Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times

Advertisements

I just hope the canon 70D and tamron 18-270mm lens is a good match. That's what I plan to buy in the future plus aftermarket batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I just hope the canon 70D and tamron 18-270mm lens is a good match. That's what I plan to buy in the future plus aftermarket batteries.
From what was said in post #10, you just have to make sure your 3rd party lenses have built-in focusing motors.

We will also see more and more dependence on lens databases built into cameras. More and more, built-in camera firmware will be used to compensate for lens shortcomings. The cameras will have databases of the characteristics of the lenses, and the cameras will automatically manipulate the image to compensate for the lens characteristics.

But of course, the cameras will not contain data for the 3rd party lenses. The 3rd party lenses will either have to closely match the characteristics of the manufacturer's lenses and then "lie" to the camera, or they will have to release firmware updates of their own to be loaded to the cameras.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From what was said in post #10, you just have to make sure your 3rd party lenses have built-in focusing motors.

We will also see more and more dependence on lens databases built into cameras. More and more, built-in camera firmware will be used to compensate for lens shortcomings. The cameras will have databases of the characteristics of the lenses, and the cameras will automatically manipulate the image to compensate for the lens characteristics.

But of course, the cameras will not contain data for the 3rd party lenses. The 3rd party lenses will either have to closely match the characteristics of the manufacturer's lenses and then "lie" to the camera, or they will have to release firmware updates of their own to be loaded to the cameras.
Canon may already be offering firmware upgrades so that the new body adjusts to some of the Canon lenses (maybe these are rumors?), but I don't know of any third party lens not working with Canon cameras, and here is the place to find out:
Canon EOS Digital Cameras - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nikon has made changes in the new d5300 and the new DF that makes them very hard to use with after market lenses....
it also is not finacially easy to just change to canon assuming they didn't change things....
Canon has been doing this forever. When I was shooting with film EOS cameras (EOS-1x) I had a dandy Tamron 28-105 f2.8. It was the only 3rd party lens I carried, and I didn't buy it because it was cheaper than Canon; I bought it because it offered so much more range than Canon's 28-70 f2.8, and for practical purposes, it was just as sharp. (MY practical purposes.)

Then I moved to digital with the 1D and D60. Suddenly I noticed that my on-camera flashes weren't always working quite right. After numerous conversations with Canon's techs, I finally discovered that it was only happening when I was using the Tamron lens. Yup, Canon had changed some of the firmware with the introduction of the digital line, and with certain settings (can't recall which ones now), the flash underexposed.

I contacted Tamron to find that they knew all about it. Because the lens was still under the (5-year) warranty period, they told me to send it in and they'd give me a free fix. I overnighted it to them, they updated the firmware, CLA'd it, and shipped it back to me overnight, all for free. I had it back working less than a week after I'd sent it off! They told me that they only did this for "professional" lenses, but I've thought pretty highly of Tamron since this ordeal. Still, I traded that lens for a Canon 28-70 and haven't bought another 3rd party lens.

But my point is, don't get on Nikon's case for this. You get the same thing from Canon. That wasn't the first time and probably wasn't the last time that Canon has made some firmware changes with new bodies. I've always promoted camera manufacturer's lenses for this reason. AFAIK, the oldest Canon EF lens still works just fine on the newest Canon body, but that's far from the case with any 3rd party lens of that era.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Maybe that was happening with older Tamron lenses? I had a Tamron 17-50 I used with a Canon 40D, as well as a Tokina 12-24. Both lenses work as well as ever with my 7D. I gave the 40D and the Tamron lens to my oldest son. The Tokina 11-16mm also works well at 16mm on the 5DII, but since I now have another Tokina lens for FF, I only use the 11-16 on the 7D.

Hera are some details about third party lens/Canon incompatibility:
http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_3rdparty.html

Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Simpler times...

Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Very nice, EinsteinsGhost

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
You can use older lens on the models without internal focusing motors, you just can't use them in auto focus.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Very few today want to bother with non auto focus lenses.

More and more you are going to see less and less licensing of technology by the camera manufacturers as they attempt to capture more revenue.

Cell phones are killing the point and shoot market and profits are hurting.

The smartest thing a serious photographer can do is avoid buying 3rd party expensive lenses if you don't want to own something that may have limited use or poor resale value down the road.

Don't forget going forward a nikon user with a post d5300 or newer camera may not be able to buy a 3rd party lens on the used market killing values down the road.

We are not talking about updates to most of these lenses to make them work again with nikon cameras going forward,as of now we are talking unable to be updated at all. In fact unless nikon licenses the technology the 3rd party manufacturers may have a hard time making something that works fully.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-28-2013 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Very few today want to bother with non auto focus lenses.

More and more you are going to see less and less licensing of technology by the camera manufacturers as they attempt to capture more revenue.
With the sole exception of Nikon and Canon both licensing Kodak's early digital camera to use their mounts, neither company has ever licensed their mounts to 3rd party lens manufacturers.

Remember that Nikon especially is basically a lens manufacturer even more than it is a camera manufacturer. Lenses are their company history, tradition, and honor. They were even Canon's original lens supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography