’t that nice? Or least it was nice, until yesterday, when the digital camera he was using got stolen out of his hands in the Richmond District at four-something PM in the afternoon:

His last photo: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography