Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 PM

184 posts, read 491,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Last year my husband gave me a 100 mm f/2.8 macro lensfor Christmas. It's my favorite lens - simply incredible for the money.
I can see why that is your favorite... gorgeous photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Here's some photos I took with my Sigma 105mm macro:

I apologize for the very large photos but I think you have to see them large to appreciate the power of the macro! The two photos at the top are of the new 20 pound note and of a 20 pence coin, for people who haven't seen British money before.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
The Canon macro lenses are excellent. Sigma 105mm Macro is supposedly an excellent lens for macro photography. But one still can use a set of Kenko tubes coupled to a "nifty fifty" for outstanding macro photos of insects and such.

These are water droplets as they ascend from the water below. I used a Sigma 70-300mm lens with macro mode on both the Rebel XT and the lens. These are JPEG photos. Used the built-in flash, and a flashlight, and a red-laser pointer to add color to the photos.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
All polarizers reduce the amount of light coming into the camera. Most reduce it by about 2 stops but the camera's metering should compensate and produce normally exposed images.

Are your polarizers by any chance linear polarizers? For a DSLR with a semi-silver mirror you should be using circular polarizers. Linear polarizers can have a negative impact on metering and auto-focus. If you're using a circular polarizer but you're still consistently getting incorrect exposure you can compensate by dialing in positive EV whenever you have the polarizer on.
They are linear polarizers.

Should I toss them and get some circulars? Or are there pros/cons to both?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The Canon macro lenses are excellent. Sigma 105mm Macro is supposedly an excellent lens for macro photography. But one still can use a set of Kenko tubes coupled to a "nifty fifty" for outstanding macro photos of insects and such.

These are water droplets as they ascend from the water below. I used a Sigma 70-300mm lens with macro mode on both the Rebel XT and the lens. These are JPEG photos. Used the built-in flash, and a flashlight, and a red-laser pointer to add color to the photos.

Amazing pics. WOW!

Thanks for sharing....maybe one day I can shoot something like that....I'm still working on basics...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
They are linear polarizers.

Should I toss them and get some circulars? Or are there pros/cons to both?
If you have a P&S or a film camera or something without a semi-silver mirror and/or splitter inside then I would keep them because you can use them just as they were intended to be used. For your DSLR I would definitely get a circular polarizer to ensure the metering and auto focus work consistently and reliably. However, since they are more expensive, one thing you can do to save money is to get one that fits your largest lens. Then pick up step-down rings so you can use the same filter on your smaller lenses. Another option would be to use a Cokin type system. Though if you went this route I would get Lee or Schneider polarizing and ND filters as Cokin's aren't neutral in color. Cokin's color filters and effects filters are fine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography